LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus Admits Discolored Transmission Fluid Should Be Replaced

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-15, 05:22 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts
Default Lexus Admits Discolored Transmission Fluid Should Be Replaced

I should have said Recommends instead of Admits in the title of this thread. See this thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ion-fluid.html
Old 07-18-15, 06:06 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I think more and more people are doing their research and discovering all the information that is out there now on Toyota WS transmission fluid...there's enough to make your eyes bleed.

The only thing that kind of surprises me about the thread you linked, is the service rep saying to change it if it becomes discolored...first of all, it's not that easy to simply check the color of the fluid on the LS (there is no dipstick, and second, the WS fluid changes color very very quickly. There is a YouTube video on how WS fluid turns dark brown when exposed to sunlight (all the guy does is leave it out in the sun for a little bit and...boom! Changes color). Personally when I changed mine it was almost black - scared the crap out of me - thought my transmission was junk. So I dropped the pan, checked for metal on the magnets, changed the filter, changed all the fluid...no problems. But again, just the color of the used fluid was alarming to me (and everyone standing around me). None of us had seen a fluid get that dark without major problems, yet there weren't any problems with it.

I talked to a parts manager at Lexus, he said the fluid turns almost into a rear end fluid, in color, after a short period of time. So I'm not sure if color alone is enough of a reason to change it, but I DO think it's like any other fluid...it needs to be changed, regularly. And that's what I do.
Old 07-18-15, 08:19 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

That's very interesting about the quick color change. I just sent mine off today for an analysis out of interest more than concern. I did the drain and fill and will do two more in the next 1000 miles unless Blackstone's analysis says otherwise.
Old 07-18-15, 10:13 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
That's very interesting about the quick color change. I just sent mine off today for an analysis out of interest more than concern. I did the drain and fill and will do two more in the next 1000 miles unless Blackstone's analysis says otherwise.
Looking forward to seeing that report from Blackstone...should be interesting.
Old 07-18-15, 11:21 AM
Ditoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Looking forward to seeing that report from Blackstone...should be interesting.
+1

Hope to see the results from Blackstone soon.
Old 07-19-15, 05:54 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I read a post this morning on the same subject for an LS 430. I was under the impression that fluid breakdown is the main issue when it's actually mostly about metal solids present that act like sand paper. Now the total number of my drain and fills will be based on the readings of these solids, a low number (compared to a posted average) will result in me doing only one more drain and fill instead of two. No practical need to bring the readings down to zero. Of course contamination by coolant is another issue and is indicative of a leak, which is abnormal and requires a repair. Either it leaks or it doesn't, the standard for leak repair.
I'm still going back for lobster rolls every other Fri though