LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Melting Interior of 2009 Lexus LS 460

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-15, 05:22 AM
sgruwell73
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Melting Interior of 2009 Lexus LS 460

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to fix, repair or where to get affordable replacement door panel armrests for 2009 LS 460? Evidently Lexus doesn't want to offer assistance to this model year even though it has the same defective issue as the others. They want 2k per door panel. I love the car, want to keep it and don't want to trade in only to pass this problem to some other unbeknownst customer. Any advice greatly appreciate.
Old 06-01-15, 07:04 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Can you provide us with some pictures?

Have you contacted Lexus Corporate?

Ebay has some, but without knowing color combo it's just a guess

LS460

Last edited by greg3852; 06-01-15 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 07:11 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

If you can't get help from your Lexus dealer, as Greg posts, contact corporate. If this is a know issue and you can show cause, they should help you out.
Old 06-01-15, 08:09 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Ebay has plenty in different colors for anywhere from 200-300 dollars. This is for the ENTIRE panel, so it's an affordable option. You could even remove the part you need from the panel and sell all the rest of the bits and pieces and likely come out ahead.

As others have mentioned, I would first contact corporate and take it to the highest level you can. You may get some compensation.
Old 06-01-15, 08:24 AM
sgruwell73
Driver School Candidate

Old 06-01-15, 08:28 AM
sgruwell73
Driver School Candidate

This is what it looks like, however, in the afternoon when the heat index climbs the whole thing turns to a sticky surface and if you touch it with a finger nail or anything brushes against it leaves marks. Imagine taking frozen ice cream out then thawing it out then refreezing etc. This is the only way I can describe this. Corporate Lexus I have asked 2 times and they won't offer any assistance. You can tell the agent on the phone is very uncomfortable because they know the problem is very pervasive in Southern states. They just started offering relief for older models and are taking their time. I enlisted on a class action with the Ferraro Law Firm in Florida but I just want to get the damn thing fixed vs. dealing with legal hoops.
Old 06-01-15, 08:29 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

eBay or a junkyard if Lexus Corporate won't help. Preferably something local that allows you to inspect the parts.
Old 06-01-15, 09:04 AM
sgruwell73
Driver School Candidate

I am calling around. Any idea on how to locate the part numbers online?
Old 06-01-15, 09:09 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Look on Lexus of South Atlanta.
Old 06-01-15, 09:57 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

If Lexus Corporate declines to act on your problem, I'd point out that your symptoms match exactly those on this warranty extension that applies to, among other models, the 2007 LS460. If Lexus can't document any changes from 2007 to 2009 to address this problem, perhaps they will see the logic in at least making an exception for you.

I'd probably start with the highest level contact you can find at Lexus Corporate. Would Lexus really want the bad P.R. similar to the earlier complaints that eventually resulted in this costly service campaign? It would be better to respond positively to individual cases like yours than to send out mass mailings to additional Lexus owners affected by this problem.

When ethics don't suffice, economic self-interest should. Naturally, a tactful approach is best, IMO.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...-img_1805.jpeg

Last edited by Gbp; 06-02-15 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-01-15, 10:17 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

I had an RX with the dash cracking/melting issue. Corporate agreed to 50% coverage. I paid the dealer about $870 for the work. Since selling the vehicle a couple of years ago, Lexus issued a full recall. I contacted them for reimbursement. They agreed to do so. I had to do some leg work to get the documentation that I paid for it. But should be getting a check in the next few months. My point, get it fixed either through a repair facility or Ebay and save all the receipts including old registration receipts to prove ownership. No reason for you to drive around with a mess in your car. Good luck.
Old 06-01-15, 04:19 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The problem with the minimum wage kids that "Lexus Corporate" has servicing the customer relations calls is that they don't know the first thing about Lexus cars or customer relations and when you ask to speak to a supervisor, the just say "we don't refer up to supervisors" or something to that effect.

Anybody been successful in getting around this? I've been quite civil in my contacts with them but have nothing but negative experiences with them (and I've been a Lexus owner for nearly 25 years and 4 vehicles)
Old 06-01-15, 05:42 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

See this thread for possible higher-echelon contacts at Lexus Corporate.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...omplaints.html

Here's a link from that thread. Search for Lexus.

http://www.autonews.com/section/exec...emplate=search

You can also try to request higher-level contact information from our new Lexus Customer Service Forum:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...r-service-271/

If you've had no success with the frontline people at Lexus customer service, explain that you need a specific person to escalate this matter to. I don't know if this will work or not, but social media might. I wonder if Lexus Corporate or Toyota has a Facebook page? If so, that could be the start of using social media. This could even be done at the dealership level if you were unhappy with their response.

Last edited by Gbp; 06-01-15 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-01-15, 07:12 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
See this thread for possible higher-echelon contacts at Lexus Corporate.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...omplaints.html
Here's a link from that thread. Search for Lexus.
http://www.autonews.com/section/exec...emplate=search
You can also try to request higher-level contact information from our new Lexus Customer Service Forum:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...r-service-271/

If you've had no success with the frontline people at Lexus customer service, explain that you need a specific person to escalate this matter to. I don't know if this will work or not, but social media might. I wonder if Lexus Corporate or Toyota has a Facebook page? If so, that could be the start of using social media. This could even be done at the dealership level if you were unhappy with their response.
Thanks, some good info there. I think the most productive way to get some action nowadays is through the social media process, providing the companies monitor this. Sad!
Old 06-01-15, 07:58 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by sgruwell73

hard to tell but almost looks like general wear and tear to me.

Why is there so many stab marks and scratches on it ?

Quick Reply: Melting Interior of 2009 Lexus LS 460