LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Garage door opener distance

Old 02-06-14, 08:01 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayh78
Do you happen to know which brand? I would like to try them if you don't mind checking.

I am sure that my LED bulbs were my problem. Could it be different with different openers or brand bulbs?

Philips 60w equivalents in the opener and all over my home.
I didn't know LEDs can cause a problem.I had CFL bulbs before without any problems too.

Old 02-06-14, 08:05 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

A good way to determine if your lights are desensitizing your garage door opener receiver is to try operating the door at a distance, with the lights on, and the lights off.

Try this. With the control, car HomeLink or handheld, at a distance of 100 ft, try operating the door when you are certain that the lights are off. If the door operates, the lights will come on. Then try operating the door, from the same position, while the lights are on. If the door operates from a distance when the lights are off and will not operate from the same distance when the lights are on then the lights are probably generating Radio Frequency Interference that interferes with the garage door receiver. There are likely some models of LED bulbs that will not interfere with the garage door openers.
Old 02-06-14, 10:23 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
A good way to determine if your lights are desensitizing your garage door opener receiver is to try operating the door at a distance, with the lights on, and the lights off.

Try this. With the control, car HomeLink or handheld, at a distance of 100 ft, try operating the door when you are certain that the lights are off. If the door operates, the lights will come on. Then try operating the door, from the same position, while the lights are on. If the door operates from a distance when the lights are off and will not operate from the same distance when the lights are on then the lights are probably generating Radio Frequency Interference that interferes with the garage door receiver. There are likely some models of LED bulbs that will not interfere with the garage door openers.
That is what I did. Remotes would only work with the LED bulb off. I called Chamberlin and they seem to agree with with I find with goggle. Don't use LEDs or CFls in a garage door opener or you are taking a chance it may cause damage to the circuit board.
I should also mention I was also using Dimmiable LED bubs.
Old 09-28-16, 09:11 AM
gjesdahl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Homelink and Keyless entry questions

#1 I have three Lexus...a 1999 RX, a 2013 RX and a 2015 GX. In the 1999 and 2015 models, can touch the homelink button and garage door opens 3-4 houses away. In the 2013, need to be right in front of garage door in order for door to open. Recently, the button didn't work at all. Any clue why just one vehicle would have this issue?

#2 In my 2013 RX I occasionally get a message that I need to change the battery in my keyless entry device. I have done so, and keep getting the message. Not all of the time, about every 10 uses. Any idea???

Thank you to all! Sara
Old 09-28-16, 05:28 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by gjesdahl
#1 I have three Lexus...a 1999 RX, a 2013 RX and a 2015 GX. In the 1999 and 2015 models, can touch the homelink button and garage door opens 3-4 houses away. In the 2013, need to be right in front of garage door in order for door to open. Recently, the button didn't work at all. Any clue why just one vehicle would have this issue?

#2 In my 2013 RX I occasionally get a message that I need to change the battery in my keyless entry device. I have done so, and keep getting the message. Not all of the time, about every 10 uses. Any idea???

Thank you to all! Sara
Sara, Thank you for giving us the opportunity to help you. I am confident that several of our members can give you some good suggestions for solving the garage door opener issue. But, I think it would be best for you to contact HomeLink technical support and let them help you. You can contact them via the Internet at: http://homelink.com/contact/vehicle or via telephone at: 1-800-355-3515. You may have to be persistent with them but I know they will be able to help you. If that doesn't get you the help that you need please come back to us.

As for the low battery warning from the wireless key: that comes from the wireless key and indicates the battery in the wireless key is low, as opposed to something in the car, so I wouldn't think there is anything wrong with your car. It may be that the wireless key battery is indeed low, or the wireless key may be defective. If the battery is low, that may be the result of battery age or battery defect and would be fixed by replacing the battery with a fresh one. If the battery is only good for a few days or weeks then perhaps the wireless key is defective and is depleting the battery, If you have two wireless keys then you should put fresh batteries in both and then use only one of them until you see the low battery warning, and then switch to the other wireless key and see if you get the low battery warning. If you only have one wireless key then you would want someone to test the battery to see if it is bad. That can be done with a voltmeter and a SOC table that is readily available on the Internet.

Last edited by jmcraney; 09-29-16 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-30-16, 07:29 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the exact same problem with my 2013 LS sport model. Most of the time have to be within a car length from the door and once in a while will not work at all.
Not much help from dealer.

Post back if you find anything