LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Air Bag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-15, 06:27 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Air Bag Recall

Haven't seen any posts regarding the air bag recall. Anyone know if any LS460's are involved?
Old 05-20-15, 06:36 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

They have yet to come out with a complete list. But that should be happening soon.
Old 05-20-15, 11:18 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I was just trying to find an answer about this. My Lexus dealer told me 01 - 05 SC430's are the only Lexus models affected but as mentioned this list may grow as they are up to 34 million vehicles recalled. It's a serious issue especially for us in the South with high humidity. Makes the risk go up substantially.
Old 05-20-15, 12:51 PM
hms09
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Air Bags

Haven't heard whether the 460s are included but when they have the list you can go to www.safercar.gov ,then at the top select vehicle owners and you input your VIN. This will tell you if there are ant open recalls on your car.
Old 05-20-15, 02:24 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Do you guys remember the commercial from maybe late 70's to early 80's with the gorilla taking some luggage in his cage and throwing it, beating it, jumping on it? The commercial was advertising how durable the luggage was.

That's what I think goes on back in a dealership's service department. I just took my Corolla in for the recall Thursday last week and got my vehicle back and the dash was a greasy nasty scratched up mess. It was the passenger airbag and I didn't notice the mess until I got home. I cleaned and fixed everything myself, except the sratching / gouging.

And, oh yes, I made a ppt and sent it to TMS. I was / am not happy. I'm hoping they will provide me with something in exchange for the abuse my dash took.

I don't give 2 s---s about taking my Lexus in to have it goofed up. I made TMS aware that if there's another recall, that I will skip it unless they want to send me parts and instructions.

7milesout
Old 05-21-15, 06:00 AM
wbrian63
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I took my LS in for the fuel system recall, I made it a point to tell the service writer that I had personally removed all of the engine "modesty" panels and had taken pictures of the top of the motor.

I was as nice as I could be - this is a tender area of discussion and I didn't want to offend, as no damage had occurred. However, I made it a point to reference the problems I'd had before with service on my Mercedes, particularly in the area of "related component damage" when work was done at the MB dealership.

Any premium brand dealership is typically more than glad to show a brand owner how much better they are than the competing brands.

In this situation, I had already read the instructions that the techs would follow to perform the service, and I knew what "related components" were going to be touched/removed/displaced.

My statement to him was "I know that this job is a total _itch, I've read the instructions. However, I believe it is possible to complete the repair without breaking a bunch of tabs, clips and other items, if the tech chooses to take their time"

The wiring trays that lay across the top of the engine were already cracked and damaged from the recall work done on the heads before I owned the car - I didn't want it screwed up any more than it was already.

When I got the car back, I popped the hood and was pleased not only to see that everything looked intact, but that the tech had attempted to repair some of the damage to the previously damaged trays.

All's well that ends well.

Oh - and the 70's commercial - Samsonite was the luggage. I'm pretty sure the gorilla in the segment now drives the route for Fedex that delivers to my house...
Old 05-21-15, 11:18 AM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised that the manufacturers are still working with Takata - well especially Toyota & Lexus. There are a couple of other big airbag makers and none of them exhibit the problem the Takata airbags do in terms of shrapnel. At this point with Takata still not sure what the cause is and they're just replacing with new components, it's possible that new ones will also have the problem. And you need to wait until they can make enough new ones to cover current car contracts and recall replacements. If I were the car mfg I'd tell them we'd be talking to them about the $ and in the meantime be getting replacements from one of the other two big makers. Not worth the possibility of having to go through it again. (BTW, looks like Honda may be doing something like this - I just saw a report that they're starting to place orders with the other airbag makers to repair Takata bagged vehicles because they're not seeing the recall parts volume they need.)