LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008/09 LS460 AWD vs 2010 MB E350 4MATIC

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 05:57 PM
damangoman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, my mistake, the button didn't look blank at first glance :/ As another poster suggested, I looked at the NADA value($33,950) and KBB($34,050) and the price I mentioned($27,966) seems well below that, priced to sell. Assuming it's in excellent condition, this seems to be a great deal.

Based on the low mileage and the car having most of the requirements I wanted(low mileage, 08/09 model, below $30k, AWD, LWB, Levinson sound, and park assist) do you think the adaptive cruise control is a must have option? I've never had a car with adaptive cruise so I'm not sure of the importance of it...your guys' thoughts?

Thanks again for all the excellent advice.
Old 05-19-15, 06:03 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
As hfamhy said it doesn't have adaptive cruise. Easy way to tell is if you look at the front Lexus emblem and see the dots or it is not a solid emblem then it does not have adaptive cruise. I wish mine had it every single time I drive.
On the 2007 - 2012 models, the easiest way for me to tell is to look at the right side of the steering wheel, at the button on the opposite side of the hold button. If the car has DRCC (dynamic radar cruise control), the button will have an icon on it; if the button is blank, the car doesn't have DRCC, as another poster stated.

I've seen a number of online ads claiming that the car in question has adaptive cruise control or DRCC, but the pictures shw the opposite. This mistake seems to occur most often in ads for SWB vehicles, where DRCC is an extremely rare option.
Old 05-19-15, 06:13 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by damangoman
Hmm, my mistake, the button didn't look blank at first glance :/ As another poster suggested, I looked at the NADA value($33,950) and KBB($34,050) and the price I mentioned($27,966) seems well below that, priced to sell. Assuming it's in excellent condition, this seems to be a great deal.

Based on the low mileage and the car having most of the requirements I wanted(low mileage, 08/09 model, below $30k, AWD, LWB, Levinson sound, and park assist) do you think the adaptive cruise control is a must have option? I've never had a car with adaptive cruise so I'm not sure of the importance of it...your guys' thoughts?

Thanks again for all the excellent advice.
Those numbers seem high to me, but perhaps the LWB (IIRC) and low mileage and AWD is pumping them up. If you haven't already done so, I suggest using Cargurus to compare asking prices for similarly-configured cars. Except now for Texas cars, cars on Cargurus will also show the history of price changes at their site as well as how many days the car has been on the site, all of which can help negotiate a lower price.

I think in general the profit margin on used cars is very high, so there's much room for negotiation. I doubt I'd pay asking price; there are many LS460's on the market which features similar to yours.
Old 05-19-15, 06:21 PM
damangoman
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I think it is definitely those 3 factors at play(LWB, AWD, and low miles). In fact, that is why I am going in for a test drive asap, because after scouring Cars.com, Autotrader, and CarGurus, this listing seems to be the best deal for the money.

Similarly optioned LWB AWD vehicles with around 70k miles are going for the same price(in a 500 mile radius that too). If i take away the LWB and AWD requirement, then there are a lot more listings at the same price or lower with 60-70k miles, and even 2010 models.

Buttt, based on all the forum posters opinions I've read, it seems the LWB is a worthy upgrade from SWB. And the AWD is a must for me in the DC area.

Will keep you guys posted after tomorrow's test drive!
Old 05-19-15, 06:30 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

make sure you request a carfax for this car, also might be a good idea to check its history on lexus.com with the VIN number. if everything checks well, I think it is a good deal.
Old 05-19-15, 09:46 PM
damangoman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hfahmy
make sure you request a carfax for this car, also might be a good idea to check its history on lexus.com with the VIN number. if everything checks well, I think it is a good deal.
where on lexus.com can I check it? I looked all over, couldn't locate it. saw something on the Lexus Drivers' side of the site but I don't think that's it...
Old 05-20-15, 03:59 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Default Lexus Driver's Login Page

Originally Posted by damangoman
where on lexus.com can I check it? I looked all over, couldn't locate it. saw something on the Lexus Drivers' side of the site but I don't think that's it...
See:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

Use the JOIN button. After you've completed the registration process, then you can add cars to My Vehickes in at least a couple of ways, such as tapping or clicking on the My Vehicles tab or tapping or clicking on the Edit button. (Tapping or clicking depends on whether you're using a touchscreen device such as a tablet or a non-touchscreen device such as a PC.)

When you add a car, you'll get prompted for its VIN and a description. The description must consist of capitalized letters only, AFAIK. You'll be asked to confirm you're the owner of the vehicle. I've "owned" many LS460's. When I remove a vehicle from my list, I onfirm that I've never owned the car..

To see the service history, tap or click on My Lexus, Service History. After bringing up the service history, you can tap or click on the Print button to see the information on a single web page, which makes it easy to copy and paste that history elsewhere.

Last edited by Gbp; 05-20-15 at 04:02 AM.
Old 05-20-15, 06:35 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I find that the prices on these cars are all over the place, unless your heart is set on the LWB with AWD, there are plenty of other options out there for less. The thing with these cars - from 2007-2012 - is that you just can't tell them apart. The drive train is the same, the interior, the exterior...why pay more? I have a 07 and it looks pretty much the same as the 2012. I get asked what year it is all the time, and when I took it to the dealer for the recall, a guy who owned a 2010 walked towards my car with a service adviser, because he thought it was his car...the whole time the adviser kept saying to the guy, that's not your car, your car is over here.

And as far as reliability goes, for all the talk about the 07 not being reliable because it was the first year of production, etc, my car has 100k on it and it never has any issues (knock on wood). It gets driven 600 miles a week now, and it handles it with ease.
Old 05-22-15, 02:04 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

I have a 2009 SWB AWD LS460 that I bought new in Aug of 2009. It's been a GREAT car and now at 70,000 miles it's still a great car. I'm starting to get that new car itch, but this would be a great used car for someone. So I'd say "YES" on the car that the original poster is looking at. The price seems high...don't believe KBB or Edmunds. My car isn't worth much more than $20K on a trade. There is a huge markup between wholesale and retail on cars this old. Also at this stage a lot depends on how the car was maintained, both under the hood and with regard to appearance. Any paintwork? Accidents?

At the right price a 2009 is a good car.