LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 Carista App Review - Ability To Change Lexus Personalized Settings

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-14, 03:12 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I may be missing something but .... Why wouldn't you just get the dealer to do it ? Costs nothing and you almost never want to change the settings once the are set the way you want them .. My dealer is very happy to adjust them anytime I want
Old 08-09-14, 03:35 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FreddyG
Please pardon my ignorance, but can I buy and use this app on my android tablet if I buy the OBDII dongle/plug-in thingie? Does the dongle provide allow the tablet to speak to the port?

What would I have to buy to do this?

Thanks
Hi, sorry about the late reply - I hadn't seen this. Yes, you can definitely buy and use Carista on any Android tablet, as long as it has Google Play Store. You'll need an Internet connection in order to purchase the Pro Package inside the app, which gets offered the first time you try to change a setting. In other words, it happens when you're in the car. There are some ways to get around that if it's a problem, so let me know if you want more info on that.

Last edited by Carista; 08-09-14 at 04:16 AM.
Old 08-09-14, 03:46 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by david mack
I may be missing something but .... Why wouldn't you just get the dealer to do it ? Costs nothing and you almost never want to change the settings once the are set the way you want them .. My dealer is very happy to adjust them anytime I want
Well, some dealers are less willing to do work for free than others (most offer just a 1-time free setting service after you buy a brand-new car from them), and plus, you gotta consider the time and effort it takes you to get to the dealer, explain exactly what settings you want, etc. Furthermore, they never give you a full list of the available settings - they usually print out the pdf with the official LPS... whereas there are about 3 times more settings that these cars actually support (and Carista can change most of them). I mean, the dealer can change them too, but they just don't offer them in a list, so you gotta know exactly what to ask for, and even then, they may not agree to do it.

Anyways, I'm obviously biased, but I do think for most people the price we charge is well worth it in order to have the ability to adjust these settings whenever and wherever you want, however many times you want.

I actually got feedback from a Lexus dealer that they use Carista internally to change customers' settings because their professional dealer software + hardware is too cumbersome and time-consuming to use... LOL If that's not a technical endorsement for Carista, I don't know what is

Last edited by Carista; 08-09-14 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-09-14, 04:50 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

And how much is it please
Old 08-09-14, 05:48 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by david mack
And how much is it please
It's currently $19.99 for the app (unlimited use) and about $10 for the Bluetooth dongle if you don't already have it (it's a generic Bluetooth OBD device, not specific to our app; we have some links to Amazon on our site).
Old 08-10-14, 03:45 AM
enjo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used it to set some preferences and it worked quite well. Also used it to sort out a glitching front passenger window lift. (linked me to a pdf file that helped sort it) Thought I'd be able to see more preferences though. I liked the email me feature. In all, not bad at all.
Old 09-09-14, 03:38 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

For those who wanted the seat belt chime settings: they're now available in our beta version (soon to be released officially).

Also, to pick up an earlier topic from this thread, if any of you have suggestions on how to word some of the less obvious settings, I'm all ears (or if there are settings that you have no idea what they are, again, let me know). We're wrapping up development on version 2.2, so now is the time to make those changes.
Old 09-09-14, 04:21 PM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Why can't I set the DRL on my Swits sold 2008 LS 600hL ?

It's something i miss to have here in Norway...but the dealer tells me that it does not have that function to set automatic DRL for the factory as an option ?
Can this then be set with the Carista app ??

Arvid
Old 09-10-14, 04:50 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Arvid
It's something i miss to have here in Norway...but the dealer tells me that it does not have that function to set automatic DRL for the factory as an option ?

Arvid
It depends on which settings the car exposes - the DRL setting usually depends on the market in which the car was sold. I cannot say for sure before seeing data from the car. But if you have the ELM327 device, you can connect with Carista and see what settings are available BEFORE paying anything for Carista. You only have to pay if you want to be able to CHANGE settings.

ELM327 devices are cheap, so you may as well get one. The LS exposes so many other settings that I'm sure you'll find something that interests you, even if your particular car doesn't offer the DRL setting.
Old 09-10-14, 06:12 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

When will you have an app for my ipad or my Windows 7or 8 machines? I do not have an android device and would just as soon not buy one just for this.

Dennis
Old 09-10-14, 06:44 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Arvid
I'm willing to bet that your country's laws does not allow adjustment of the DRL's - just like here in Canada. However, as stated by Carista, there are so many other great aspects to the app and dongle, including inexpensive access to OBD trouble codes (SES lights).
Old 09-11-14, 10:53 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
When will you have an app for my ipad or my Windows 7or 8 machines? I do not have an android device and would just as soon not buy one just for this.

Dennis
Our iOS version got deprioritized a bit, but we're about to start working on it full-steam within a couple of weeks. It'll take at least a few months to build it.

No plans for a desktop version for now (Windows 7/8).
Old 09-11-14, 01:06 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

Ok thanks

Let is know when the iOS version is ready.

Dennis
Old 09-11-14, 04:08 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Given that the Scandinavian countries first adopted DRLs, I doubt that market has the option to turn them off.

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Let is know when the iOS version is ready.
+1
Old 09-11-14, 06:00 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

For the money it's much better to get Techstream. No limitations besides ecu firmware upgrades and I would not want to do that anyway. You can program any options on any Toyota, Lexus, Scion vehicle from 1996 - 2014 plus program keys, read obd2 and abs codes, run test on the air suspension and check for potential failures, engine data logging, etc. So much more powerful. I prefer the real deal personally.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-11-14 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply: LS460 Carista App Review - Ability To Change Lexus Personalized Settings