ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017-178/)
-   -   Foglights on without Headlights? (2013+) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/802448-foglights-on-without-headlights-2013-a.html)

jasone36 11-05-15 07:38 AM

Foglights on without Headlights? (2013+)

Hello,

I'm wondering if it's possible to turn on the foglights without the headlights on the 2013+ LS460. I understand it's not possible without modification on 2007 - 2012 models, but I'm wondering if anything's changed.

Ideally, I would want to run the foglights as "daytime running lights", preferably without modifications.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Shibumi1 11-05-15 07:09 PM

As far as I know it's the same as previous models.. a rewire would be necessary

dal20402 11-05-15 11:07 PM

Would love to have them come on with the parking lights, rather than the headlights, on the '08. They are most useful with parking lights creeping in the thickest fog. But I don't want to rewire and I don't have nearly the l33t h4x0r sk111z to make the change to the BCU.

jasone36 11-06-15 12:14 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I'm wondering if the dealer in the US can "program" the foglights to come on without the headlights (perhaps via the "C-BEST settings?)

I'm pretty confident that international versions of the LS can run their foglights without headlights (for example, I believe the SC430 in Japan could).

jamodeo 11-06-15 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by jasone36 (Post 9243760)
Thanks for the responses.

I'm wondering if the dealer in the US can "program" the foglights to come on without the headlights (perhaps via the "C-BEST settings?)

I'm pretty confident that international versions of the LS can run their foglights without headlights (for example, I believe the SC430 in Japan could).

I have seen a picture of a 2013+ LS run their fogs without headlights on a model from the middle east on this forum.

I have also clicked on every. single. button. in techstream looking for a way to change this, or set the localization of the car to something different to get it to work (like europe, asia, gulf, or ROW.) I have been unsuccessful unfortunately.

The only way I could get it to work was running an "Active Test" in TS which turns them on for that active test, but after that they just return to normal operation.

-Joe

jasone36 11-06-15 01:55 PM

Jamodeo,

Thank you for the very insightful response. At least now we know for 100% certain that it's not possible on a US spec model.

Thanks again for the insight!

jasone36 11-06-15 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I ran across the attached picture showing an LS460 with the fogs on (while headlights were off), and that inspired the idea.

Based on the plate, this is certainly a European spec LS460, however.

roadfrog 11-07-15 08:51 AM

Not possible on a Canadian market car either. Not only that, I can't even disable the factory DRL.

aaauae 11-07-15 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Shibumi1 (Post 9242967)
As far as I know it's the same as previous models.. a rewire would be necessary

Any guide as in how to do the rewire ?

I know a guy here who did it without adding another switch

jasone36 11-07-15 07:57 PM

It would be interesting to see the "rewire" process, but I think it may be dangerous on an modern LS.

I'm concerned something may get fried, if messing with the electronics, and trying to rewire.

roadfrog 11-07-15 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by jasone36 (Post 9245064)
It would be interesting to see the "rewire" process, but I think it may be dangerous on an modern LS.

I'm concerned something may get fried, if messing with the electronics, and trying to rewire.

Nah..... lots of us have done custom wiring for all kinds of upgrades and mods...... everything from auxiliary lighting (LED lights) to remote start, to Nav bypass, etc. Electrics are electrics and the principals don't change in a Lexus.

CRowe14 11-07-15 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by roadfrog (Post 9245094)
Nah..... lots of us have done custom wiring for all kinds of upgrades and mods...... everything from auxiliary lighting (LED lights) to remote start, to Nav bypass, etc. Electrics are electrics and the principals don't change in a Lexus.

Don't let RF fool you, he's just the DIY guru in these parts!
Electronics are no exception! ;)

jasone36 11-07-15 09:03 PM

I appreciate the responses.

Custom wiring work takes subject matter expertise... I'd venture to say the majority of modern LS owners are not super knowledgeable on the fine-grain details of electronics on a complicated beast like an LS... but I'm sure there are a few (like RF).

roadfrog 11-08-15 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by CRowe14 (Post 9245110)
Don't let RF fool you, he's just the DIY guru in these parts!
Electronics are no exception! ;)

LOL. Hardly. ;)

I have NO background in mechanics, electrics, etc. I'm in Law Enforcement. I failed grade 8 electrical shop, and never took any classes in automotive. All I'm saying is, anything that can be done on a Chevy can be done on a Lexus. No magic involved. Youtube, forum members, etc can all provide you with the information you need. It's a 12 volt system.....pos+, neg-, fuses, etc. Same as any other car on the road. :thumbup:

Besides Crowe......weren't you the one afraid to dive into a DIY brake job? How did that turn out for ya??!! :D:thumbup:

Devh 11-08-15 12:05 PM

The lighting system that activates both the headlights and fogs are most likely integrated by a solid state circuit.
You can get around this by simply powering the foglights independently using a switching relay, switch and don't forget the fuse. Add the switch in the compartment and you are done. You have to keep in mind that you will not have the fog light indicator lit when the switch is thrown.

I don't really care what you do to your car however It's considered a big faux pas to run with your fog lights in the daytime and proper etiquette of it's use only when visibility is affected. I don't know all the details but I do know there is a show off new rich stigma that is associated with it .