LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS remote start install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-17, 06:30 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
So, I pulled the cover of today, It didn't look like the colors lined up with the paper, after about an hour looking over it, I gave up. Maybe it's just my 46 year old eyes. Anyone one in CT (eastern) willing to install this for me ? Say $40 or so ?

My kit is pre-programmed for my LS460 and I even have the red T-taps, with even the plastic tools to pop the covers off.

If no one here can help, I figure I'll drop by a car stereo installer to drop it in..
Personally I am a fan of iDATA link and/or EVO stuffs. Last one I did was on 2015 RX450h. Make sure you are looking at right connector and orient the pin correctly
regarding pin numbers. 46 yo? I'll be 77 in October, LOL! Have a multimeter. Looks like you are installing one to use your OEM fob? Pushing lock button 3 times.
For this some cars have a wiring harness premade just plug them in to install it. I don't see any antenna hook up.
Old 06-10-17, 07:10 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
Personally I am a fan of iDATA link and/or EVO stuffs. Last one I did was on 2015 RX450h. Make sure you are looking at right connector and orient the pin correctly
regarding pin numbers. 46 yo? I'll be 77 in October, LOL! Have a multimeter. Looks like you are installing one to use your OEM fob? Pushing lock button 3 times.
For this some cars have a wiring harness premade just plug them in to install it. I don't see any antenna hook up.
Ok, so the color does not matter, just the exact location. Yea, installing the Push lock 3x for start feature as this thread is covering.

The last question is on the DG connector larger black wire, will the red T-tap fit on it, or do I need a different one ? Like a blue one
Old 06-17-17, 09:40 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Can I ask another question... As it's hard for me to get into that spot to do this. Can I unplug from the ECU to install these T-TAPS then put it back together. Should I unplug the battery when I attempt this (removing plugs from the ECU) ?

Cant see why I am having such a hard time with this, it looks simple but, I just cant get my hands in there to do it, Unplugging stuff to attach would seem to make it easy.

Then the last question the BLACK wire on the DG connector, it's larger than the other cables, will the RED T-TAP fit, or should I find another size not to damage the cable ?
Old 06-20-17, 05:59 PM
userix
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the new DB3 module work the exact same as with OP's DBall 2 module? Is there a plug and play harness that makes the install easier as in not having to splice wires manually?
Old 08-27-17, 02:32 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

So,I tried this today (been afraid to do it and because my fingers are big so getting that T-TAP on those little wires I could not do). I pulled the battery on my car (dam radio reseets !), and one by one, I removed the plugs from the computer. mapped out each spot, used red T-taps and went one by one (this made it VERY EASY to do). The BLACK/power cable was the hardest, I had to cut the cover, step by step till I exposed the wire, then too the 2 connectors that needed to be oh power, dropped a bit of sodder and about 4 layers of electrical tape. I wish I had a T-tap for the power wire (would of gone much quicker). The ground was easy, there was a metal frame with a screw in it, losened it up, put it on there, tighted it up. Took me about an hour, but, I was going slow.

Now remote start works, Thanks to this thread... finally it's working !
Old 09-22-17, 01:00 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Anyone in Houston know how to install this in a 2014? Happy to pay you to do it.
Old 10-16-17, 10:33 PM
Kadrian21
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default anyone in Dallas Fort Worth know how to install this

Anyone in the Dallas Fort Worth area know how to install this I have a 2009 ls460 awd vase non ML system I have the dball3 pre flashed from eBay
Old 10-17-17, 11:38 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I called a number of shops here in Houston. I asked if I could get them to install the dball until. Places wanted 250 to 350 with me bringing the unit. One asked for 600 for the unit plus install.

I gave up on remote start until Best buy offered the Compustar system for 199 installed. I ordered that and it arrives in a few days.
Old 10-17-17, 12:41 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by bigsherv
I called a number of shops here in Houston. I asked if I could get them to install the dball until. Places wanted 250 to 350 with me bringing the unit. One asked for 600 for the unit plus install.

I gave up on remote start until Best buy offered the Compustar system for 199 installed. I ordered that and it arrives in a few days.
The difference is, with 3rd party kits, you need another remote on your keychain. This one you just use the factory remote.

$250-300 ? WOW, ebay $1.00 for the red t-clips.... it's not that hard to do. In fact, compared to others said on here, Pulling the battery and pulling the plugs from the computer one by one is easy to do...

I mean I suck at wiring in cars, I never would even do a car stereo on my older cars but, this was not that bad at all. only 5 wires to connect.

I picked up the ebay one... I didn't want to do it myself, so I tried to call 3-4 places. They all would not touch it for legal reasons.
Old 10-17-17, 12:46 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bigsherv

How come you did not receive complete instruction for installing the thing? Do you need 1 way or 2 way and what feature and range you would like? Compustar uses iDATA link stuff. If you have basic electronics knowledge and knows how to read schematics on wiring it can be a DIY job with some particular tools for dash panel removal without scratches. I always solder wires when I do mine. Done it many times including current '15 RX 450h. I got a kit from iDATA link, downloaded firmware to flash.
Instruction is on their web site. Their tech support is very good as well as Compustar tech support who are very friendly. Make sure you stay away from big Yellow cable under dash near steering column which is for air bag. If you are not sure, disconnect battery for the safety. If you make mistake, it can blow ECU($$$ headache)

Some working at the shops usually moonlight at their home charging less $$ for the job. If you don't want to try yourself. Good luck.
Old 10-17-17, 03:53 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

When i did mine i used the DIY on here. I used PosiTaps went easy works fine. You can do this !!
Old 10-18-17, 05:05 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

The difference is, with 3rd party kits, you need another remote on your keychain. This one you just use the factory remote.
EXACTLY. The DBall is seamless and as factory as you can get. It's the simplest DIY I've ever done. Pretty much plug and play.
Old 10-18-17, 05:44 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by roadfrog
EXACTLY. The DBall is seamless and as factory as you can get. It's the simplest DIY I've ever done. Pretty much plug and play.
Have you installed new RF kit(antenna kit) with it? Otherwise what is the range of the remote function? I carry two remotes, OEM smart key and iDATA link supplied 2 way remote fob which is pretty small and light as well it gives phenomenal range plus some useful features. for an example,. When outside temp. is very cold I can program to
start the engine every so many hours and make it run for xx minutes and shut down. Don't need to plug in block heater. Or can make the engine start at certain time.
Old 10-18-17, 05:59 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Have you installed new RF kit(antenna kit) with it?
Nope. Range is a few hundred feet I guess. I can be coming out of Walmart and as soon as I exit, I hit the start and it works. I don't need to be right near the car.
Old 10-18-17, 06:21 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Nope. Range is a few hundred feet I guess. I can be coming out of Walmart and as soon as I exit, I hit the start and it works. I don't need to be right near the car.
That sounds OK. For me, I start the engine when mass is just about ending inside the church. Being 2 way remote I get visual confirmation. In case car does not start
on first try, it'll try 2 more times. Having a 2 way remote is very good. When command is carried out blue LED, when failed red LED flashes as a return signal. Now
we can install a kit for Bimmers too. It just costs more than for other cars. Installing one on M2 cost little over 1G by DIY.

Quick Reply: LS remote start install DIY