LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2012

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 03:01 PM
caperss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2012

Hi All! I am thinking of coming over from the dark side. I have been a BMW owner for a few years now and I am very disappointed with their products. I currently drive a 2011 750ix and the list of problems would fill pages, before that a 2011 335i convertible also with problems. I have decided to look at and test the LS460, the one I have in mind is a 2012 with 60k miles. It is my understanding these cars are very reliable however nothing is perfect so as a Newbe here I am looking for some guidance from the forum. Is there anything I should look closely at? Thanks in advance! If I do buy this one I will be back and if I don't buy this one I have a feeling I will be back anyway with a different LS460 and definitely never another BMW.
Old 04-20-15, 03:27 PM
HondaChuck
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the 2012 models are pretty bulletproof; they are the last year before a major update in 2013 so all recalls and problems have been addressed. Use the MyLexus.com to check the service history. If you can get a CPO you're good for 3years or 100K miles. I highly recommend getting one with Mark Levinson sound system; it sounds incredible!
Old 04-20-15, 03:46 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus! You are not alone, we have several members here who previously drove 750's.

I think you will find 2012 LS about as bulletproof as you are going to find. As HondaChuck wrote, check the service records. If you are not comfortable doing a PPI on the car yourself, have a competent mechanic check it for you. I see you are in Mass., if you need a referral in the greater Boston area I can give you the name of a top notch mechanic.
Old 04-20-15, 04:40 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Guys! Thought I would chime in on this thread that I'm also thinking about switching over from my A6 to 2008 LS 460.
Specifically I'm looking at this: http://www.morriesmazda.com/Used-200...MN/vd/24538699
Any insight on what I should watch for? I've studied this forum for the last couple days and I think I have a good idea what to look for at least from the Lexus Service records, but what else should I look for in General? Also does that price look good? I'll be test driving it this Friday and if I like I might go for it although the fact that it is RWD and this is MN will be a hamper.
Old 04-20-15, 05:04 PM
caperss
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the replies. The "my lexus" website was extremely helpful as I found all the service records for the car I have in mind. Other than normal maintenance there was one issue with a grinding noise from the steering and an intermediate shaft was replaced under warranty. The carfax showed nothing for maintenance records and I almost passed on my first choice because of that. Great Forum and who knows I may be a LS460 owner by tomorrow night.
Old 04-20-15, 05:59 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
Hi Guys! Thought I would chime in on this thread that I'm also thinking about switching over from my A6 to 2008 LS 460.
Specifically I'm looking at this: http://www.morriesmazda.com/Used-200...MN/vd/24538699
Any insight on what I should watch for? I've studied this forum for the last couple days and I think I have a good idea what to look for at least from the Lexus Service records, but what else should I look for in General? Also does that price look good? I'll be test driving it this Friday and if I like I might go for it although the fact that it is RWD and this is MN will be a hamper.
Price is pretty high even for a L versions in my opinion...here in Dallas area is a 2010 for almost the same price http://m.charltonmotors.com/#/vehicle/5414812

In terms of things to look out for, suspension is a big thing to watch for especially if it has air suspension. It is a heavy car so check the brakes and, of course, all electronic gizmos and buttons. Other than that it should ride pretty smooth!!

Last edited by Wandl; 04-20-15 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-20-15, 06:02 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caperss
Thank you for the replies. The "my lexus" website was extremely helpful as I found all the service records for the car I have in mind. Other than normal maintenance there was one issue with a grinding noise from the steering and an intermediate shaft was replaced under warranty. The carfax showed nothing for maintenance records and I almost passed on my first choice because of that. Great Forum and who knows I may be a LS460 owner by tomorrow night.
I agree with other posters above that 2012 is a great and largely problem free year. No stop CKT issues come to mind as the front suspension (control arms) have been addressed and redesigned. You're really not bound to have many issues at all compared to any car, much less a 7 series (I looked at a 750Li before my LS460).
Old 04-20-15, 06:10 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Welcome.

The 2012 would be the car to own. While the Lexus site will be valuable, there's no real way to know everything. Just what's been printed. But it's a fine indication. If the price is right jump on it.

As for the 08 LS, I noticed it has the ML system. That is value added. With regard to price, I wouldn't say it's high, but do a kbb.com evaluation and get a mid range price. Then negotiate from there.
Old 04-20-15, 06:20 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Welcome to Lexus world!.

I have 2012 L model for the past six months or so. Not a daily driver but enjoying the rides on weekends.

Besides the service history, I would look into number of owners, leased or not, reason for why its on the market, auctioned or not etc.

You may also have the car inspected at Lexus for peace of mind.

Good luck.
Old 04-20-15, 06:34 PM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Mark Levinson system is good for a stock system. But really pales when compared to even a modest custom setup.
Old 04-20-15, 06:48 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow this thread is all over the place. Enoch861please make your own thread regarding your car.

As for the 2012 I wouldn't buy one without Mark Levinson. It is a great system. Make sure you check out an L and see if that is something you might like. I find myself wishing I had one just a little longer sometimes. Common issues for the LS are (but may not effect 2012 model years) Brake actuator issues, Control Arm bushings, wind noise. Check for any recalls as well.

Try to get the most equipped one you can buy. I regret not getting Adaptive Cruise in my car. The next one will definitely have it.

Good luck. And you'll have a few guys here who have had BMW 7 series cars. All say the same thing about them.
Old 04-20-15, 06:53 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Price is pretty high even for a L versions in my opinion...here in Dallas area is a 2010 for almost the same price http://m.charltonmotors.com/#/vehicle/5414812

In terms of things to look out for, suspension is a big thing to watch for especially if it has air suspension. It is a heavy car so check the brakes and, of course, all electronic gizmos and buttons. Other than that it should ride pretty smooth!!
Wow! That's pretty inexpensive.. Cars in Minnesota tend to be on the higher side, but that gives me a basis on how I can negotiate..

Originally Posted by R Z
Welcome.

The 2012 would be the car to own. While the Lexus site will be valuable, there's no real way to know everything. Just what's been printed. But it's a fine indication. If the price is right jump on it.

As for the 08 LS, I noticed it has the ML system. That is value added. With regard to price, I wouldn't say it's high, but do a kbb.com evaluation and get a mid range price. Then negotiate from there.
The ML system is definitely awesome! It seems to be listed below KBB but it looks like I can get newer models for an even lower price around the country. Maybe I can play that card? haha

Originally Posted by Dryrunner
The Mark Levinson system is good for a stock system. But really pales when compared to even a modest custom setup.
Doesn't matter to me. I know it's going to be a big step up from the Bose system in my A6 (which by the way I think sounds fantastic but that's partly because I have to live with it..) I'm not looking to go custom at all. If I really want to do critical listening, I have 2 stereo systems (B&W as well as a Def Tech) at home for that.
Old 04-21-15, 07:59 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Hi All! I am thinking of coming over from the dark side. I have been a BMW owner for a few years now and I am very disappointed with their products. I currently drive a 2011 750ix and the list of problems would fill pages, before that a 2011 335i convertible also with problems. I have decided to look at and test the LS460, the one I have in mind is a 2012 with 60k miles. It is my understanding these cars are very reliable however nothing is perfect so as a Newbe here I am looking for some guidance from the forum. Is there anything I should look closely at? Thanks in advance! If I do buy this one I will be back and if I don't buy this one I have a feeling I will be back anyway with a different LS460 and definitely never another BMW.
You're story is nearly identical to mine. Had a 7 series that ruined me and currently have an X5 that also has been highly unreliable, but seems to have settled down.

If you're like me, you will love the LS.

The ML system in these cars are absolutely breathtaking. I love it so much, that I would walk away from any LS that didn't have it. I've built many car systems and so on, but nothing comes close to the richness, clarity, 7.1 DTS, etc that the ML provides. There are many reviews of this system in AV forums, as well as professional reviews, car magazines, etc and the ML garners amazing reviews supporting the ML claim that this is a true reference system. Mine never clips or distorts, no matter how loud I play it. Add in the Vaistech and you have a complete entertainment/multimedia and computer system.

Last edited by roadfrog; 04-21-15 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-21-15, 06:05 PM
caperss
Driver School Candidate

All of you were of great help. I was all set to buy it this morning and when I got there the salesman told me it sold last night. May have been a bait car, I will never know. So the 2012 is gone. I did run across a 2010 with 70k miles standard stereo (I can get a custom if needed) They are asking $29k, it is still available however the sales Manager had it home for his day off and I had to get to work. I am driving it tomorrow. So I guess I need to ask about the 2010 now. I did pull the maint. history, minor things, Fresh air door on heater stuck and fixed, cup holder broke and fixed, Shocks replaced about 10k miles ago. Other than that regular oil/filt, rotate tires check brakes etc. If the shocks were done I would think they checked the control arms and related suspension parts. So my new forum friends fill me in on the 2010.
Old 04-21-15, 06:10 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

All of you were of great help. I was all set to buy it this morning and when I got there the salesman told me it sold last night. May have been a bait car, I will never know. So the 2012 is gone. I did run across a 2010 with 70k miles standard stereo (I can get a custom if needed) They are asking $29k, it is still available however the sales Manager had it home for his day off and I had to get to work. I am driving it tomorrow. So I guess I need to ask about the 2010 now. I did pull the maint. history, minor things, Fresh air door on heater stuck and fixed, cup holder broke and fixed, Shocks replaced about 10k miles ago. Other than that regular oil/filt, rotate tires check brakes etc. If the shocks were done I would think they checked the control arms and related suspension parts. So my new forum friends fill me in on the 2010.
I have a 2010 and, if I had to do it again, i would have sprung a little more $$ for a 2012 (or maybe 2011). Suspension, for me, had been some issues and not all the kinks were fully worked out. Now I am just speaking from experience and $29k is a decent price but if you're already spending $30k, I'd spend a little more and get a car that has redesigned control arms and a better (so far) reliability. I would personally suggest to keep on searching, just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Thinking of pulling the trigger on a 2012