LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Strange wear pattern

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 11:13 AM
bsimonds
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange wear pattern

The previous owner installed Pirelli P Zero Nero tires on my 2010 LS460L, stock air suspension.
Both rear tires had even tread wear across the full width of the tread but at the very inside corner there was wear down into the inside edge of the steel belts. The local Toyota dealer and a second opinion from an independent alignment shop said the alignment is right on.
Any thoughts as to why? I'll do regular rotation and keep an eye on the new Michelin Primacy MXM4's.
Incidentally, the Michelins have much less road noise than the Pirellis.
Old 01-08-15, 11:39 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bsimonds
The previous owner installed Pirelli P Zero Nero tires on my 2010 LS460L, stock air suspension.
Both rear tires had even tread wear across the full width of the tread but at the very inside corner there was wear down into the inside edge of the steel belts. The local Toyota dealer and a second opinion from an independent alignment shop said the alignment is right on.
Any thoughts as to why? I'll do regular rotation and keep an eye on the new Michelin Primacy MXM4's.
Incidentally, the Michelins have much less road noise than the Pirellis.
Do you know how many miles have traveled on these tires?
The inside edge means that it could be a problem with toe or camber but most likely toe.
It might be perfectly ok depending on how bald the rest of the tire is.
Old 01-08-15, 09:41 PM
bsimonds
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I received no maintenance records with the car as to how many miles were on the tires when I got it. Yes, inside wear would normally indicate a toe or camber problem, but two alignment shops say they are within spec. The rest of the tread area was not worn down to the wear indicators.
Old 01-09-15, 12:38 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I received no maintenance records with the car as to how many miles were on the tires when I got it. Yes, inside wear would normally indicate a toe or camber problem, but two alignment shops say they are within spec. The rest of the tread area was not worn down to the wear indicators.
I have a 2010 SWB with 99k miles, my front tires (under 10k miles) are facing uneven wear on the outside. Alignment is close to spec, the shop diagnosed this as a combination of a leaky strut (passenger side) as well as the control arms...maybe something worth looking into on your end for the suspension parts?
Old 01-09-15, 01:00 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

They are probably in spec. As long as there is not gross difference then it should not be a problem.
You should never let the car to go the wear bars before a tire change. There is a minimum thread depth that should be measured to indicate tire change.