Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

LS600hL aftermarket warranties?

Old 07-10-15, 06:41 PM
Tonyboatin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS600hL aftermarket warranties?

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a comprehensive warranty for the 600. I have been looking at Wanted Auto Protect in Cherry Hill, NJ and Continental in Wilmington, DE.
Does anyone have experience with either of these 2 companies or another that has been good to deal with?
Thank you,
Tony
Old 07-10-15, 08:30 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonyboatin
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a comprehensive warranty for the 600. I have been looking at Wanted Auto Protect in Cherry Hill, NJ and Continental in Wilmington, DE.
Does anyone have experience with either of these 2 companies or another that has been good to deal with?
Thank you,
Tony
Carchex gets good reviews here from people who have had to use them. Their Titanium plan covers absolutely everything including all the hybrid components. Price depends on age/mileage.

Your credit union might also be able to place a good one. Might even be worth joining one to be able to get the aftermarket policy.
Old 07-11-15, 12:14 AM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Route 66 warranty if you have credit union. They are one of the best after factory warranty.
Old 07-11-15, 07:22 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I checked extended warranty price from Carchex for my 460L. What they told me was, their top of the line coverage doesn't cover certain high end electronics. When asked what are those, he said radar cruise, pre collision system etc. Those can be covered by additional package. In the end it comes to over $4k for I believe 7 yrs/125k miles. At that price, if OPs car is within factory warranty better to get Lexus extended warranty.
Old 07-11-15, 07:54 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
I checked extended warranty price from Carchex for my 460L. What they told me was, their top of the line coverage doesn't cover certain high end electronics. When asked what are those, he said radar cruise, pre collision system etc. Those can be covered by additional package. In the end it comes to over $4k for I believe 7 yrs/125k miles. At that price, if OPs car is within factory warranty better to get Lexus extended warranty.
Considering OP's car is a 2008 model with 95K miles on the clock (search for prior posts by OP), getting a Lexus Extended warranty seems impossible.

OP will need to research after-market extended warranties. They should be exclusionary, where items not covered are explicitly stated, and don't exclude hybrid components and (IMO) electronics and suspension. Ideally, the warranty should allow a pro-rated refund if OP wishes to cancel. For any given product, OP should also search for complaints and reviews on this site and elsewhere.

Many after-market warranty companies are just conduits to the companies that actually administer the plan. Research this as well, so you'll know exactly who will be evaluating and determining the eligibility of a claim. Without the proper due diligence, one could spend a good amount of money on an extended warranty only to find that it's useless when a claim arises.

Last edited by Gbp; 07-11-15 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Added details.
Old 07-11-15, 07:56 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,205 Likes on 955 Posts

This subject has been discussed on several other treads. I'll sum it up for you, what I saw was Lexus Platinum Warranty is the preferred and most trustworthy way to go. Do a thread search and see what you think...
Old 07-11-15, 03:29 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I don't think a Lexus VSA would cover a vehicle with 95k miles on it thus the OP is looking for just after-market warranties. Warranty Direct and CarChex are the two I'd go with, and between the two of them, one of the forum members reported good luck/coverage with Carchex on the LS600h....heck for $4k, one mid-size repair would cover it. Keep in mind that Carchex would also cover the control arm issue and (I'm 99% sure) air suspension issue. But it sounds like $4k only covers you for an extra 30k miles does that sound right?
Old 07-11-15, 03:55 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

You're right, once out of original warranty, Lexus is no longer an option. Wish the OP had stated that. Just trying to help with the info I had.
Old 07-11-15, 04:14 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swfla
You're right, once out of original warranty, Lexus is no longer an option. Wish the OP had stated that. Just trying to help with the info I had.
To be fair, OP already stated that he was looking for an aftermarket warranty. If you look up-thread, you'll see documentation of his model year and miles and the fact that the Lexus VSA doesn't apply to OP's situation. To be equally fair, my post was made probably while you were composing yours, LOL.
Old 07-11-15, 07:37 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wandl
I don't think a Lexus VSA would cover a vehicle with 95k miles on it thus the OP is looking for just after-market warranties. Warranty Direct and CarChex are the two I'd go with, and between the two of them, one of the forum members reported good luck/coverage with Carchex on the LS600h....heck for $4k, one mid-size repair would cover it. Keep in mind that Carchex would also cover the control arm issue and (I'm 99% sure) air suspension issue. But it sounds like $4k only covers you for an extra 30k miles does that sound right?
I couldn't get a Lexus warranty when I bought my 600 (a 2008) because I didn't get it from a Lexus dealer even though it had less than 50K miles on it. I got a Carchex based on another poster's experience. Paid just over 3K with the extra tech package and the lost key replacement - Titanium exclusionary (only stuff not covered is normal maintenance like wipers, fluids, etc.), everything else including the hybrid components and things like the ML, radar cruise, etc. is covered for 6 yrs/60K miles. It's a pro-rated refund if I cancel, can transfer to someone else (as if I'd be selling it). Downside if there is one was needing to wait 1,000 miles before I can use it and $100/covered repair for a deductible.

One can argue about needing an extended warranty on a car like this (& I'm in the insurance business so I understand the economics of the product) but I'm "unlucky" in actually having had to use one on the two cars I've had one on and wishing I had it on another I didn't have a warranty on. Some people are just hard on their cars
Old 07-11-15, 09:12 PM
justjosh
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Carchex is the way to go. I just had over $10k in repairs approved by them on my LS600hL. I'll be sticking with them from here on out.
Old 07-12-15, 04:24 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Digger, you're right, it also must be a dealer purchased vehicle. Thanks.
Old 07-12-15, 08:48 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DiggerJim
I couldn't get a Lexus warranty when I bought my 600 (a 2008) because I didn't get it from a Lexus dealer even though it had less than 50K miles on it. I got a Carchex based on another poster's experience. Paid just over 3K with the extra tech package and the lost key replacement - Titanium exclusionary (only stuff not covered is normal maintenance like wipers, fluids, etc.), everything else including the hybrid components and things like the ML, radar cruise, etc. is covered for 6 yrs/60K miles. It's a pro-rated refund if I cancel, can transfer to someone else (as if I'd be selling it). Downside if there is one was needing to wait 1,000 miles before I can use it and $100/covered repair for a deductible.

One can argue about needing an extended warranty on a car like this (& I'm in the insurance business so I understand the economics of the product) but I'm "unlucky" in actually having had to use one on the two cars I've had one on and wishing I had it on another I didn't have a warranty on. Some people are just hard on their cars
Digger, when did you buy your 2008 LS600? It doesn't matter for the OP, but I thought as long as your car was within the factory warranty period of 4yrs/50K miles, didn't have things like a salvage title, wasn't used as a taxi, etc, you could get a Lexus VSA, even if the car was purchased from a non-Lexus dealer. Lexus also offers VSA's for cars outside the factory warranty period under certain conditions (within 9 model yrs/125K miles), but the car must be purchased at a Lexus dealer and the VSA bought at the time of sale.

Source:

https://www.lexusfinancial.com/pub/w...ice_agreements

Editorial comment: I've found a number of Lexus salespeople (who aren't in the finance dept), who weren't all that knowledgeable about Lexus VSA's.

Last edited by Gbp; 07-12-15 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-12-15, 12:32 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I can't recommend your local Credit Union enough. They have the lowest prices and typically their highest end warranty covers everything other than consumables. For the LS, my CU's highest end longest warranty (which covers the hybrid power train), can be had for less than $1500.
Old 07-12-15, 02:30 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gbp
Digger, when did you buy your 2008 LS600? It doesn't matter for the OP, but I thought as long as your car was within the factory warranty period of 4yrs/50K miles, didn't have things like a salvage title, wasn't used as a taxi, etc, you could get a Lexus VSA, even if the car was purchased from a non-Lexus dealer. Lexus also offers VSA's for cars outside the factory warranty period under certain conditions (within 9 model yrs/125K miles), but the car must be purchased at a Lexus dealer and the VSA bought at the time of sale.
I got mine at a Land Rover dealer. It was in the mileage cap but outside the 4yr warranty period. I checked with a couple of Lexus folks to see about getting the Lexus extended warranty but didn't qualify.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS600hL aftermarket warranties?