LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS remote start install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-18, 08:32 AM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsherv
I eventually paid 99 bucks to the installer at BestBuy.
How did you get such a great install price at Best Buy? I'm really interested in ordering the DBall 3 from Toby and getting it professionally installed but I'd really like to keep my total costs at $150-200. Not interested in paying for a subscription service at this time. Any suggestions for the $99 service rate to ask for at Best Buy, as the prices I've been quoted for installation only is over $200.
Old 12-26-18, 09:27 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

The guy at the eBay link previously provided does not flash the modules anymore since directed changed their business model. You have to be an authorized dealer now to get any help or tech support for the Dball. I wanted to get a long range kit so I can get more distance so I purchased an XL202 and python antenna but could not get it to work.

I'm considering taking the Dball out and installing an Evo module and pair it with one of their RF kits. I already have their flash link update since I just installed one on the GS. The range in the LS factory remote is really abysmal.
Old 12-26-18, 01:42 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

First off I would honestly try to DIY with the new instructions Toby sends. It is what I asked the Best Buy installer to use. He could tell the instructions were from an installer who had taken the time to make it specific to my year and model. The installer said he could tell what I had tried and it was exactly what he did which was exactly what the instructions said.

BB had a basic price for $99 for the Remore Start systems. He says he does a lot of Dball installs They tend to include it for free on all their deals they have for their remote start units. I brought the installer the smart card and the DBall attached (following Toby’s instructions) hoping he would not charge me separate costs. If you don’t want the smart card just call a BB or another shop and tell them, “I have a DBall 3 already flashed for my car and need it installed. “ Speak to the actual tech.

In in the end the guy said the only difference that he did was to sodder the wires together instead of using T-taps. That is what Toby suggested/recommended in the first place but I didn’t own a soldering iron. I was the first and only person to ever have an issue with trying it DIY so don’t let me be the reason you don’t try. Good luck!

Originally Posted by Mbbarron
How did you get such a great install price at Best Buy? I'm really interested in ordering the DBall 3 from Toby and getting it professionally installed but I'd really like to keep my total costs at $150-200. Not interested in paying for a subscription service at this time. Any suggestions for the $99 service rate to ask for at Best Buy, as the prices I've been quoted for installation only is over $200.
Old 12-28-18, 06:02 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

NEVER USE T-TAPS!!! they make **** poor connections. not too mention dball2 or db3's use data signals to start the car.. millions of bits of code going thru a crappy connection point can an will only cause problems. if u don't own a soldering iron then use a "military splice" strip back the wire to be tappeds sheathing 1/4" then with a pick tool or test light split the wire like the eye of a needle.. then thread the db3 wire thru an wrap it around.. pulling tightly then wrap the connection point with electrical tape for added reliability add a wire tie atop the connection.. fyi at my last Viper training the tech leading the training prefers this method as he says solder also adds resistance to the wire causing "anomalies" with data transfer..
Old 12-29-18, 09:42 AM
macjac69
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the flashed D-ball units going for price wise now?
Old 01-10-19, 09:30 PM
Majkmil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
NEVER USE T-TAPS!!! they make **** poor connections. not too mention dball2 or db3's use data signals to start the car.. millions of bits of code going thru a crappy connection point can an will only cause problems. if u don't own a soldering iron then use a "military splice" strip back the wire to be tappeds sheathing 1/4" then with a pick tool or test light split the wire like the eye of a needle.. then thread the db3 wire thru an wrap it around.. pulling tightly then wrap the connection point with electrical tape for added reliability add a wire tie atop the connection.. fyi at my last Viper training the tech leading the training prefers this method as he says solder also adds resistance to the wire causing "anomalies" with data transfer..
Hi and thanks but how do you strip the sheathing without damaging these small wires?
Old 01-16-19, 12:16 PM
icon901
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsherv
First off I would honestly try to DIY with the new instructions Toby sends. It is what I asked the Best Buy installer to use. He could tell the instructions were from an installer who had taken the time to make it specific to my year and model. The installer said he could tell what I had tried and it was exactly what he did which was exactly what the instructions said.

BB had a basic price for $99 for the Remore Start systems. He says he does a lot of Dball installs They tend to include it for free on all their deals they have for their remote start units. I brought the installer the smart card and the DBall attached (following Toby’s instructions) hoping he would not charge me separate costs. If you don’t want the smart card just call a BB or another shop and tell them, “I have a DBall 3 already flashed for my car and need it installed. “ Speak to the actual tech.

In in the end the guy said the only difference that he did was to sodder the wires together instead of using T-taps. That is what Toby suggested/recommended in the first place but I didn’t own a soldering iron. I was the first and only person to ever have an issue with trying it DIY so don’t let me be the reason you don’t try. Good luck!

Good info here. I never got any instructions with my Dball 3 from Toby (08 LS) but I'm sure it was just an oversight and he'll email the PDF. While I'm SOMEWHAT confident with my solder/wiring skills, I'd just as soon pay a pro $75-100 to knock it out.
Old 02-21-19, 08:59 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by macjac69
What are the flashed D-ball units going for price wise now?
Anyone seen Toby lately? I need a Daball setup.
Old 02-22-19, 06:42 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Here. Google is a magical tool

http://www.broadfieldcustoms.com/
Old 05-01-19, 06:24 AM
JPauwels
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm looking to install a remote start in my car and I've read through this entire thread, so I'm aware that Directed has changed their licensing and will no longer allow you to flash the dball unless you're a licensed installer. So, I'm looking at getting one that's already flashed. I found this item on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DIRECTED-XPRESSKIT-DBALL3-BYPASS-DOOR-LOCK/223045859985?epid=4004800326&hash=item33ee91ba91:geQAAOSwArxbRNTB

Does it look like this item includes everything that I would need to install and have the remote start work with the oem keyfob? It says it's pre-flashed and ready to install.
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (05-02-19)
Old 05-01-19, 12:00 PM
Mbbarron
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JPauwels
I'm looking to install a remote start in my car and I've read through this entire thread, so I'm aware that Directed has changed their licensing and will no longer allow you to flash the dball unless you're a licensed installer. So, I'm looking at getting one that's already flashed. I found this item on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DIRECTED-XPRESSKIT-DBALL3-BYPASS-DOOR-LOCK/223045859985?epid=4004800326&hash=item33ee91ba91:geQAAOSwArxbRNTB

Does it look like this item includes everything that I would need to install and have the remote start work with the oem keyfob? It says it's pre-flashed and ready to install.
Following... as I would like to do the same thing and I am looking for the lowest cost option with a professional install.
Old 05-02-19, 07:31 AM
JPauwels
Driver School Candidate

Just an update on this. I contacted the seller and they said it does have to be programmed by a professional installer, so I'm assuming that means a licensed Directed installer. That's disappointing that Directed requires that.
Old 05-03-19, 01:27 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

Just an update on this. I contacted the seller and they said it does have to be programmed by a professional installer, so I'm assuming that means a licensed Directed installer. That's disappointing that Directed requires that.
why don’t you scroll up and contact broadfield customs I think the guy programs and ships them out
Old 05-03-19, 04:32 AM
JPauwels
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jdanielca
why don’t you scroll up and contact broadfield customs I think the guy programs and ships them out
For some reason, I thought he wasn't doing it anymore, but I reread the thread above and I'm not seeing that, so I must have read it wrong before. I'll contact him. Thanks.
Old 05-03-19, 09:05 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

For some reason, I thought he wasn't doing it anymore, but I reread the thread above and I'm not seeing that, so I must have read it wrong before. I'll contact him. Thanks.
no problem 👍🏻 Good luck let us know how it goes

Quick Reply: LS remote start install DIY