LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS remote start install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 03:27 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Spudo769
I have read this thread all the way through multiple times and still unsure of this due to my lack of soldering skills. I contacted a local installer and specifically asked for a quote for DBall 3 and also the DSM 300. He got back to me some good and bad news. He is running a special on the Dball 3, $180 installed. Adding the DSM 300 would be another $150.
However he said that according to his data if you just use the Dball that the key fob would no longer unlock the door after a remote start. He claims I would only be able to open the door with the Smart Card or with the key in the lock barrell after a remote start. This doesn't sound correct.
After all the reading and thinking about this i am thinking of forgetting about it, as the worst part for me in this subzero weather is getting to the car. Once in the heated seat and steering wheel heat up pretty quickly. I could use the same $350 to get my wheels powder coated. However I did think $330 plus tax was reasonable. I also asked if they solder the connections, he told me they solder data wires but use a military splice on all others.
​​​​
I had my dball3 installed without issue, the key works regardless with the remote start. I too paid under $200.00 for it to be done, this includes parts and labor.
By me saying the key works, it's not just via key in the lock barrel, but also with the remote on its own. I've done this numerous times. To lock, unlock, or shutoff the remote start early if the car was still running from being remote-started in the first place. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
dc5423 (01-03-18)
Old 01-03-18, 08:56 PM
dc5423
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuprod
You are correct with the install, that was parts and labor included. The unit itself was not expensive at all. I'm just a nightmare when it comes to electrical wiring, thankfully I'm not EOD (lol).
Also, you do not need Viper AND Dball, just the DBall works just fine. I had mine put in, and it's worked just fine in the 2-3 months I've owned the LS, and even right now with the frigid Chicago temps we've been having.
I don't know the proper terminology either , I just grasped what I could from others users in this thread and from what my installer told me when I asked him the same questions as you have. Hope this helps.

(PS: I believe Best Buy, and a few other local shops carry the dball, but I believe it's only the 2, not the 3, another member above me did state something about the differences between the two, if anything, that member knows quite a lot more about these units than I do, you could possibly PM him/her {username: Shibumi}
Which shop in chicago did you get it installed at? Im located in Naperville and just got a 2013 LS460.. I NEED autostart lol
Old 01-03-18, 10:52 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I just sent my dball3 back to the eBay seller Doug. Roadfrog posted the link early in the thread. I could not get the module to program. I hooked all the wires up and hit the ignition twice like it says in the instructions and could not get a green light which indicates its programmed. I even hit the ignition 3 times like roadfrog suggested even though that's not what the instructions tell you to do and all it does is shut the car down. I sent it back for a replacement because i didn't think he flashed it with the old firmware which he assured me he did. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Old 01-04-18, 04:31 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by dc5423
Which shop in chicago did you get it installed at? Im located in Naperville and just got a 2013 LS460.. I NEED autostart lol
I'm 15 minutes away from Naperville.
Right there with you, sent you a PM.
Old 01-04-18, 04:41 PM
Mekoz
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
I just sent my dball3 back to the eBay seller Doug. Roadfrog posted the link early in the thread. I could not get the module to program. I hooked all the wires up and hit the ignition twice like it says in the instructions and could not get a green light which indicates its programmed. I even hit the ignition 3 times like roadfrog suggested even though that's not what the instructions tell you to do and all it does is shut the car down. I sent it back for a replacement because i didn't think he flashed it with the old firmware which he assured me he did. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Same thing happened to me, all you needed to do was unhook the power and reconnect the power wire and it should work.
GL,
Mike
Old 01-05-18, 04:23 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Mekoz
Same thing happened to me, all you needed to do was unhook the power and reconnect the power wire and it should work.
GL,
Mike
Can you expound on this a little more? Are you talking about unhooking the wire from the DG connector?
Old 01-06-18, 07:09 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrats on your new LS! Tell me about yours...colors, features, miles, price paid? I'm also shopping for a 2013 LS and have yet to find the perfect one with my ideal color combinations, miles, price. Really interested in knowing what people have paid recently so I can negotiate the best price when I find the right one. Thanks!

And yes, I am also following this thread as I plan to put remote start on immediately as well. Darn, is it cold out there right now!

Last edited by Mbbarron; 01-06-18 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Adding a comment related to this thread
Old 01-06-18, 10:25 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
Congrats on your new LS! Tell me about yours...colors, features, miles, price paid? I'm also shopping for a 2013 LS and have yet to find the perfect one with my ideal color combinations, miles, price. Really interested in knowing what people have paid recently so I can negotiate the best price when I find the right one. Thanks!

And yes, I am also following this thread as I plan to put remote start on immediately as well. Darn, is it cold out there right now!
PMed you, Mbbarron.
Old 01-08-18, 09:41 PM
dc5423
Driver School Candidate

I had a 2015 gs fsport. It was a lease that would end in May. I really loved that car. It was my first Lexus, but when I saw prices of the LS I thought why not more car for same dollar. It’s a 2013 awd blue with space grey interior has mark sound system, Park assist and lane assist . I paid 32k 62000 miles lcerftI got the remote start installed with car link so I can start with myPhone. Im going to get it tinted and I’d like to get the module to mirror myiPhone. Thinking about wrapping the chrome.Special thanks tofuprod for the install connect

Last edited by dc5423; 01-09-18 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-08-18, 09:43 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

I had a 2015 gs fsport. It was a lease that would end in May. I really loved that car. It was my first Lexus, but when I saw prices of the LS I thought why not more car for same dollar. It’s a 2013 awd blue with space grey interior has mark sound system, Park asset and lane ***. I paid 32k 62000 miles lcerftI got the remote start installed with car link so I can start with myPhone. Im going to get it tinted and I’d like to get the module to mirror myiPhone. Thinking about wrapping the chrome.Special thanks tofuprod for the install connect
I must learn of this “lane ***”. Heh No problem buddy, let me know how it turns out!
Old 01-09-18, 04:46 AM
dc5423
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tofuprod
I must learn of this “lane ***”. Heh No problem buddy, let me know how it turns out!
Haha bad typo lolol
Old 01-09-18, 06:54 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

It’s a 2013 awd blue with space grey interior has mark sound system, Park assist and lane assist . I paid 32k 62000 miles lcerftI got the remote start installed with car link so I can start with myPhone. Im going to get it tinted and I’d like to get the module to mirror myiPhone. Thinking about wrapping the chrome.
You bought the one that I was seriously considering from a Lexus dealer in Milwaukee. I almost bought that car for the same price BTW. I love the Blue exterior! But I personally wasn't sold on the Shimamoku striped wood trim and the black paneling on the dash. Although I do love the light grey leather. And my husband agreed and thought I should wait for the right one that I love. I think you got a GREAT car! Please don't tell me it has lane keep assist (LKA)! I think that would have put me over the top and I might have bought it. I thought it had the Comfort pkg, BSM, and ML radio but I don't remember seeing the option for LKA on the steering wheel pics.

Anyway, enjoy! You got a great car. Keep me updated on your mods and how's she's doing. Especially interested myself in adding remote start and Android phone mirroring (although I really want an Android integration option where it can be controlled from the steering wheel and RTC), and either foot activated or hands free liftgate. I'm still waiting patiently for the right one to come along.
Old 01-09-18, 07:44 AM
dc5423
Driver School Candidate

You bought the one that I was seriously considering from a Lexus dealer in Milwaukee. I almost bought that car for the same price BTW. I love the Blue exterior! But I personally wasn't sold on the Shimamoku striped wood trim and the black paneling on the dash. Although I do love the light grey leather. And my husband agreed and thought I should wait for the right one that I love. I think you got a GREAT car! Please don't tell me it has lane keep assist (LKA)! I think that would have put me over the top and I might have bought it. I thought it had the Comfort pkg, BSM, and ML radio but I don't remember seeing the option for LKA on the steering wheel pics.

Anyway, enjoy! You got a great car. Keep me updated on your mods and how's she's doing. Especially interested myself in adding remote start and Android phone mirroring (although I really want an Android integration option where it can be controlled from the steering wheel and RTC), and either foot activated or hands free liftgate. I'm still waiting patiently for the right one to come along.
WHOA No way? You didn't happen to go see it the Saturday before Christmas did you? I love blue and I haven't seen many out by us so that kinda put me over the top. Interior to your point is just ok. I would have preferred black. I'm sorry It doesn't have LKA just the Lane notification (not sure what the actual term is for it). I'll definitely post pictures once it's tinted.
Old 01-09-18, 08:00 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

dc5423 I'm in Maryland so I didn't see it. I had negotiated on price to see if I could get it to a price where I was interested in getting a PPI. And I would have considered flying out to drive it, buy it, and drive it home. Which dealer did you end up buying it from? Was it Lexus of Milwaukee? He told me that if he didn't sell it by end of year, then he was selling it to a dealer in IL for $31K. Who knows if that was true or not or if you bought it right before he was set to sell it to another dealer. My last contact with them was on 12/28/17.

I'm currently trying to get pics on a 2013 Satin Cashmere at Lexus of Arlington, not too far from you. It's a definite lead but they'd have to come down on price to near what you paid. I think it's almost identical to your car (L-cert, miles, options), except different color.
Old 01-09-18, 09:07 AM
dc5423
Driver School Candidate

dc5423 I'm in Maryland so I didn't see it. I had negotiated on price to see if I could get it to a price where I was interested in getting a PPI. And I would have considered flying out to drive it, buy it, and drive it home. Which dealer did you end up buying it from? Was it Lexus of Milwaukee? He told me that if he didn't sell it by end of year, then he was selling it to a dealer in IL for $31K. Who knows if that was true or not or if you bought it right before he was set to sell it to another dealer. My last contact with them was on 12/28/17.

I'm currently trying to get pics on a 2013 Satin Cashmere at Lexus of Arlington, not too far from you. It's a definite lead but they'd have to come down on price to near what you paid. I think it's almost identical to your car (L-cert, miles, options), except different color.

Aw ok ya when I first saw it. It was 32999, and I waited until the friday before NYE and it was 32000. I should tried to get another 1000 off lol

Quick Reply: LS remote start install DIY