Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

New 2008 LS600h l Launch Edition Owner...Uh Oh !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-19, 06:20 AM
JB600
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 242000 miles and still Going strong.

Originally Posted by riknchar
I just re-read this thread. What a hot mess this 2008 Launch Edition LS600hL has been! I have to think this car is an anomaly. While there have been some reports of hybrid battery failure on the 600s, along with the "normal" Lexus trouble spots (control arm, air suspension, ML amp), this car really seems to have been problematic since day one.

I had a much different experience with my previous 2008 LS600hL - I bought it in 2014 w/58K miles and sold it in 2017 with 84k miles. I had only one minor problem with the car in that 3+ years of ownership (bad O2 sensor replaced under CPO warranty). My current 2010 LS600hL (bought in April with 66k miles) has been flawless so far, but I did buy an extended warranty (CNA) that will cover me for 6 full years, including hybrid batteries. I think I'm likely to get some use out of that warranty at some point, but I really don't expect to see the kind of problems the OP has seen in his Launch Edition LS600.

The prices for the LS600s (and really for the 2008-2012 LS460s) seem to be in free-fall right now. This type of car has fallen out of vogue in general, and the older big luxury cars have really taken it hard. All of which means more bargains for us LS lovers! I stick by my claim that the LS600s are a tremendous used car value. Every day when I drive my 600 I'm amazed at how silent, smooth, refined, and powerful the car is. I had a real estate client ride in the back last week, and I had her recline and enjoy a Shiatsu massage between house showings. She was in heaven (and I sold a house ;-)!

I
I drive a LS600hl with all the toys ( here in the UK ) bought for gbp 63k in 2010 with demonstrator miles on the clock. Now at 242000. She's had one rear shock, a new radiator, 4 tyre pressure sensors ( damaged by the wheel restorers ) and that's all really apart from usual wear items like pads and rotors etc. The transfer box has been leaking oil for years, I just make sure it's topped up every 10k service. Allegedly it's an engine out job to replace the seals, so more than the vehicle's value.
It's still a lovely car to drive, 0 - 60 in 6 seconds in a heavy car like this ain't too bad I reckon. Economy? Like they say, if you have to ask you can't afford it. The overall average is 25.8 mpg and she does a lot of city driving. On the highway she'll show 30 + mpg cruising at 85mph, the faster the better. In snow and ice it's like normal road conditions with the permanent 4wd, I love sailing past the ones that're vainly attempting to spin their wheels up long steep hills. The height high button is great for negotiating the really high and sharp sleeping policemen otherwise the front spoiler would ground.
Zero problems with hybrid system in 10 years so far. It's an expensive luxury car that so far is the best car I've ever driven. Servicing costs are probably £3k per year so with depreciation it has probably cost something like £9k p.a. to run, not including fuel and that's at Lexus main dealer prices!
So don't be frightened by scare stories. Most of the stuff you read on these forums is naturally enough, people with problems. I also have a couple of Benzes: a W211 220cdi wagon & a W211 280cdi which is a pleasure to drive with the V6 diesel motor ( smooth and quiet but not as smooth & quiet as the LS600.
Old 02-08-19, 07:44 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

I was reading this thread and it sparked some interest thought maybe an upgrade., but I’ve read reviews and it’s not faster, fuel economy is almost the same... what’s the benefit? Does it have longer range? I can go almost a 1000km in this car on the highway so what tangible benefits of the 600?
Old 02-15-19, 09:34 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdanielca
I was reading this thread and it sparked some interest thought maybe an upgrade., but I’ve read reviews and it’s not faster, fuel economy is almost the same... what’s the benefit? Does it have longer range? I can go almost a 1000km in this car on the highway so what tangible benefits of the 600?
The LS600hL isn't for gas mileage as compare to the Prius, this hybrid is to compare with the normal V12 engine. Lexus brags about the LS600hL has the same power as the V12... That said, it is quitter than the regular LS460, has 5.0 L engine as oppose to 4.6 L. All battery will die, so if you can afford the battery replacement, buy a hybrid. I just paid $5,500 just for the battery alone and had my nephews change it out for me (cheap labor ) they like to know how's this battery works compare to their Prius.
All LS460, LS600 have problem with front controls arms. I don't think I can blame Toyota/Lexus for this, these things wear out just like tires, batteries, water pump, shocks... Currently, my nephew is working on changing the transfer case oil, front/rear differential, trans, top front controls arms.
I consider this is a regular maintenance for a 100K plus miles vehicle.
Old 02-15-19, 09:38 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VQT
The LS600hL isn't for gas mileage as compare to the Prius, this hybrid is to compare with the normal V12 engine. Lexus brags about the LS600hL has the same power as the V12... That said, it is quitter than the regular LS460, has 5.0 L engine as oppose to 4.6 L. All battery will die, so if you can afford the battery replacement, buy a hybrid. I just paid $5,500 just for the battery alone and had my nephews change it out for me (cheap labor ) they like to know how's this battery works compare to their Prius.
All LS460, LS600 have problem with front controls arms. I don't think I can blame Toyota/Lexus for this, these things wear out just like tires, batteries, water pump, shocks... Currently, my nephew is working on changing the transfer case oil, front/rear differential, trans, top front controls arms.
I consider this is a regular maintenance for a 100K plus miles vehicle.
is it quicker I read the specs it’s slower no? Or maybe 0.1 sec. quicker... the mpg is exactly the same... someone else chime in what am I missing , diff headlights, leather dash, lka and advanced pc...

i only see minuses no pluses...to outweigh the minuses
Old 02-15-19, 09:51 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

is it quicker I read the specs it’s slower no? Or maybe 0.1 sec. quicker... the mpg is exactly the same... someone else chime in what am I missing , diff headlights, leather dash, lka and advanced pc...

i only see minuses no pluses...to outweigh the minuses
These LS600 Hybrids are rare even in the US. Most if not all Lexus models have hybrid models for sale, these have better gas mileage. LS600hL do not have better gas mpg due to larger engine size, do you see many for sale where you currently live? go for a test drive.

For you, I think it is better to buy a LS460 and be done with it. No one cares about different head lights, leather dash, and all the toys in the 600 excepted the owner.
Old 02-15-19, 10:14 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VQT
These LS600 Hybrids are rare even in the US. Most if not all Lexus models have hybrid models for sale, these have better gas mileage. LS600hL do not have better gas mpg due to larger engine size, do you see many for sale where you currently live? go for a test drive.

For you, I think it is better to buy a LS460 and be done with it. No one cares about different head lights, leather dash, and all the toys in the 600 excepted the owner.
i already have an almost fully loaded 460L I don’t have Lka and advanced pre collision whatever that means. Have everything else. Just trying to see if I can justify an upgrade. It’s not much more money than what I have now.
Old 02-15-19, 10:37 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

i already have an almost fully loaded 460L I don’t have Lka and advanced pre collision whatever that means. Have everything else. Just trying to see if I can justify an upgrade. It’s not much more money than what I have now.
I think the later models fully loaded LS460 have advance pre collision too. The one with rear passenger DVD and/or executive seating. The advance collision is just a sensor on the steering column to check on if your face isn't looking straight ahead when there is an imminent collision ahead and alarm will sound to alert you to step on the brake. The brake system is ready to brake as soon as you step on the brake...
Hell even the cheapo Nissan, VW... have better braking function since 2018 or so. Those cars stop even without the driver input to avoid collision. Those advance collision is old technology...
Old 02-15-19, 11:32 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VQT
I think the later models fully loaded LS460 have advance pre collision too. The one with rear passenger DVD and/or executive seating. The advance collision is just a sensor on the steering column to check on if your face isn't looking straight ahead when there is an imminent collision ahead and alarm will sound to alert you to step on the brake. The brake system is ready to brake as soon as you step on the brake...
Hell even the cheapo Nissan, VW... have better braking function since 2018 or so. Those cars stop even without the driver input to avoid collision. Those advance collision is old technology...
yeah i have the 4 seater don’t have lka and that
Old 02-16-19, 06:43 AM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a rule - NEVER buy a Lexus or any high end car from a 3rd party car dealer - ONLY buy from Lexus dealer preferably CPO.
Old 02-18-19, 02:11 PM
payneiii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by domike
I saw this 2008 Lexus 600hL advertises in St Charles IL Mercedes advertising for around $16K with only 106K or so. I thought about getting it but after I checked with Lexus Owner site and google the VIN which brings me to this site and read your story. I think I dodged a bullet. Apparently, you decided to get rid of it. Do you mind to tell how much did you get for trade in?
You sir, are correct. I traded it in on February 2, 2019 for a CPO 2014 S550 4matic with AMG body styling and only 37,845 miles on the odometer. I figure that with the addition of a 2 year extended CPO for a total of 3 years CPO coverage I could experiment with something else for a little while. There was just no motivation to fix the side mirror and rear subwoofer, after just replacing the HVAC blower motor and the city gas mileage over the last month plunging from 20 mpg to approx. 15.3 for some unknown reason. Oh, and they only gave me $13,000 for the Lexus with 103,450 miles. The uncertainty of a hybrid battery with no warranty in a 2008 vehicle in 2019 played a large part in that. I could have bought a newer Lexus 460l with all of the goodies but I don't find myself liking the new Predator grilles at all. At least not on a luxury vehicle. The same reason I stopped buying Cadillacs. The body styling turned me off for awhile with the XTS and the even though the newer Caddies look a lot nicer, they don't deliver the ride quality of a Lexus or Benz.