LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Just changed my oil & filter...bets on whether it hesitates??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-14, 06:59 AM
legend0121
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there a way to updated the ecu's our self?
Old 08-14-14, 09:53 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by robert1408
There is some question in this thread about cam phasing on these engines. The intake cam is varied electrically and the exhaust cam is varied using oil pressure. I read that on shutdown, the intake cam is advanced to increase valve overlap which makes the engine easier for the starter to turn.
I went ahead and read some of the specs for the VVT technology for this engine and yes it does seem that the exhaust cam is pressure lubrication dependent.
This is a good article.
http://youdiyauto.blogspot.com/2012/...rtup-tick.html

I'm going to place my bets on an oil related deposit problem which can possibly cause this issue soon as the engine oil has been changed until the initial cleaning of the oil has settled down.
Those VVT oil passages are pretty tight.

Last edited by Devh; 08-14-14 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-14-14, 10:35 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by robert1408
There is some question in this thread about cam phasing on these engines. The intake cam is varied electrically and the exhaust cam is varied using oil pressure. I read that on shutdown, the intake cam is advanced to increase valve overlap which makes the engine easier for the starter to turn.
Originally Posted by Devh
I went ahead and read some of the specs for the VVT technology for this engine and yes it does seem that the exhaust cam is pressure lubrication dependent.
This is a good article.
http://youdiyauto.blogspot.com/2012/...rtup-tick.html

I'm going to place my bets on an oil related deposit problem which can possibly cause this issue soon as the engine oil has been changed until the initial cleaning of the oil has settled down.
Those VVT oil passages are pretty tight.
Wow, nice investigative work guys!
Old 08-14-14, 07:55 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Good info boys.

So after driving home last night and driving in today, the issue did not crop up again. So in summary , it happened once only. I added two bottles of Rislone Engine Treatment to the oil (2x500 ml). The reason I did this was to see if it would quiet the lifters enough to fool the overly sensitive knock sensor on these cars. I also sent in my oil sample today to Blackstone. Curious to see what it says.
Old 08-14-14, 08:28 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Good info boys.

So after driving home last night and driving in today, the issue did not crop up again. So in summary , it happened once only. I added two bottles of Rislone Engine Treatment to the oil (2x500 ml). The reason I did this was to see if it would quiet the lifters enough to fool the overly sensitive knock sensor on these cars. I also sent in my oil sample today to Blackstone. Curious to see what it says.
If you are using any type of engine treatment like Rislone I would highly recommend dumping the engine oil early because it will displace the additive package of the oil. I would only use a product like AutoRx because it's an organic ester that is cleans over time liquefying the contaminants. An AutoRx treatment is so effective that it will make your cams look like shiny new quarters.
You can also try an engine flush before your next oil change that is made by Amsoil which is also a dispersant. Other flushes on the market can cause more harm then good.

On your next oil change I would highly recommend using the specially formulated Synthetic from Toyota. Because of this thread I now understand Toyota's rational for having a very high viscosity index compared to other oils.
Old 08-14-14, 09:33 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Did you want Dunkin or Krispy Kreme!

Yikes, I can't believe this happening to you guys. I have never experienced this in my car (knock on wood).

I guess you should have the TSIB done. I wouldn't think Dino oil would make difference ......... would it?
C'mon man! Seriously?? Krispy Kreme vs Dunkin???? KK all the way!
Old 08-14-14, 10:02 PM
enjo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C'mon man! Seriously?? Krispy Kreme vs Dunkin???? KK all the way!
Never!!!! Dunkin forever!
Old 08-14-14, 10:11 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by enjo
Never!!!! Dunkin forever!
????? Fresh made vs factory shipped and dry = no contest.

Warm, feshly fried, glazed. yum
Old 08-15-14, 02:42 AM
enjo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

????? Fresh made vs factory shipped and dry = no contest.

Warm, freshly fried, glazed. yum
.....and that's how the war started.......
Old 08-15-14, 07:29 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

UPDATE:

I'm pretty stroked right now! After the one hesitation following the oil change (and a minor hesitation at that), There has been no return of the issue. Not only that, but power and smoothness/linearity of response is so much better. While I'm not a believer in "snake oils", I can only attribute the improvement to the Rislone I added in desperation. Perhaps it cleaned and dislodged something in the VVT system as noted by Devh, or maybe it's the "placebo effect" and all in my imaginationm, LOL. Regardless, the hesitation is GONE.

In summary, this rules out viscosity and dino vs syn oils, since this time and last time I used the same 5w20 synthetic. The only difference from my previous oil change, (when the hesitaton was unbearable for several weeks), was that I used a Toyota filter rather than Fram and these two bottles of Rislone. Here is the product:

http://rislone.ca/catalog/view/45-en...centrate-34102

I will update if anything changes, but so far, I am in love with my car again!

I'm still going to proceed with the ECU revision/update through my dealer soon.
Old 08-15-14, 08:45 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I still wouldn't rule out viscosity until you do an oil change with 0w20.
Old 08-15-14, 08:54 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I still wouldn't rule out viscosity until you do an oil change with 0w20.
Fair enough, I have nothing to lose by trying, except that these issues are reported by MOSTLY those running the 0W20. However, I'm prepared to give it a go!
Old 08-16-14, 06:33 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

UPDATE:

I'm pretty stroked right now! After the one hesitation following the oil change (and a minor hesitation at that), There has been no return of the issue. Not only that, but power and smoothness/linearity of response is so much better ....... Regardless, the hesitation is GONE.
Ah ha, you just lost your 10 Krispy Kremes.

In fact, one could argue that you now owe me those doughnuts!
Old 08-16-14, 08:05 AM
Devh
Racer

UPDATE:
In summary, this rules out viscosity and dino vs syn oils, since this time and last time I used the same 5w20 synthetic. The only difference from my previous oil change, (when the hesitaton was unbearable for several weeks), was that I used a Toyota filter rather than Fram and these two bottles of Rislone. Here is the product:
I think it actually confirms what I have been trying to convey to you. These issue are most likely the result of changing from dino oil to Synthetic. Synthetic oils esters clean up varnish and deposits left over from the dirty dino oil however they do not liquefy all of it. Those deposits find their way to the VVT Solenoid valve mesh catch screen and impede flow until the synthetic cleaning subsides.
This is also the reason why those that switch to the Toyota synthetic oil also have this issue. If the car was run after the initial break in with Synthetic oil you should not have this issue.

BTW Risione is only a temporary fix as the problem will come back if you don't use it regularly. If you use it regularly you risk displacing the oil additives.

Fram is the worst oil filter manufacture out there. Avoid Fram at all costs as they are know to not be made with good materials and there are many incidences with collapsed filters. Denso makes some of the best oil filters right up there with Bosh which also has a great reputation.
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (08-08-21)
Old 08-16-14, 12:27 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am using the 0-20w and i have had hesitation for atleast 1000 miles but it doesn't happen all the time its almost gone though as it comes and goes, sometimes this car drives like a rape ape and with the hesitation it is very unsmooth. although KK is fresh they are not filling come to seattle and get some top pot donuts, maple bar with bacon on it.

Quick Reply: Just changed my oil & filter...bets on whether it hesitates??