LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Complete Detailing of my Obsidian LS with PICS

Old 03-13-14, 10:01 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Complete Detailing of my Obsidian LS with PICS

First off, if I am posting this in the wrong forum, please let me know or move it as you see fit.

I spent an entire day detailing my Obsidian LS which as you know, is a full time job with this color. BUT... OMG does it look good! Well, at least for the next few days, LOL.

First step was a wash with this:

I used the two bucket system which minimizes swirl marks and scratches. I used a microfiber wash mitt (Simoniz).

Next up was to dry with the Meguiars Water Magnet which is a waffle weave cloth. Easily soaked up all the water on my car without a wring-out.

Then, I did a claybar of the paint with this:

I used Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer for the lubricant.

The finish was silky smooth and clean afterwards, so all that was needed to do now was to start applying the finishes, starting with a thorough conditioning of the paint with Meguiars Ultimate Compound:

I used a conservative pad with my Porter Cable DA polisher. A black Lake Country pad which turned out to be a perfect combination with the Compound. After doing this part of the treatment, the swirl marks and spider webbing were completely gone!

After removing the compound with a microfiber towel, the next step was to replace the black pad with a gold pad and begin the polishing. I used this:

Again, I removed the haze with a microfiber towel and the paint was really looking good now.

The last step was to go ahead and apply a hand applied coat of Mothers California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba wax:

This stuff is a joy to use. I applied it with a microfiber applicator pad and wiped off again with microfiber towels. I did several coats. Just massged into the surface and buffed out. It goes on sooo smoothly and removes just as easily. I love this stuff. Very highly rated as well.

The results of this laborious task are below. I added pics of my caliper painting and decals as well.

First thing was to add the "Lexus" decals to my calipers. I actually did these last month, but finally got the pics posted. I also replaced my front rotors as they were warped. First pic is the front and second is the rear:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Some criticized my choice of caliper color, but so far everyone in person who sees them think they look amazing behind the black rims. Ties in the red taillights. Not everyone's taste here at CL, but definitely mine.

The rest of the pics are the result of a long day of detailing:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Believe it or not, This last pic is me taking a pic into the fender. The depth of gloss is outstanding and soooo reflective!

[IMG][/IMG]

My plan of attack now is to just keep applying a coat of the Carnauba every month or two and then strip all down next spring for a redo. Depends what happens with the Klasse products I ordered.

Last edited by roadfrog; 03-13-14 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-13-14, 10:39 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Your ride looks great, I am planning on a similar treatment once I get a break in the weather. Car got really beat up this winter.

I usually use the megs compound and polish. I am going to try a product from CG this time as it appears to do both in one step. I will then seal before waxing.

You may want to give the Blackfire Wet Diamond sealer a shot, it really enhances the depth of the shine.
Old 03-13-14, 11:32 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 96 Posts

The LS looks great! Your long day of work (if you want to call it that) really paid off. Are those decals from ebay? I did the calipers on my GS400, but have not had a chance yet on the LS. It looks like you did good work on the caliper paint.
Old 03-13-14, 11:45 AM
Mitty
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please explain the two bucket system.
Old 03-13-14, 12:02 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitty
Please explain the two bucket system.
Here http://bit.ly/1qA2xyb
Old 03-13-14, 12:43 PM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have found Autogeek.net to be a great resource for learning about detailing. Like CL there are plenty of active members who are willing to share their experiences and insights. It is not just a products for sale site.
Old 03-13-14, 12:46 PM
avmiii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to consider the opticoat finish. It's an alternative to a final glaze and much thicker and thus more protection than normal glazes. Its available as a DIY, and also as a pro version sold only to detailers. Just google it and you will find a wealth of information. I'm thinking of using it, as I'm just too lazy to detail as often as glazes require.
Old 03-13-14, 01:47 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

nothing like a fresh obsidian
Old 03-13-14, 02:14 PM
scottkroug
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great ..Frog!
Old 03-13-14, 02:29 PM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
nothing like a fresh obsidian
^^What CJITTY said^^ I couldn't agree more.
Old 03-13-14, 04:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Looks great buddy. HAve you ever tried Zaino products. Amazing stuff. That Meguiars worked very well though
Old 03-13-14, 05:40 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks all!

I actually ordered Klasse AIO and Klasse SG, but the order was delayed and I just couldn't wait to get started! SO, the Klasse may have to wait until later this Summer. Or even next year if this system holds up. I can't imagine it being any better than this. I just LOVE the Pure Carnauba. It's so easy to apply, that I don't mind throwing on another coat every few weeks. The more you put on, the better the glow.
Old 03-14-14, 05:42 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

The car looks fabulous, nice job! Though you missed that swirl mark on the driver's door ......

...... just kidding .

Here is one tip I learned when using a clay bar, pour a capful of car wash liquid in a spray bottle and add water as a lubricant. It's much cheaper than detail spray, and you have to wash the car again anyway.
Old 03-14-14, 07:27 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
The car looks fabulous, nice job! Though you missed that swirl mark on the driver's door ......

...... just kidding .

Here is one tip I learned when using a clay bar, pour a capful of car wash liquid in a spray bottle and add water as a lubricant. It's much cheaper than detail spray, and you have to wash the car again anyway.
What I WAS going to do was clay bar AS I wash with the bucket of suds as the lube, which also keeps the claybar safe and clean in the bucket as you go. I settled with the way I've always done it and did not wash the car again after the clay, as I was applying a compound and a polish after anyway.

Your way is good too .....there's always more than one way to skin a cat!

On another note, it has decided to **** down rain all night and continues this morning......Mother Nature mocking my hard efforts!

But WOW, is that water ever beading nicely!
Old 03-14-14, 10:30 AM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good, so fresh, so clean!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Complete Detailing of my Obsidian LS with PICS