LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I'm screwed unless you have an idea

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 01:17 PM
saustin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm screwed unless you have an idea

I guess I'm pretty much screwed. I purchased a '10 LS460 L from a local dealer who had purchased it, along with two other lease returns from the nearby Lexus dealer. This one had been certified (which I found out was not transferable after the fact) and it had 48,7000 but was over the four-year warranty limit.
So after driving it for a while it seems to be much "rougher" riding then my previous '06 LS430 and seems to have a suspension (or shock) problem in the front right. (I saw on the service record that the dealer had replaced the left front shock at about 30,xxx. So anyway, I have no warranty although I've only had it a month and it was certified and now need to do some front end work on the car. I read where there was "service alerts" on similar.
It has "air suspension" and some sort of adjustable ride. You can't but an aftermarket shock and the dealer shock for such is outrageous. And, it "books" at a 2.5 to 3 hour job to replace.

Seems like on an $80,000 (new sticker) price car shouldn't be having those types of issues with 48,000 miles.

Any ideas on how I may "shoot my way out" of this...?
S. Austin
Old 09-17-14, 01:51 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Sorry to hear about your Lexus problems. I would HIGHLY recommend purchasing the extended warranty by all means on any late model Lexus LS. The Lexus LS is obvious a complex and sophisticated vehicle with all kinds of electronic gadgetry. Breakdowns do occur and the extended warranty can be a piece of mind and save you $$$$. Sorry, but its time to pay the piper some serious $$$$.
Old 09-17-14, 04:15 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Should of kept your 430. Sorry, I should not be like that but this is exactly why I did not buy a 460. Air-shocks are expensive. I have them on my 430 (an 04 with 121k) and I was worried about them failing too when I purchased the car. I picked up a nice used set for off eBay for $500 They have been in storage for over a year now but if you don't want to fork out for a new one I suggest searching for a used part. Good luck. Funny, just goes to show the risk involved with owning a 460 vs a 430 with no warranty. I'm not a fan of extended warranties but with the 460 I probably would not own one without it.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-17-14 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-17-14, 04:28 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Should of kept your 430. Sorry, I should not be like that but this is exactly why I did not buy a 460. Air-shocks are expensive. I have them on my 430 (an 04 with 121k) and I was worried about them failing too when I purchased the car. I picked up a nice used set for off eBay for $500 They have been in storage for over a year now but if you don't want to fork out for a new one I suggest searching for a used part. Good luck. Funny, just goes to show the risk involved with owning a 460 vs a 430 with no warranty. I'm not a fan of extended warranties but with the 460 I probably would not own one without it.
Surprise surprise...Another the 430 is better than a 460 comment from you.

Please explain again how this one gentleman's issue shows the risk involved with owning a 460 over a 430? If you are so sure of the 430 why buy extra shocks? In case something happens right? It does. Happens with every car.

Just so you know there is a forum specifically for 430 owners who can regale each other with the whimsical tales of the poor 460 owner and his horrendous vehicle. You can all laugh hysterically while talking about the millions of repair dollars wasted on such an inferior vehicle when all they had to do was keep using the old model. Never update I say!

Enough already. Its not helping this person, and it doesn't really help anyone. You are happy with your 430 we get that.
Old 09-17-14, 04:36 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Something is wrong with you Greg. This is called a forum where people express their opinions. I own a 10 year old car with a lot more miles... Hint hint. Anyway, as I mentioned I suggest you search for a used air-shock vs buying it new. You will save a lot. I'm sure mine will also fail at some point but I'm also unwilling to pay for them new; not worth it at all. The best idea is to locate a nice used one or convert the suspension.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-17-14 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-17-14, 04:38 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by saustin
I guess I'm pretty much screwed. I purchased a '10 LS460 L from a local dealer who had purchased it, along with two other lease returns from the nearby Lexus dealer. This one had been certified (which I found out was not transferable after the fact) and it had 48,7000 but was over the four-year warranty limit.
So after driving it for a while it seems to be much "rougher" riding then my previous '06 LS430 and seems to have a suspension (or shock) problem in the front right. (I saw on the service record that the dealer had replaced the left front shock at about 30,xxx. So anyway, I have no warranty although I've only had it a month and it was certified and now need to do some front end work on the car. I read where there was "service alerts" on similar.
It has "air suspension" and some sort of adjustable ride. You can't but an aftermarket shock and the dealer shock for such is outrageous. And, it "books" at a 2.5 to 3 hour job to replace.

Seems like on an $80,000 (new sticker) price car shouldn't be having those types of issues with 48,000 miles.

Any ideas on how I may "shoot my way out" of this...?
S. Austin
Even though on paper you are out of warranty, given that (1) you've only had the car one month, (2) the mileage is less than 50k, (3) this is a known problem that had already been addressed on a different corner and (4) the car was certified (you may not have a CPO warranty, but the fact remains that this was missed/overlooked in the CPO inspection), I would say you have some viable options. I would start with the dealer you purchased from, and they should have some recourse with the Lexus dealer they bought from. What follows next is a function of the response you get, but escalating to 800-25-LEXUS is certainly an option, as is purchasing a used-car extended warranty from Lexus as they are now apparently allowing.
Old 09-17-14, 04:39 PM
vincentesq
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was super happy with my LS 430 for more than 12 years. However, having owned the LS 460 for only a couple of weeks, I have to say that everything about the LS 460 is better; acceleration, braking, cornering, etc.....the only thing that might seem worse is noise, but I think it's because the LS460 is so quiet, even more quiet than the LS430, that I can hear and identify all noise.
Sorry, did not mean to hijack this thread. My opinion is the shocks will last many years to come, and most extended warranties do not cover them anyway, so it's best to just accept that this will cost you some $$$ but, it's not too bad, and you don't have to worry about it for another 5-8 years! You have an excellent car! All cars will break down. At least this is not an emergency, so you can choose the to fix it now or in a month or two.
Old 09-17-14, 04:55 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Air-shocks are the weakest part of the suspension. Also the control arms. The reason I purchased my used set is because that everybody was saying OMG, their so expensive to replace. Your going to be screwed. Now they have been in storage for over a year but I guess it's some piece of mind. In my opinion, the climate you live in seems to be a major factor in longevity. The more mild the longer they seem to last.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-18-14 at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-17-14, 05:34 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

To clear the air..not all 460s have air suspension. 460L's are available without air susp as well. 600s all have air susp
Old 09-17-14, 11:42 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
To clear the air..not all 460s have air suspension. 460L's are available without air susp as well. 600s all have air susp
He is correct. I specifically looked for one without with the intention of putting aftermarket air. An entire aftermarket air setup is just about the same cost as replacing factory air shocks. Other guys in my crew have pulled out the factory air for aftermarket. And we are all happy with it.
Old 09-18-14, 03:20 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Correct. I guess I should of been more clear to reference those with the air suspension. Same difference on the 430. This is why many UL owners prefer to convert their suspension to the standard coil and shock setup or coilovers if they start to leak at the airbags.
Old 09-18-14, 09:09 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Call these folks and ask if they have anything http://www.strutmasters.com/Lexus-LS...sion-s/102.htm

May be a fail since the show a 600 under the ls400 category lol
Old 09-18-14, 09:15 AM
triniexr
Driver

I believe there are a few places that can rebuild your air shock... that may be a cheaper alternative.
Old 09-18-14, 09:32 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Should of kept your 430. Sorry, I should not be like that but this is exactly why I did not buy a 460
Sorry, but the 430 is fugly compared to the 460. I purposely avoided the 430 for that reason when I decided to jump on a Lexus and off my 7 series. Admittedly, I avoided the air suspension, but still....the 430 pales in every other way to the 460 in technology, features and so on. Also, life is not so bright and sunshiny in the 430 forums. Lots of, (in fact MORE), issues there than on the 460 forum.

As for conversion kits, here's one that sells for 1800 dollars and lifetime warranty:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4Wheel-Suspension-Air-Spring-Bag-Strut-to-Coil-Over-Gas-Strut-Conversion-Kit-/310518153358?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2010%7CModel%3ALS460&hash=item484c53008e&vxp=mtr
Old 09-18-14, 09:40 AM
sessayan
Driver School Candidate

Wow! I love the air suspension. Yes, It might break but so what! Its a great ride and its cool! Cool features don't come cheap so if your worried about the $$$, maybe a Toyota is a better move!!!

Quick Reply: I'm screwed unless you have an idea