LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

'07 10k Mile Oil Change Interval - Lab Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-15, 05:26 PM
stkgator
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default '07 10k Mile Oil Change Interval - Lab Analysis

I wanted to (safely) extend the OCI for my '07 LS from 5k miles to 10k miles - similar to the newer LS's with the same engine. To insure that the oil and filter were still usable at this extended interval, I had the oil analyzed by Blackstone Laboratories at both 6.9k miles and 9.8k miles.

As you can see from the attached analysis report, the oil and filter are still very serviceable at 10k miles - so much so that Blackstone suggests that I may be able to get another 2k miles on the oil! With these results and more importantly a 20% safety buffer, I am now very confident to start using the 10k mile OCI schedule.

No make up oil was added during this period.

All previous oil changes, including this one, were done by the local Lexus dealer, so I assume that Toyota OEM filter were used. My recent oil change Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W20 was used.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
oilreports.pdf (54.8 KB, 587 views)

Last edited by stkgator; 09-25-15 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Added additional details.
Old 09-24-15, 05:37 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Awesome. Thanks for sharing. I am doing a 10k mile OCI as well and should reach it in the coming months. I'm currently at about 7500 miles.

Last edited by roadfrog; 09-26-15 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-24-15, 05:41 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Thanks for posting that. I'm not sure from your post if it was Toyota oil and filter, or if you had used something else for this last change.
Old 09-24-15, 07:03 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Could you kindly ask your dealer what oil they filled your car with. I will see if I can guess based on some of the values from RFs Oil analysis if it's the Toyota synthetic oil. This is a very good analysis and it shows me that it is true that extended oil changes reduces wear.
Old 09-25-15, 04:16 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
Could you kindly ask your dealer what oil they filled your car with. I will see if I can guess based on some of the values from RFs Oil analysis if it's the Toyota synthetic oil. This is a very good analysis and it shows me that it is true that extended oil changes reduces wear.
He says its Penzoil Platinum, and that looks about right based off his UOA.
Old 09-25-15, 04:20 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stkgator
I wanted to (safely) extend the OCI for my '07 LS from 5k miles to 10k miles - similar to the newer LS's with the same engine. To insure that the oil and filter were still usable at this extended interval, I had the oil analyzed by Blackstone Laboratories at both 6.9k miles and 9.8k miles.

As you can see from the attached analysis report, the oil and filter are still very serviceable at 10k miles - so much so that Blackstone suggests that I may be able to get another 2k miles on the oil! With these results and more importantly a 20% safety buffer, I am now very confident to start using the 10k mile OCI schedule.

All previous oil changes, including this one, were done by the local Lexus dealer, so I assume that Toyota OEM filter were used. My recent oil change Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W20 was used.
Wow, the Penzoil Platinum held up really well in your car, looks like you found a winning formula. I've always assumed, with a 9.1 quart sump, that our cars were easy on oil...yet I still lack the guts to go 10k miles between changes.
Old 09-25-15, 05:06 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
He says its Penzoil Platinum, and that looks about right based off his UOA.
I thought I missed that but it seems he added that detail today.

It's very possible that it is our truck sump that was designed to hold more oil for steep incline lubrication as well as heavy duty use that makes our cars real easy on oil. Probably more so then a Camry or Corolla.
I would like to see a few more with various oils to draw a stronger conclusion.
PP is very good oil. I'm about to change my oil for the last time at 5k if my Blackstone report comes back positive.
Old 09-25-15, 06:01 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

My recent oil change Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W20 was used.
Interesting! That is good to know. I have always used Mobil 1 in the 460, but I use Pennzoil Euro 5W 40 in the 612. I think I should probably switch to the Pennzoil for the 460. I have an oil change coming up soon.
Old 09-25-15, 07:07 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks stkgator for sharing oil analysis report on PP. This solidifies the points that I made in my oil analysis thread : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...36k-miles.html

"I am currently using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20. Compare to other oils, its expensive and hard to find. However, there are lots of positive reviews on this oil. I have a feeling that it might out perform Toyota full synthetic on TBN and viscosity. I will test and post the report here. "

"All being said, I am not partial to one oil vs other. My GX seems to like PP Ultra Platinum more than M1, Castrol, Toyota oil (reg Pennzoil?) etc. I don't see the same on my ES. Need more driving on LS to determine on LS oil. When I used Lexus of Portland long back, they used to stick Pennzoil oil change stickers on the windshield. When asked, service personal told me Lexus/Toyota uses Pennzoil that comes in drums. It was reg 5w-30 if that matters. "

I understand OP used PP and I was referring Pennzoil Ultra Platinum in that thread. If PP can perform this best, Pennzoil Ultra would perform much better - I believe so. My LS is on Pennzoil Ultra and will be due for an oil change in another 2K. Will post oil analysis report.

Also I believe Toyota drum oils are made by Pennzoil and not by Mobile. All being said, Pennzoil Ultra doesn't make high mileage oils. I reached out to their technical support and they confirmed Ultra doesn't have conditioners for seals and they referred me to Pennzoil Platinum high mileage oil. For my other two vehicles I have been using Mobile HM and will continue that. Most likely I will continue to use Pennzoil Ultra on LS.
Old 09-25-15, 09:56 PM
stkgator
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will have the new oil analyzed again in around 8,500 miles to see how its holding up. But since I only put about 10k miles per year on the LS, it will be early summer 2016 before I accumulate that many miles.

I will be sure to post the updated results.
Old 09-26-15, 07:40 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

This is a GREAT post! It confirms what I suspected but never had the willingness to confirm for myself. Thank you for doing this testing.
Old 09-26-15, 09:26 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 5w30/good stuff

I love it when the dealer says they put 5w30 in the LS! There is this strong movement to "bully" the use of 0w20 or 5w20 and the supporters can get a bit hostile. #wait4it

Last edited by superdenso; 09-26-15 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-26-15, 10:51 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by superdenso
I love it when the dealer says they put 5w30 in the LS! There is this strong movement to "bully" the use of 0w20 or 5w20 and the supporters can get a bit hostile. #wait4it
Am I missing something? OP says they used 0W20
Old 09-27-15, 04:36 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
I thought I missed that but it seems he added that detail today.

It's very possible that it is our truck sump that was designed to hold more oil for steep incline lubrication as well as heavy duty use that makes our cars real easy on oil. Probably more so then a Camry or Corolla.
I would like to see a few more with various oils to draw a stronger conclusion.
PP is very good oil. I'm about to change my oil for the last time at 5k if my Blackstone report comes back positive.
Do you mean 10k miles? And I thought you were already running 10k mile OCI? Because you're the guy who has convinced me that it's not necessary to change my oil at 5k when using a high quality synthetic. Lol. Seriously, I don't even use Mobil EP oil anymore because of your advice, and I now search for the oil's "sweet spot", and the filter too. So it would be slightly depressing to find that you're running 5k mile oil changes
Old 09-27-15, 04:46 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Am I missing something? OP says they used 0W20
He's got a thing for 5w30 and he's trolling, dropping little 5w30 time bombs on oil threads. It's actually a little comical.

Truthfully if the guy wants to use 5w30 I don't think he's doing any harm to his engine, I do kind of agree that there is this light weight oil movement in the industry to boost fuel economy numbers in any slight way they can. In some circles 5w30 is considered better protection....in other circles the lighter weight oil is superior. Too me as long as you keep up with your maintenance it doesn't really matter all that much, I hardly ever see cars head to the junkyard because of engine failure anymore, it's more because they're rotted out and there is a laundry list of other things that need replacement that exceeds the value of the vehicle. Meanwhile the engine is sitting pretty in there...probably capable of going another 200k miles.

Quick Reply: '07 10k Mile Oil Change Interval - Lab Analysis