LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Long term storage

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-15, 07:49 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
the Easiest thing would be to let one of your Friends or Neighbors just check on Everything for you & crank your car from time to time & maybe drive it to the mailbox & back!
Johnnyreb, that's your southern perspective talking! . Actually that is the worst thing you can do in cold weather states. If you run the engine briefly the moisture in the cold air in the crankcase will condense to water, but since the engine isn't operated long enough to evaporate that water out, the result is sludge.

A battery TENDER is the way to go. The last two winters I've had my 612 plugged in continually for 5 months. I know both an Aston Martin dealer and a Ferrari dealer near me store 40 to 60 cars for months and every one of them is on a tender the whole time.
Old 05-30-15, 08:24 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Johnnyreb, that's your southern perspective talking! . Actually that is the worst thing you can do in cold weather states. If you run the engine briefly the moisture in the cold air in the crankcase will condense to water, but since the engine isn't operated long enough to evaporate that water out, the result is sludge.

A battery TENDER is the way to go. The last two winters I've had my 612 plugged in continually for 5 months. I know both an Aston Martin dealer and a Ferrari dealer near me store 40 to 60 cars for months and every one of them is on a tender the whole time.
Indeed. I can't believe with all the info out there from RV forums to auto enthusiast forums, that we're debating the benefits of battery tenders. Get with the times folks.
Old 06-02-15, 08:21 AM
zeyger
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put me down as another advocate for a battery tender. Several of my clients that store exotics use a tender and not one hiccup.
Old 06-03-15, 04:16 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I think the point you are making, perhaps inadvertently, is that it is a risk worth taking, in the case of the bilge pumps.
NO, I completely disagree with your point of view. I'm also surprised that a Moderator would, IMO, go beyond disagreeing outside of the debate forum.
Old 06-03-15, 07:27 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

For me it was not about using the battery tender. I think they do a great job. It was leaving something plugged into the house and then into the LS while I was not there. I did not want to find out my house burned down and the LS was destroyed because I was worried over a $100 battery. Much easier to buy a new battery then explain to the DW why all the pictures of our kids and all the items we have collected around the world have gone up in smoke. If I knew I was not going to drive the LS for 3-6 months but was going to be home to keep an eye on it I would have no problem putting a battery tender on it.

Dennis
Old 06-02-17, 03:21 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
I had the same question last fall when we were getting ready to go to HI for the winter. Now we were only going to be gone 3 months not 6. In the end I could not make myself go off and leave a hot battery tender/charger plugged into the wall even though the garage is heated and cooled and hooked up to my LS unattended for that long. I think the battery tenders are great if you or someone else can eyeball it every once and awhile. In the end I topped off and treated the fuel made sure everything that I could I shut off and left the battery hooked up. When we came back the LS cranked slow at first then fired right up. I have doubts that it would have fired up after another 3 months. I believe the key here would be to have a good battery with a full charge on it when you left.
Dennis.
Reviving an old thread here. So, I will be gone on vacation soon for 6 weeks thru the end of July. My car has a fairly new battery installed Feb 2016. An indy mechanic said no need to disconnect the battery, that it's fairly new and the car would crank right up. My Lexus SA recommended to disconnect the battery by removing the negative terminal only. I am leaning toward not disconnecting and hoping she starts right up! Worst case, do I jumpstart the car the same way I would any other vehicle?
Old 06-02-17, 07:56 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by comotiger
Reviving an old thread here. So, I will be gone on vacation soon for 6 weeks thru the end of July. My car has a fairly new battery installed Feb 2016. An indy mechanic said no need to disconnect the battery, that it's fairly new and the car would crank right up. My Lexus SA recommended to disconnect the battery by removing the negative terminal only. I am leaning toward not disconnecting and hoping she starts right up! Worst case, do I jumpstart the car the same way I would any other vehicle?
Your approach is what I would do. You SHOULD find that the car just starts right up, but if you need a jump-start, it is indeed as you describe. You only need to remove the plastic cover over the battery. I've done it numerous times - usually to jump-start someone else.
The following users liked this post:
comotiger (06-02-17)
Old 06-02-17, 08:43 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I agree, a fully charged battery should be fine. I've gone 4 weeks with my car with no problem.

If you can get by without locking the car you would save some juice by not having the alarm set. How safe is your neighborhood?
The following users liked this post:
comotiger (06-05-17)
Old 06-02-17, 09:54 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

It is interesting to see how car dealers are dealing with storage of new cars as to batteries.

Here is a link to instructions that Infiniti dealers are using for new cars (most new car dealers use this same approach): http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/1SE31.pdf

You have to keep in mind that this is for new cars with new batteries. New batteries can attain nearly a 100% SOC when they are fully charged. As a battery ages its fully-charged SOC is lower as a function of age. The rule of thumb for flooded cell batteries is you must not let the SOC get below 50% to avoid permanent damage. Any battery with a fully-charged SOC below 75% is considered to be in need of replacement.
Old 06-05-17, 04:42 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm late to this, but I used to keep motorcycles in storage over the winter in the CO high country (no, not that kind of 'high'), where it snowed from October to June.

Battery Tender, and if the gasoline is fresh, it'll last six months without treatment.

Furthermore, we stored my wife's '02 RX300 for three years...it was on its tires, in my mother's garage, Battery Tender, full tank of fresh fuel, and once a year, we'd both go visit and drive Princess (the RX) enough to use the old tank of fuel. Fill her back up, park her, Battery Tender, done. Did the same with the car before the RX, a '95 3.5L Dodge Intrepid, stayed in storage two years, same routine, no harm done at all.

Now, if you're going to store for extended periods, more than 8-12 months...or in severe conditions (either hot or cold)...that's different.
Old 06-05-17, 04:45 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I agree, a fully charged battery should be fine. I've gone 4 weeks with my car with no problem.

If you can get by without locking the car you would save some juice by not having the alarm set. How safe is your neighborhood?
Thanks, Paul. The car will be inside a locked garage. But my wife would never let us leave on vacation without locking anything that is lockable

I guess I could still lock the car using the physical key without activating the alarms. Maybe that's what I will do!
Old 08-08-17, 08:52 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Update:
We returned from vacation a few days ago. I was pleased to see that the red lights were still blinking when I returned. The car started up without hesitation the next day. The battery held up fine for 43 days!
Old 08-09-17, 07:48 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Good news AC. Thanks for the update!
Old 01-07-20, 12:21 PM
NotFasty
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I hate to bump an old thread... but I am looking to attach my Battery Tender to my 2012 and am immediately annoyed at how inaccessible the battery is. Ugh. Come on Lexus, why did you require so many steps to get to the terminals?
Old 01-09-20, 05:14 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

45lbs in tires and get the curve tire pads or soft tire pads to drive the car on. Plus every thing else. I use a tender also.

Quick Reply: Long term storage