LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

07 LS460 Upper & Lower control arm bushings replacement

Old 03-03-15, 12:41 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I replaced my front lower control arms (and the rest of the front arms), I also recall the car sitting slightly higher than before. In a couple weeks it seemed to settle.

The light knocking sound could be the brake actuator starting to act up. You'll know if it is as it will happen more often over time. You may also start to get the "groan or squawk" type sound when you depress the brake after it has been applied fully.
Old 03-03-15, 12:54 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JMac1035
Great info on your posts! I have a 2011 LS460L, no air suspension. Just had my lowers replaced by the dealer under warranty, and now my front end is 1.5 inches higher. Took it back, thought maybe they put the wrong part on possibly. They said it's correct and that's just how it is.
Took the car to a different dealer, and they loosened/retightened the parts with the suspension in it's normal ride height. It seemed to help a little bit, but still looks kind of high to me.
I thought these parts might fix a noise problem that I hear whenever i step on the brakes. It's not a loud noise, but light knocking sound. I replaced pads/rotors as well, still didn't fix light knocking noise i hear when braking at slow speeds.
In trying to fix one problem, it seems like I have a new one now with the front ride height.
I'm open for any suggestions or feedback. I have brought up the brake actuator to their attention, but they say that "it is normal noises"....

Help !!!!!!

Thanks in advance everyone!
Jeff
I've noticed an increased ride height in the front as well after mine were replaced.

I thought it would settle down some, but it looks like I'll be taking it back in to have it checked.
Old 03-03-15, 03:25 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Great info on your posts! I have a 2011 LS460L, no air suspension. Just had my lowers replaced by the dealer under warranty, and now my front end is 1.5 inches higher. Took it back, thought maybe they put the wrong part on possibly. They said it's correct and that's just how it is.
Took the car to a different dealer, and they loosened/retightened the parts with the suspension in it's normal ride height. It seemed to help a little bit, but still looks kind of high to me.
I thought these parts might fix a noise problem that I hear whenever i step on the brakes. It's not a loud noise, but light knocking sound. I replaced pads/rotors as well, still didn't fix light knocking noise i hear when braking at slow speeds.
In trying to fix one problem, it seems like I have a new one now with the front ride height.
I'm open for any suggestions or feedback. I have brought up the brake actuator to their attention, but they say that "it is normal noises"....

Help !!!!!!

Jeff

New or re-bushed control arms need to be tightened with the suspension at normal ride height or the bushings will be twisted causing elevated ride height and much shorter bushing life. When I did mine, we used a transmission jack to compress the suspension before tightening things up. Even if you do this, there will be a slight increase in front ride height due to the new bushing in the lower control arm where the strut attaches. The rear strut also attaches to a control arm with a similar bushing. Over time, the rear looses some ride height, giving the car a little nose high attitude anyway. Since all the struts attach to the lower control arms well inboard of the wheels, small amounts of settling in these bushings makes a noticeable change in ride height.

My car has a light knocking noise that is definitely the brake servo. It's been this way at least the last 30k miles and isn't getting any louder so I'm not worried. It's very common on these cars.
Old 03-04-15, 06:25 AM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by robert1408
New or re-bushed control arms need to be tightened with the suspension at normal ride height or the bushings will be twisted causing elevated ride height and much shorter bushing life. When I did mine, we used a transmission jack to compress the suspension before tightening things up. Even if you do this, there will be a slight increase in front ride height due to the new bushing in the lower control arm where the strut attaches. The rear strut also attaches to a control arm with a similar bushing. Over time, the rear looses some ride height, giving the car a little nose high attitude anyway. Since all the struts attach to the lower control arms well inboard of the wheels, small amounts of settling in these bushings makes a noticeable change in ride height.
thank you for this info.
I will be taking my car back in very soon to have this done.
Old 03-05-15, 09:23 AM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Help !!!!!!

Jeff
Got the same response from the dealer....

the new bushings and control arms essentially bring the ride height back to where it was when the car was new. ugh.

I am not happy with the front end jacked up like this.
Old 03-05-15, 01:35 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrittmart
Got the same response from the dealer....

the new bushings and control arms essentially bring the ride height back to where it was when the car was new. ugh.

I am not happy with the front end jacked up like this.
You could level it by replacing the rear control arms. I'm not even going to price that out for mine. Or wait 10-15k miles and that front will settle at least some. Mine has.
Old 03-07-15, 11:35 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

New or re-bushed control arms need to be tightened with the suspension at normal ride height or the bushings will be twisted causing elevated ride height and much shorter bushing life
I'd ask the dealer to tighten the bushings with the car's weight on the wheels (not jacked up) for the above reason.
Old 01-25-16, 07:09 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

question for you all, How have the Febest bushings held up...My RX400h has worn bushings in the rear and I was toying with the idea of using the aftermarket ones....?
Old 03-09-16, 12:36 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the writeup Vvman. Decided on tackling this myself after being told that my arms were actually bad by another alignement shop. They wanted $600 for labor but since I have plenty of tools, a garage and patience, figured I'd set a weekend aside to handle this. Only difference was I replaced all 8. The 6 you have posted came off as you said but the 2 lower rears were a challenge since I have air suspension and the shock kept filling with air back into place. Had to basically raise the suspension, strap down the shock and them lower it again so the shock can come down with it. Also removing the joint from the brake rotor carrier took more than just a hammer. Had to use a ball joint remover plus a hammer. Either way, job was complete in around 8 hours with no air tool, no lift, plenty of iced tea brakes and lunch. Figured I spent a day doing it but saved $600. I feel it was well worth it. Then took the car back for alignment and now it rides like when I first bought it. Silver Sable hasnt been this smooth in years.

Price has dropped in the last few weeks.

BTW, arms came from ebay for a total cost of $551 shipped for the whole set. Links posted below.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-LS460-...1TITxh&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-BRAND-N...RWxT6W&vxp=mtr
The following users liked this post:
diamente (06-23-18)
Old 03-17-16, 01:47 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

does the 07 and 08 only suffer this issue or does 09 too?
Old 03-18-16, 08:13 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 225 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by yoitskenn
does the 07 and 08 only suffer this issue or does 09 too?
From reading all the reports on this forum, it seems the consensus is that the front control arm problems persisted until the 2012 model year, so to answer your question, yes, the 2009 could have the same issue as the 2007-2008 model years.
Old 05-01-16, 02:52 PM
murphyinaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2007 Lexus Ls460L control arm replacement

Hey everyone,
Was told like many of your my upper/lower control arms on my 07 Ls460L with air suspension needed replacement....to the tune of 3k..by my independent mechanic,,,,obviously more from the dealer. My question is this...for those of you that have had this work performed by and independent mechanic what is a reasonable cost for the labor if I provide the parts? I have read some of you indicating it was a full day job for someone with tools and generally mechanically inclined....but even at $100 an hour at a labor cost of $2500 from my mechanic ( i am rounding shop rate to make the math easy as this is just an esimate) that is 25 hours of labor for the repair and that seems excessive. Thoughts? Anyone in the Phoenix Area have a suspension shop they have used for this?
UPDATE: Based upon other CL members experiences I went ahead and purchased the upper and lower control arms with pre-installed bushings through ebay...$152 for uppers (4) seller name: sochi98 and $386 for the lowers (4) seller name: buyautoparts. I found a local shop that quoted me $850 for all labor so if everything goes correctly I should be at $1388 all in. Much cheaper than dealer repair or my own mechanic bid. I will update again after work is completed to share my experience.

Update: New aftermarket upper and lower control arms now installed. I now have a new issue. The repair shop could not get the car to align properly so they ended up taking it to a local Lexus dealer and even then the car now has a slight pull left. Apparently the aftermarket control arms are vary slightly from the oems and this is why the car doesn't align perfectly. I am being told I need something called caster plates to remedy the situation (to the tune of $700 for parts and labor). The pull is only noticeable driving at highway speeds and it is pretty subtle, I am at least as concerned that I will end up burning through my new Michelin Tires if this thing doesn't drive straight....Even with the additional repair costs I would be well under original bid of 3k....likely about $2200 after caster install and new alignment....but the aggravation continues....thoughts? advise? not sure how to proceed

Last edited by murphyinaz; 05-11-16 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 05-01-16, 08:52 PM
Nospinzone

Received 405 Likes on 313 Posts

Twenty five hours of labor definitely seems excessive.

You might want to post in the Southwest Regional forum to get a referral of a shop in your area.
Old 05-02-16, 03:31 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Murphy:
When you get those uppers from sochi98, could you tell us a little bit about it's quality.

reason I ask, I got an update email regarding those uppers from sochi, about 70% price drop... from like 500 something to the 150 something you posted.

I might just pull the trigger and order them, they're so affordable... and save them for later use.
Old 05-03-16, 06:44 AM
murphyinaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Control Arms

GR6RR,
I will let you know how they look at of the box and then post their performance as well once they are installed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07 LS460 Upper & Lower control arm bushings replacement