LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS remote start install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-17, 01:34 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone have an easy install on a 2013+ LS?
Old 10-22-17, 06:36 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 231 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsherv
Anyone have an easy install on a 2013+ LS?
+2.. interested to know as well.
Old 10-22-17, 07:18 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I ordered the DBall 3 preashed and the Viper Smart Card 300 from Toby. It may be some time before it arrives and I get it installed but Toby verifi it will all work in 2013+ models.

Originally Posted by tofuprod
+2.. interested to know as well.
Old 10-22-17, 01:46 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigsherv
I ordered the DBall 3 preashed and the Viper Smart Card 300 from Toby. It may be some time before it arrives and I get it installed but Toby verifi it will all work in 2013+ models.
That's awesome, please let us know.

I had this setup (from the prior owner) on my Ct200h and it worked excellently. Would love to have this on the LS. Doubt I would do it myself but hopefully my friend that is good with wiring, etc. can tackle it.
Old 10-24-17, 03:51 AM
Kadrian21
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone post a video on how to install this?
Old 11-15-17, 07:34 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

A quick update here::
Got it done on my 2013 today and it works like a charm. Apparently the dball 2 is surpassed now by a newer model and it's what I have -had a local guy install it for 180 out the door, couldn't be more pleased.

Do note that with the newer dball they had to bypass the relay and reuse another relay (not good with electrical terms per se) so that per my request, the daytime running lights would activate when the remote start was engaged - this way I could visually see that my car was on and running, since sometimes I have the front of the car facing me and may not necessarily see the exhaust fumes coming out the back to verify that the vehicle is on.

Install took about 30 minutes actually but took an extra one hour to figure out the wiring to make sure the daytime running lights would engage with the remote start.

Extremely pleased with this.
Old 11-15-17, 07:47 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

New part is called Db3.. (for dball3) for anyone interested
Old 11-15-17, 07:55 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

^ figured as much, just wasn't 100% sure on it, comes with newer firmware and some other things I believe.
Old 11-15-17, 08:08 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tofuprod
^ figured as much, just wasn't 100% sure on it, comes with newer firmware and some other things I believe.
faster processor more memory (for future use) but the older units can be flashed with newer firmware... (so for our cars there's no major difference they even has the exact same harnesses) think smartphone.. u can update your old phones firmware an it'll work fine(too a point) .. but newer phones perform the same tasks an more.. but if you're ONLY making phone calls there's no point in a $1k smart phone when a $99 flip phone will do.. but hey its the way of the world.. newer is newer

my hope is they'll find a work around so we can get takeover but as yet no such luck..

Last edited by Shibumi1; 11-15-17 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-02-18, 12:06 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

If I was looking to add remote start on a 2013 LS 460, and I don't need a smartphone app, but I would like it work with the factory keyfob (so that I don't need 2 keyfobs), what would you recommend? I don't need a long distance remote, I just want to be able to activate it from inside my house to the car in my attached carport. TIA!
Old 01-02-18, 12:58 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
If I was looking to add remote start on a 2013 LS 460, and I don't need a smartphone app, but I would like it work with the factory keyfob (so that I don't need 2 keyfobs), what would you recommend? I don't need a long distance remote, I just want to be able to activate it from inside my house to the car in my attached carport. TIA!
Look into my post above yours:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10032585

I installed mine on my '13 using factory key fob. Auto starts with 3 clicks of the lock button. And will shut off doing the same thing 3 times.
Run-time by default I believe is 10-15 mins. Works beautifully thus far.
Old 01-02-18, 01:50 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

tofuprod: Do I only need the Dball3 or do I also need a viper remote start system? I was under the impression that the dball was just to bypass the second keyfob. Will this also trigger the remote start? Sorry I don't know the proper terminology for these things hence all my research on these forums. The dball system seems so cheap (around $35) so when you said it cost you $180 with install, most of that was in labor correct?
Old 01-02-18, 03:51 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
tofuprod: Do I only need the Dball3 or do I also need a viper remote start system? I was under the impression that the dball was just to bypass the second keyfob. Will this also trigger the remote start? Sorry I don't know the proper terminology for these things hence all my research on these forums. The dball system seems so cheap (around $35) so when you said it cost you $180 with install, most of that was in labor correct?
You are correct with the install, that was parts and labor included. The unit itself was not expensive at all. I'm just a nightmare when it comes to electrical wiring, thankfully I'm not EOD (lol).
Also, you do not need Viper AND Dball, just the DBall works just fine. I had mine put in, and it's worked just fine in the 2-3 months I've owned the LS, and even right now with the frigid Chicago temps we've been having.
I don't know the proper terminology either , I just grasped what I could from others users in this thread and from what my installer told me when I asked him the same questions as you have. Hope this helps.

(PS: I believe Best Buy, and a few other local shops carry the dball, but I believe it's only the 2, not the 3, another member above me did state something about the differences between the two, if anything, that member knows quite a lot more about these units than I do, you could possibly PM him/her {username: Shibumi}
The following users liked this post:
dc5423 (01-03-18)
Old 01-03-18, 03:23 PM
Spudo769
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I have read this thread all the way through multiple times and still unsure of this due to my lack of soldering skills. I contacted a local installer and specifically asked for a quote for DBall 3 and also the DSM 300. He got back to me some good and bad news. He is running a special on the Dball 3, $180 installed. Adding the DSM 300 would be another $150.
However he said that according to his data if you just use the Dball that the key fob would no longer unlock the door after a remote start. He claims I would only be able to open the door with the Smart Card or with the key in the lock barrell after a remote start. This doesn't sound correct.
After all the reading and thinking about this i am thinking of forgetting about it, as the worst part for me in this subzero weather is getting to the car. Once in the heated seat and steering wheel heat up pretty quickly. I could use the same $350 to get my wheels powder coated. However I did think $330 plus tax was reasonable. I also asked if they solder the connections, he told me they solder data wires but use a military splice on all others.
​​​​
Old 01-03-18, 03:25 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Spudo769
I have read this thread all the way through multiple times and still unsure of this due to my lack of soldering skills. I contacted a local installer and specifically asked for a quote for DBall 3 and also the DSM 300. He got back to me some good and bad news. He is running a special on the Dball 3, $180 installed. Adding the DSM 300 would be another $150.
However he said that according to his data if you just use the Dball that the key fob would no longer unlock the door after a remote start. He claims I would only be able to open the door with the Smart Card or with the key in the lock barrell after a remote start. This doesn't sound correct.
After all the reading and thinking about this i am thinking of forgetting about it, as the worst part for me in this subzero weather is getting to the car. Once in the heated seat and steering wheel heat up pretty quickly. I could use the same $350 to get my wheels powder coated. However I did think $330 plus tax was reasonable.
​​​​
He is incorrect. Find another shop. And there's no soldering required.

Quick Reply: LS remote start install DIY