LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Vibration depending on how many passengers/speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-14, 12:05 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Put your stocks on and take it in to dealer to avoid any bs
This is the best advice.
Old 05-08-14, 03:11 PM
Pkp1903
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I throw my stocks on and I have no issue when driving it then, I can pretty much narrow it down to the wheels or tires, right? Which I'm pretty sure it is one of the two. I had it Hunter Road Force balanced today, though not at the dealership. It was one last futile attemp to not have to throw my stocks back on. Once the computer showed perfect and it was spinning you could see an ever so slight bump/wobble as it turned.
Old 05-08-14, 03:42 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Pkp1903
So if I throw my stocks on and I have no issue when driving it then, I can pretty much narrow it down to the wheels or tires, right? Which I'm pretty sure it is one of the two. I had it Hunter Road Force balanced today, though not at the dealership. It was one last futile attemp to not have to throw my stocks back on. Once the computer showed perfect and it was spinning you could see an ever so slight bump/wobble as it turned.
You could easily have a bent wheel which will have the symptoms you mentioned..but have the stocks on so they can rule out everything besides the 22 wheels/tires
Old 05-09-14, 06:04 AM
Pkp1903
Driver School Candidate

If I do have a bent wheel, can the tire be removed for wheel repair and then remounted? I know removing it will stretch it, but they are brand new tires.
Old 05-09-14, 06:46 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Yes, that's what all these wheel refinishing/refurbishing shops do. It's amazing what they can repair. Just make sure they do it properly - radial runout, lateral runout, balancing and airtight. Will likely cost about $200-$250 to get it done properly.
Old 05-27-14, 08:52 AM
Pkp1903
Driver School Candidate

Well I got the wheels removed and my stocks put back on and once again, the car drives buttery smooth at all speeds. This clearly points to the wheels or tires. My issue was I had just purchased these and with no big bumps, potholes and so forth irritates me as it should. The road force machine said everything looked fine, but that's clearly not the case. One way or another, the vendor is sending me 2 new wheels. Hopefully I can still have the current ones repaired and then have a few extra wheels in case I ever need them.
Old 05-27-14, 09:08 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Sounds like a good outcome. Update when you get the new wheels on.
Old 05-27-14, 11:08 AM
triniexr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for jacking this thread but when you put your 22" wheels on can you disable the traction control? I can turn it off at a dead stop but as soon as I hit 20 km/h it turns itself back on.
Old 05-27-14, 11:21 AM
Persocon
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

does this vehicle have the updated transmission software?

more passengers = more load, more load = engine working harder but not enough to downshift, AWD has more moving parts so less power gets transferred through it and has more weight to start with (more vehicle curb weight to accelerate), hence why many AWD vehicle owners felt vibration on slight incline because vehicle encounters more load, BUT not enough to downshift, therefore engine RPM is too low for current conditions and vibrates.

This is the result of them using the same shift points as RWD vehicles, without taking into consideration of other aspects.
Old 05-27-14, 01:03 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Persocon
does this vehicle have the updated transmission software?

more passengers = more load, more load = engine working harder but not enough to downshift, AWD has more moving parts so less power gets transferred through it and has more weight to start with (more vehicle curb weight to accelerate), hence why many AWD vehicle owners felt vibration on slight incline because vehicle encounters more load, BUT not enough to downshift, therefore engine RPM is too low for current conditions and vibrates.

This is the result of them using the same shift points as RWD vehicles, without taking into consideration of other aspects.
I was starting to suspect the same as you until the OP said the problem went away with another set of wheels.

Just as an FYI here is the transmission software TSB
Attached Files
Old 05-27-14, 03:57 PM
Persocon
Driver

to OP, did you try to replicate the same conditions with the other set of wheels on the same road, with the same passengers?
It's up to you to get that gearbox TSB just to be safe.
Old 05-27-14, 06:01 PM
Pkp1903
Driver School Candidate

to OP, did you try to replicate the same conditions with the other set of wheels on the same road, with the same passengers?
It's up to you to get that gearbox TSB just to be safe.

I sure did and no issues. The more this went on the more it was just vibration period as speed increased, passengers made no difference. Vibrated whether I was on the throttle or not as well. It has got to be the tires or even more probable bent wheel.
Old 05-28-14, 01:32 AM
Persocon
Driver

oh I see, yea with it being directly correlated to increase of speed, it's def tires/wheels,

Are the wheels hub-centrically centered? if not, you can try using hub centric spacers for those problemed wheels.
Old 05-28-14, 08:00 AM
Pkp1903
Driver School Candidate

oh I see, yea with it being directly correlated to increase of speed, it's def tires/wheels,

Are the wheels hub-centrically centered? if not, you can try using hub centric spacers for those problemed wheels.
The wheels came with hub rings that were installed on all 4 wheels. Is there something else I'm missing? Is the spacer something different?
Old 05-28-14, 12:22 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Pkp1903
The wheels came with hub rings that were installed on all 4 wheels. Is there something else I'm missing? Is the spacer something different?
Tires might be out of round, need to road forced or maybe you do have a bent wheel. With 22's you defiantly want them to be road forced and balanced by a place that deals with plus sizes wheels daily, it's an art to it and not all tire shops have someone who knows how to do it right. Once you have spun up they can tell you if the wheel/s are bent, also look into high speed balancing if available in your area.

Quick Reply: Vibration depending on how many passengers/speed