LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Suggestions? Tire wear and now brake failure

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-15, 10:19 AM
darkpartys
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions? Tire wear and now brake failure

My brakes have been squealing since at least April, and badly. It has always had that brake clunk noise. One day 1 week after I had my car inspected, while I was driving all of these brake and vsc warning lights came on i took it to the dealer and they said they had codes but found nothing wrong. they reset it and the car drove fine. 1 week later the lights came on again I again spoke to the dealer who said if the car drove fine not to worry about it and bring it in after winter.
in august I blew a rear tire when it was being changed out the tech showed me how worn the inside of the tire was and the metal coming out, on both rear tires. Mind you I had this in several weeks before and the dealer said my tires were like new.
I replaced the tires and continued driving the car.
while driving 2 nights ago the car started to beep it's continuous warning beep. I had no idea why until I got to the exit for my home and there was no brake at all. all the way to the floor and no stopping at 65mph on an exit ramp now half way up.
Luckily I am as good a driver as I am. I shifted it down manually enough to get on to the road to my home with only a slight fishtail. before I take the car in, is there anything I should check?
I have heard multiple causes for brake issues like the controller, but I have seen nothing about total failure. no leaks, full reservoir no bubbles. I think all of the fuses and relays are good.
So any suggestion before I take it to the dealer rip them a new one and then fight them for the cost of a $2500 brake controller on a known issues that could have injured or killed me and my family?
also could the tire wear issue be related to the VSC being off?
Old 09-15-15, 10:47 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Did you purchase your car from the dealer that found nothing wrong?
Do you have a warranty on the car?

I think the problem here is that you trusted the dealer blindly. The part about the car having codes but found nothing wrong is a clear sign of negligence on the dealer and yourself for not questioning it and not seeking second opinion. This is your car not the dealers.
The operator is ultimately responsible to check his or her vehicle for safety concerns like the tires.

Clearly your car was giving you a warning but you choose to ignore it which could have resulted in an accident which would make you at fault if you hit someone. I would blame the dealer but I would not expect you will be compensated for bad advice because there is plenty of blame to go around starting with you.
Considering what you went though I would hope that the car gets towed to the dealer.
If it is a Lexus dealer I would begin a campaign of writing Lexus corporate so they will conduct an investigation into what happened so this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Last edited by Devh; 09-15-15 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-15-15, 12:03 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

This is the first I have ever read here of a total brake failure. From what you have explained it is difficult to determine if the dealer was at fault. However it does appear that the techs at the dealership may not be able to diagnose what happened.

I would advise you to insist that a corporate tech ( not sure what their title is, but they are experts who advise dealership techs) investigate the problem.

And I hope by "take it to the dealer" you mean having it flat bedded.

Please keep us updated.
Old 09-15-15, 02:32 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is some scary stuff !!!! Unfortunately, No one can say that this is a known issue. Cars just don't have complete brake system fail for no reason. Your car did what it should, it warned you once, twice, and then a third time before it gave out. I hate the warning lights just as much as anyone, but they don't come on for no reason at all. There is always a reason. It just how important is that reason. I think this lesson needs to go out to everyone as a reminder to figure exactly out why that dam light came on in the first place. Then after you know why, make the decision that you can safely live with.
Old 09-15-15, 02:58 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

The brake going all the way to the floor indicates a complete hydraulic fluid failure. We have an Electronic brake that is backed up by the traditional hydraulic system as a fail safe. It is similar to having an ABS pump which is in line with the whole system.
If there was a rupture in the components then the fluid would have to escape and the pedal would never return to normal it would be pegged to the floor.
The only other scenario is if the fluid has failed because it was never changed. When you need the brakes the most the water in the fluid boils and the pedal loses pressure sending the pedal to the floor. After the fluid cools down the brake will return to normal.

Fluid is not compressible it has to go somewhere.

I speculate that if the the fluid is old it may not function as well and could trip what ever sets off an idiot light or warning for a poorly functioning actuator due to the loss of pressure but that's just a guess.

Last edited by Devh; 09-15-15 at 03:08 PM.