Notices
LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aero Stabilizing Fins Wind Noise Fix DIY w pics

 
Old 08-13-18, 09:43 PM
  #46  
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
 
roadfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 5,314
Liked 299 Times in 241 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jdanielca View Post
btw how can you tell if you had laminated windows or not?
Since all vehicles in general for the last 40 years have laminated windows, I'm assuming you meant "acoustic windows"? Acoustic (sound deadening) windows will say something like "sound screen", "sound master" etc, or a picture of an ear with an arrow wrapped around it
roadfrog is offline  
Old 08-13-18, 10:10 PM
  #47  
jdanielca
Lexus Test Driver
 
jdanielca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Lviv, Ukraine
Posts: 1,005
Liked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by roadfrog View Post
Since all vehicles in general for the last 40 years have laminated windows, I'm assuming you meant "acoustic windows"? Acoustic (sound deadening) windows will say something like "sound screen", "sound master" etc, or a picture of an ear with an arrow wrapped around it
Did our cars come with that at any point? Btw i was referring to side windows and from another thread some 2007s did not come with laminated side windows and that was fixed only if requested at a dealer... don't ask me about that I have no idea.. I just confirmed yesterday that I had laminated all around.
jdanielca is online now  
Old 08-20-18, 07:08 AM
  #48  
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic
Thread Starter
 
roadfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 5,314
Liked 299 Times in 241 Posts
Default

don't ask me about that I have no idea.. I just confirmed yesterday that I had laminated all around.
Yes....as I already mentioned, ALL cars have "laminated" glass. I was referring to Acoustic. Our cars DID come with acoustic glass in the windshield, and in some cases (as you mention), side windows if you approached the dealer.
roadfrog is offline  
Old 08-20-18, 09:36 AM
  #49  
jdanielca
Lexus Test Driver
 
jdanielca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Lviv, Ukraine
Posts: 1,005
Liked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by roadfrog View Post
Yes....as I already mentioned, ALL cars have "laminated" glass. I was referring to Acoustic. Our cars DID come with acoustic glass in the windshield, and in some cases (as you mention), side windows if you approached the dealer.
well how do you tell if you have acoustic glass.. ah i re-read the above I will go have a look later
jdanielca is online now  
Old 08-20-18, 12:52 PM
  #50  
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW17LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 26,407
Liked 611 Times in 508 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by roadfrog View Post
Yes....as I already mentioned, ALL cars have "laminated" glass. I was referring to Acoustic. Our cars DID come with acoustic glass in the windshield, and in some cases (as you mention), side windows if you approached the dealer.
Actually not the case. Most cars have tempered side glass, not laminated side glass. Laminated side glass is "double paned glass". So SWB LS460s from 08-17 have laminated (double paned) front glass, and tempered rear glass. All windshields are laminated, but not all are acoustic. All LWB cars have laminated side glass in the front and the rear.
SW17LS is offline  
Old 08-20-18, 01:00 PM
  #51  
jdanielca
Lexus Test Driver
 
jdanielca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Lviv, Ukraine
Posts: 1,005
Liked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
Actually not the case. Most cars have tempered side glass, not laminated side glass. Laminated side glass is "double paned glass". So SWB LS460s from 08-17 have laminated (double paned) front glass, and tempered rear glass. All windshields are laminated, but not all are acoustic. All LWB cars have laminated side glass in the front and the rear.
so is he right in saying that laminated is not acoustic? and is acoustic better than laminated?
jdanielca is online now  
Old 08-20-18, 01:03 PM
  #52  
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW17LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 26,407
Liked 611 Times in 508 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jdanielca View Post
so is he right in saying that laminated is not acoustic? and is acoustic better than laminated?
All laminated glass is not acoustic. Ive never heard of side windows being referred to as "acoustic", only windshields. I believe all acoustic glass is laminated.

"Acoustic" would be better, yes.
SW17LS is offline  
Old 08-20-18, 02:03 PM
  #53  
jdanielca
Lexus Test Driver
 
jdanielca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Lviv, Ukraine
Posts: 1,005
Liked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
All laminated glass is not acoustic. Ive never heard of side windows being referred to as "acoustic", only windshields. I believe all acoustic glass is laminated.

"Acoustic" would be better, yes.
you made me laugh a little bit... "All laminated glass is not acoustic" and then "I believe all acoustic glass is laminated." ... did you mean to say: Not all laminated glass is acoustic?.. then your second statement would make more sense.

It is dark now but I will go look in the morning to see if i see any tell tale words or ears
jdanielca is online now  
Old 08-20-18, 02:05 PM
  #54  
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW17LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 26,407
Liked 611 Times in 508 Posts
Default

It all means the same thing lol
SW17LS is offline  
Old 08-20-18, 02:12 PM
  #55  
jdanielca
Lexus Test Driver
 
jdanielca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Lviv, Ukraine
Posts: 1,005
Liked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
It all means the same thing lol
Since you been teaching me so much I shall teach you something today.... NO it does not hahaha but honest mistake I type fast too... sometimes.. I will post back tomorrow once I investigate
jdanielca is online now  
Old 08-20-18, 02:29 PM
  #56  
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW17LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 26,407
Liked 611 Times in 508 Posts
Default

"All laminated glass is not acoustic" may be poor grammar, but it means the same thing as "not all laminated glass is acoustic"

All acoustic glass is laminated, meaning you won't find tempered or sheet glass that is acoustic.
SW17LS is offline  
Old 08-21-18, 07:02 AM
  #57  
riknchar
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 1,010
Liked 77 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SW17LS View Post
"All laminated glass is not acoustic" may be poor grammar, but it means the same thing as "not all laminated glass is acoustic"

All acoustic glass is laminated, meaning you won't find tempered or sheet glass that is acoustic.
Seems like our forum has taken a strange turn into a 10th grade English class ;-)

Going to have to agree, though, that the two sentences are not the same. It's like saying "All white people aren't smart" vs "Not all white people are smart..." See the difference? (I say this as a white person who is decidedly not smart).

Hope I didn't just turn this forum towards politics ;-)
riknchar is offline  
Old 08-21-18, 08:19 AM
  #58  
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic
 
SW17LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD
Posts: 26,407
Liked 611 Times in 508 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by riknchar View Post
Seems like our forum has taken a strange turn into a 10th grade English class ;-)
Apparently lol

Going to have to agree, though, that the two sentences are not the same. It's like saying "All white people aren't smart" vs "Not all white people are smart..." See the difference? (I say this as a white person who is decidedly not smart).
I see what you're saying, whats missing is the inflection which doesn't come across when the sentence is typed...
SW17LS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aero Stabilizing Fins Wind Noise Fix DIY w pics


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: