LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Daytime running lights - Nike lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-14, 06:49 AM
LXTASY
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Daytime running lights - Nike lights

So here is my question: If I have the dealer disable my daytime running lights, when the car is RUNNING and I have the position set on the 2nd setting (between "Off" and "Headlights on", its simply a dot on the stalk) I expect the only lights that would be on would be the Nike lights, correct? My goal is to have the ability to use just the Nike lights as my "daytime running lights".
Old 11-08-14, 12:14 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are correct. That is how I have mine setup. Only problem is that the bulbs I have are not bright enough to function as a DRL. Also the "Nike" light is broken by the headlight washer. I'm looking into getting the LS460 headlights from Japan which don't have the headlight washers and look like a true check mark.
Let me know if you find a bright enough bulb.
Old 11-08-14, 04:44 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by is150
You are correct. That is how I have mine setup. Only problem is that the bulbs I have are not bright enough to function as a DRL. Also the "Nike" light is broken by the headlight washer. I'm looking into getting the LS460 headlights from Japan which don't have the headlight washers and look like a true check mark.
Let me know if you find a bright enough bulb.
Is that the only difference between the jdm headlights? I read earlier they need to be aimed? I thought they were self leveling?
Old 11-08-14, 03:50 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
Is that the only difference between the jdm headlights? I read earlier they need to be aimed? I thought they were self leveling?
I've read that too. It may only have to be because the lights are from Japan and they drive on the left side of the road. Shouldn't be hard to Aim the lights correctly. The self leveling should have to do with the vertical movement of the light where the aiming had to do with the lateral movement.
Old 11-08-14, 04:39 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by is150
I've read that too. It may only have to be because the lights are from Japan and they drive on the left side of the road. Shouldn't be hard to Aim the lights correctly. The self leveling should have to do with the vertical movement of the light where the aiming had to do with the lateral movement.
I dunno bcuz they also function with left an right turning...but j.i.c. what's a ballpark price for a set?
Old 11-08-14, 06:10 PM
is150
Lead Lap

I dunno bcuz they also function with left an right turning...but j.i.c. what's a ballpark price for a set?
I had a guy that i am friends with on instagram who lives in Japan look on their auction sites and he found them for about $1000 a set. But its nice that they are completely plug and play. I also sent a message to Fizzautosports to see if they could get them and if so how much, but they havent replied back. I will try emailing them again.
Old 11-12-14, 08:32 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The first click on the **** is park lights. So yes the nike light will be on but your amber corner and taillights as well.
Old 11-24-14, 04:27 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

The only way to do a nike light drl is too interrupt the nike light (at the plug for the headlight for that bulb) if you do it at the plug for the bulb itself you will have extra wires when unplugging the headlight. it makes for a cleaner install at the white plug going into the headlight housing. put a relay in line between the vehicle and that bulb. otherwise you will wind up powering up all the other parking lights as well.you can use ignition from the cigarette lighter fuse through a rocker switch to activate the relay so whenever the vehicle starts you will have DRL from your Nike lights..

I did this yesterday will post pics later today or tomorrow( i just had the lenses recleared and need to have them buffed b4 installation)
Old 11-24-14, 04:33 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Fyi you'll need 2 relays 1 per bulb....here's a pic of them b4 being recleared. . (Not on the car)

Sam lower that screen brightness level.... (u have been warned)
Attached Thumbnails Daytime running lights - Nike lights-20140820_112127-1.jpg  
Old 11-24-14, 09:30 AM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Fyi you'll need 2 relays 1 per bulb....here's a pic of them b4 being recleared. . (Not on the car)

Do you have pics of the wiring setup? Have an idea, but just want to make sure.

Thanks
Old 11-24-14, 04:10 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn it popped up before I got the chance lmao.
Old 11-24-14, 04:41 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dirteeboy
Do you have pics of the wiring setup? Have an idea, but just want to make sure.

Thanks
Its a typical 5wire relay (i suggest a 15amp fuse then a rocker or toggle switch to the ignition leads of the relay for saftey as well as the ability to turn off drl when goin in for service)

85:ignition (12v)
86:ground (-)
87:ignition (12v).. (can be connected to 85)
87a: input for oem nike light
30: output to oem nike light bulb
Attached Thumbnails Daytime running lights - Nike lights-screenshot_2014-11-24-19-33-20-1.png   Daytime running lights - Nike lights-screenshot_2014-11-24-19-35-20.png  

Last edited by Shibumi1; 11-24-14 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-24-14, 04:44 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Make sure you get the correct wire for the nike light. There are 2 wires that have 12v pos for the nike light (wire colors may differ) but you can use the white/black stripe as negative for relay in the same harness
Old 11-26-14, 02:51 PM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure you get the correct wire for the nike light. There are 2 wires that have 12v pos for the nike light (wire colors may differ) but you can use the white/black stripe as negative for relay in the same harness
Thanks for the wire layout. What bulbs are you using, those are crazy bright
Old 11-27-14, 04:56 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Dirteeboy
Thanks for the wire layout. What bulbs are you using, those are crazy bright

Trade secret til my build is done.. (should be done next week.. damn Fl weather)

Quick Reply: Daytime running lights - Nike lights