LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake pad rattle

Old 05-04-15, 12:29 PM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Brake pad rattle

This question is more for those with aftermarket pads (particularly Akebono pads), how much rattling noise do they make when doing over medium-sized irregularities in the road.

Every time my car goes over a bump it sounds like some bits and pieces of the front suspension will be left behind me. Frankly it sounds embarrassing. Unfortunately, two separate dealers have so far told me that the culprit is the aftermarket set of pads. Now at this point I have no specific reason to say that they are wrong, but before I go out and spend $$$ on Lexus pads I'd like to hear some feedback from those who use aftermarket pads.

-Y
Old 05-04-15, 03:59 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's all about the brake hardware here. I have aftermarket pads as I recently replaced my factory pads. 2011 ls460. There is a recent post call 2008 brake pads a bit down on the list. Read it and it will help
Old 05-04-15, 05:27 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd be saddened if Akebono pads were causing issues.. they're my favorite set of everyday brake pads since they're produce almost no dust.
Old 05-05-15, 07:01 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Well I did the "ride the brakes" test and yes it is the pads. Any application of brakes eliminates the crazy rattle. I guess the next step will be to buy all new anti-rattle clips and see if that helps.
Old 05-06-15, 12:36 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had this similar problem recently even though my akebono pads were replaced last year. On mine I get the same noises as you describe plus it would also makes a loud pop when braking at lower speed. Even after I had all the control arms replaced. So I went ahead and order the shim kit and the fit kit(anti rattle clips etc) replaced them and the noises is gone
Old 05-07-15, 04:33 AM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AznRacer
I had this similar problem recently even though my akebono pads were replaced last year. On mine I get the same noises as you describe plus it would also makes a loud pop when braking at lower speed. Even after I had all the control arms replaced. So I went ahead and order the shim kit and the fit kit(anti rattle clips etc) replaced them and the noises is gone
Did you order the Lexus OEM shim kit and fit kit or aftermarket? Could you share how much it cost for parts and labor (assuming you had a mechanic the do the work)? Thanks.
Old 05-07-15, 05:58 AM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by wayman28
Did you order the Lexus OEM shim kit and fit kit or aftermarket? Could you share how much it cost for parts and labor (assuming you had a mechanic the do the work)? Thanks.
Do it yourself. If you can jack the car up and take the wheel off, it's like a 2 minute job. I searched on eBay for a hardware kit. I believe it was centric brand. I'll check my ebay account and get you the part number. It was less than $15 shipped
Old 05-07-15, 06:41 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Only 9.50 with free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Better-Brake-Parts-13540-Front-Disc-Hardware-Kit-/351185457957?fits=Model%3ALS460&hash=item51c448d325&vxp=mtr
And as Unsober1 stated, it's an easy DIY. Shouldn't take more than a half hour to replace all four corners.
Old 05-07-15, 11:01 AM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I ordered both kit OEM from the dealer for around $100 and did the work myself.
Old 05-07-15, 03:17 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I just changed my brakes today with the Akebono pads and I've got to say I was a bit surprised how loose the pins were in my factory pads...and how easy, it would seem, for the pins to fall out. They're only held in by a little flimsy clip, but they must be safe or else obviously we'd hear of all sorts of catastrophic events. I can see how noise could be an issue with these brakes just because of the looser fit that the hardware provides (compared to most floating caliper systems). But I must say I haven't heard any noises yet.

I also opened all the bleeders when I changed the pads while I pushed in the pistons...disconnected the battery first...turkey basted the master cylinder...and everything is going good.
Old 05-07-15, 07:50 PM
wayman28
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys. Given the huge price difference between OEM and Ebay is there any evidence to suggest the Ebay kit is of significantly lesser quality?
Old 05-08-15, 06:03 AM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Well, I replaced my brakes for the first time, swapping out the original parts wit the ebay aftermarket ones, and the only difference I could tell was where where the parts came from, Lexus (LS assembly plant in Japan) VS Ebay (who knows where these were made).

Last edited by Unsober1; 05-08-15 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Corrections
Old 05-10-15, 04:35 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Thanks guys. Given the huge price difference between OEM and Ebay is there any evidence to suggest the Ebay kit is of significantly lesser quality?
I highly doubt it. Besides, we're not talking about Space Shutle parts here. Just a bunch of SS clips and springs that do very little "heavy work".
Old 05-12-15, 11:51 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to go the ebay route and try the newer clips before I shell out $100 for something as simple as rattle clips.
Old 05-20-15, 12:48 PM
ve00386
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replace the brake pads and rotors for the front and back. Initially, I bought the Wagner pads. Aftermarket rotors. The pad came in very tight and it did not hold the anti-rattle spring very well. I reused the old sim kits. It creates lots of rattle noise when running. I then replaced the aftermarket pads and sims with the new OEM pads and OEM sim kits. The pads came in very easy when I installed. So it ran very quiet now. My suggestion is using the OEM parts probably save us lots of time and problems. One important note is you need to remove the negative battery wire before doing any brake work on Lexus brakes so the caliper do not move out automatically after you remove the pads. Also, I heard that the OEM grease came with the sim kit is much better than aftermarket one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake pad rattle