LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS remote start install DIY

Old 05-17-14, 03:39 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default LS remote start install DIY

For those of you who may be thinking of doing this install, this may be the easiest install DIY I have ever done for a remote start.
Only 2 screws removed from the car
4 connections and 1 ground

For UNDER 100.00

My install was done on a 2010 LS600h
Let me start by saying, I assume NO responsibility for anyone's faulty install. This is merely to help if one is so inclined to try this.

I chose to use a DBALL2 with their RSR (remote start ready) module.
What I wanted it to do...
I wanted a pure and simple remote start WITH my existing key FOB. Understand that this setup has NO takeover feature. Explained later.
I wants the least amount of wiring and few units
This is functional with 4 connections and 1 ground
This is IT...START THE CAR! That's all I wanted.

It works as such...
Push Lock on the OEM FOB 3 times and the car chirps 4 times then the car starts.
The OEM fob still works the same while the car is now running with the doors locked.
The sensors IN the door handles still work the same while the car is running.
You can still remotely unlock the doors
You can still trigger the panic
You can still open the trunk with the key FOB...HOWEVER, the car will now shut down.
Open a door with the proximity sensor handle...the car shuts down.
Disarm with the FOB and open the door...the car shuts down
Open the hood...the car shuts down, AND the alarm will go off. Safety feature.
This is the NO TAKEOVER feature. You will always have to re-fire the car when you get in.

Additionally...
You can push the door handle button 3x and it starts too!
To turn off the car, push the lock 3x or the door handle button 3x or open a door.

Tools needed...
Plastic panel pry tool or flat screw driver with tape on it so you don't mar up any panels
Philips head
10mm socket
Your own way to tap into wires, solder, t-taps, butt connectors...your choice.
Flash light

Equipment needed...

XKLoader2 - need this to flash the DBALL
Amazon Amazon

DBALL/DBALL2 - this is ALL you will need to remotely start the car...it's the brains.
Amazon Amazon

Xpressvip4.5 - you need this software ON your PC to flash the DBALL with the RSR Flash
http://www.xpresskit.com/XpressVIP5.aspx

Do your homework!
Read All the documentation to flash the DBALL contained with the XKLOADER. It's a very easy process if you will read, read read!

Get familiar with the DBALL wiring! DL the manual prior to buying it,

Panels to remove

Start by removing the side panel as shown below, it pops out with clips.

Remove the wood trim piece...it just pops out with 2 clips

Remove this Phillips screw behind the wood grain piece

Remove this 10mm bolt under the parking brake on the right side of the steering column. The cover pops off and the bolt is behind it.

PULL the entire panel off below the steering column...it's held ONLY by a series of clips.
Below I am pointing at the ECU where all the wires get connected.

Here is the wiring for the DBALL...super easy!

The ONLY wires you actually need to hook up is...
CAN-
CAN+
BOTH 12V
STSW
Ground

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I can tell you that this is SO SIMPLE!!!

Works great! Perfect for me.
The following 5 users liked this post by slimjimtel:
DavidinCT (12-08-19), dc5423 (01-03-18), jdanielca (05-01-19), RazorBack1 (12-27-18), RoninAMG (01-10-17)
Old 05-17-14, 06:06 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

So you can not start the car remotely, get in and drive off without the car shutting down and needing you to start it again?
Old 05-17-14, 06:18 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Correct!
There is no "takeover" feature. You would need a viper type alarm/remote start to handle this.

For me, I don't mind it this way. I will ONLY use it when I leave the office in the afternoon when it's hot to cool the car down.
The following users liked this post:
ali2000 (04-10-17)
Old 05-18-14, 04:09 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
Correct!
There is no "takeover" feature. You would need a viper type alarm/remote start to handle this.

For me, I don't mind it this way. I will ONLY use it when I leave the office in the afternoon when it's hot to cool the car down.
That's an inaccurate statement. ....THERE IS NO TAKEOVER AVAILABLE. . PERIOD..... alarm, no alarm, dball etc...

Sorry to disappoint. .but at this time it is what it is..dei wont assume liability for a stolen vehicle...so its the only option. ..
countryLS (10-04-19)
Old 05-18-14, 11:31 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
dei wont assume liability for a stolen vehicle.
Ah, now it makes sense......... !

Old 05-18-14, 02:28 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
That's an inaccurate statement. ....THERE IS NO TAKEOVER AVAILABLE. . PERIOD..... alarm, no alarm, dball etc...

Sorry to disappoint. .but at this time it is what it is..dei wont assume liability for a stolen vehicle...so its the only option. ..
DEI alarm/remote start systems DO have takeover features.
My IS350 had a PKALL and a Viper remote start and you disarmed, got in WITH your key fob, touched the brake within 45 seconds of disarming and you were ready to drive. HOWEVER, you have to use the viper remote and NOT the OEM FOB.

The right setup, with an aftermarket alarm or remote start WILL work. It's more wiring, more money and the Use of an extra remote on your keychain.

All of which I didn't want!
Old 05-19-14, 06:14 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

The IS has an entirely different cpu than the LS... seeing as I have the 5706 an dball on my car, and 26 yrs in the car audio industry. .I can say for certain. ..THERE IS NO TAKEOVER OPTION FOR THE LS(at present).... I have raised the issue w the DEI tech dept.. if u absolutely must have takeover..then find a 5901 alarm an a canmax400dei bypass. .flash it w the older firmware. .but you'll be sacrificing a few convenience options..such as comfort closure..and being able to control the alarm w the oem fob...(fyi they have both been discontinued)

Just to elaborate a bit....all security, alarm, remote start functions in the LS run thru the CPU..an even if u add a stand alone dei (or any alarm brand) u must go thru the dball..an seeing that dball firmware wont allow takeover...even if the alarm supports it..takeover isn't an option.. furthermore try this test open ANY door on the LS an try to remote start it....it wont!

again there may be a way in theory to have to take over but it would entail a full security install including running wires to each individual pins which hood pin switch figuring out a way to bypass the transponder system in the LS which would require losing the key to the vehicle permanently leaving said key in the vehicle with the battery removed rigging up a transponder system to send signal to the push to start system and as that's going to be labor intensive look at labor to be anywhere from $1000 to $1500. don't get me wrong I'm a firm believer in anything is possible I recently put alarm remote start on a Lamborghini Gallardo with Smart Start..and when I called dei tech support they had no help for me as it is their policy they do not do Lamborghini. .and his bill was in the 7K range.. so if you're willing to come down to Florida and pay for it I'm willing to take the leap and give it a try.. and I would probably need the car for about a week

Last edited by Shibumi1; 05-19-14 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-19-14, 07:02 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
DEI alarm/remote start systems DO have takeover features.
My IS350 had a PKALL and a Viper remote start and you disarmed, got in WITH your key fob, touched the brake within 45 seconds of disarming and you were ready to drive. HOWEVER, you have to use the viper remote and NOT the OEM FOB.

The right setup, with an aftermarket alarm or remote start WILL work. It's more wiring, more money and the Use of an extra remote on your keychain.

All of which I didn't want!
You are referring to an IS. This is not available on the LS. Different animals.
Old 05-19-14, 07:15 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

here's the Lambo vid.. (sorry for the wind noise) i'll try to shoot another one when the customer stops by the shop

The following 2 users liked this post by Shibumi1:
BlazeViper (09-15-21), dugoram (04-23-21)
Old 05-29-14, 06:17 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Added the GPS smart start to the DBALL. I cannot tell you how happy I am with this system now. Flawless! Easy to install

From my iPhone I can now monitor...

Remote Starter: Active / Engine is running or Inactive
Doors: Locked or Unlocked
Doors: Open or Closed
trunk: open or closed
Ignition: On or Off
Hood: Open or Closed
Security System status: Armed or Disarmed
Security System Triggered: yes or no

GPS Location of the car
Speed at which the car is traveling
Speed alerts
Low battery alerts
Txt/email Alerts if your car moves /stolen

Plus many more cool features that May or may not be useful to most.

I have to say, easiest install I have ever done!

The ONLY limitation to this is the NO Takeover feature. Car shuts off when you open the door...no way around this. However, the car is nice and cool or toasty, you just have to refire with the start/stop button.

If anyone has any questions regarding this install, you are always welcome to PM me or ask here.
steedls400 (07-31-20)
Old 05-29-14, 07:23 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Here is a pic of the status screen.
Attached Thumbnails LS remote start install DIY-image.jpg  
steedls400 (07-31-20)
Old 05-29-14, 11:00 PM
Persocon
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks so much! Saved me the search for something exactly this, cheap, ease of install, existing key fob. Perfectly willing to live with no takeover for a cold car.

lol I keep thinking of the DBAL IR illuminator for my SCAR when I hear dball
Old 05-30-14, 12:04 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

So slimjimtel, what was your total cost for everything including the gps smart start?
Old 05-30-14, 02:24 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

DBALL 47.00
XKLOADER 25.00

Above for 72.00 is all you need to have remote start with your OEM FOB, 3x lock and the car starts.

ADD a smart start to use and monitor from your smart phone.
VSM200 around 125.00 from Amazon (there is a yearly fee of 70.00 for the smart start service)
OR
If you want the GPS locator to track the car if stolen OR teenagers are driving and you want to monitor.
Then it's about 175.00 for the VSM250 from Amazon @ 99.00 a year for the service.

If you DON'T want to flash the DBALL yourself and just want to buy the DBALL pre flashed, I have a guy that will sell you, program and give you all the wiring diagrams and color codes when you buy the equipment from him. His prices are fair and will also help you on the install by phone if needed. I can also assist on some of this. PM me for his email address. He's a very legit guy and honest. He works by paypal and ships usually the same day.
DriverSS (09-18-18)
Old 05-30-14, 06:24 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

This is all very tempting and I'm ready to pull the trigger. I'm good with wiring etc (I installed and did a DIY on the Nav bypass kit). My only concern is with the DBALL programming.....your post seems to hint that it may be fairly involved (?). Is it? When I look at the diagrams from Xpress, it seems straightforward....but is it?

GREAT write-up by the way!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS remote start install DIY