LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

07 LS460 Upper & Lower control arm bushings replacement

Old 01-22-14, 01:23 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Well, the good news is that apparently it's not a big deal to repair now like it once was.

As someone who came from BMW 7 ownership where EVERYTHING was high drama and high dollar (including replacing a battery), this is all so trivial by comparison! LOL.

Sooooo good to be in a Lexus now. I don NOT miss my E65 AT ALL.
Since it's seems like wide spread problem I can see third party manufactures ready to tool replacement control arms with bushings in them.

Even the E60 BMW had known front bushing issues but that was the least of it's problems.
Old 01-22-14, 04:44 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
Since it's seems like wide spread problem I can see third party manufactures ready to tool replacement control arms with bushings in them.

Even the E60 BMW had known front bushing issues but that was the least of it's problems.
Amen Devh!

Even the Brake Actuator issue I see within this forum, is trivial by comparison to the BMW issues I had.
Old 01-22-14, 08:28 PM
vampiece
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vvman, great post. I'm in sg as well and am having the same problem. Can you forward the contact to your workshop? Thanks!
Old 01-24-14, 04:35 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Vman,
where did you source your parts? Thanks.
Old 01-31-14, 06:56 PM
Vvman
Driver School Candidate

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by randomwalk
Vman,
where did you source your parts? Thanks.
The parts are available on ebay, randomwalk.
Old 01-31-14, 09:08 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Vvman, great write up with pics and follow up of members questions!

I added this thread to the FAQ sticky, thank you for posting this informative contribution to the LS460 community.
The following users liked this post:
sjzack (09-04-19)
Old 02-01-14, 05:43 AM
Vvman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tee
Vvman, great write up with pics and follow up of members questions!

I added this thread to the FAQ sticky, thank you for posting this informative contribution to the LS460 community.
Thank you Tee.

Its been my pleasure to share information on this forum. I do not wish to claim any credit as I have also benefitted a great deal from the vast amount of information here.

Just happy to be a part of this passionate CL community.

Cheers.
DanozLS430 (10-15-19)
Old 02-07-14, 08:52 AM
zalymann
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Vvman,

Am new to this post but was wondering how the ride is now?

I had some squeaking noise from my rear passenger wheel and the dealer said I had to change my rear upper and lower arm assembly because the bushings have worn out. He said that there were shops who could swap the bushings but it could affect the tire thread wear.

Do you know if this is a possibility?

Am interested to replace the bushings also but am worried about tyre wear as well.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-07-14, 07:40 PM
Vvman
Driver School Candidate

Hello zalymann

Welcome to CL.

It has been a few weeks since I have the bushings replaced, they are absolutely awesome, no noise, everything nice n tight, just the way they should be.

I assume you have a 07-12 LS460. I have 104k km on the car and my rear control arm bushings are just fine, these are more durable than the ones on the front.

Unfortunately there is no known bushing replacement/fix for the rear, other than swapping out the entire arms AFAIK. All front control arm bushings are available on ebay but I have yet come across any for the rear.

I am not questioning the professionalism of your dealer but I just don't see how putting new good condition bushings/or arms can adversely affect tire wear?? If that is true, wouldn't all cars fresh from the factory suffer from excessive tire wear?

I do know for a fact that if you have free play due to loose suspension parts, (worn bushings or otherwise) that would throw your alignment out of specs, toe angles being the biggest culprit and consequently induce uneven and excessive tire wear.

Get the rear bushings replaced (whole arms if necessary), do a wheel alignment after that, your tires will be fine.

Good luck.

Last edited by Vvman; 02-09-14 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-15-14, 12:04 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Vvman,

I saw on eBay they sell both upper and lower control arms with the new bushing. However, looking at the pictures, and comparing to the lower bushing kits, the kits seems to have more bushings than on the lower control arm...where does the rest of the lower control arm bushings in the kit go?

Here is the front lower bushing kit:

Here is the whole front lower control arm:

So looking at the lower front control arm above, only one is used/mounted on the lower control arm. Where do the other two go? (four left in the 1st picture -- two on each side)

Last edited by randomwalk; 02-15-14 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-15-14, 12:34 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

I see it now...the lower control arms actually, there are four arms (two black and two silver)...
Old 02-15-14, 06:33 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks to me like the top pair are the lateral (main) lower control arm, the middle pair for the shock/spring unit lower mount in that main arm and the bottom pair for the forward (compliance) lower arm.
Old 02-15-14, 10:26 PM
Vvman
Driver School Candidate

Randomwalk

There are 2 lower arms per side on our rides, yes, the black pairs as shown in your 2nd pic and another silver coloured pairs.

The middle pairs in your 1st pic (not to scale, they are actually much larger than the other 2 pairs) will fit into the black colored arms.

And the small bushings on left side of the silver control arms (pic below) is where the shock absorbers actually sits.
Attached Thumbnails 07 LS460 Upper & Lower control arm bushings replacement-pic-22.jpg  

Last edited by Vvman; 02-15-14 at 10:34 PM.
steedls400 (11-05-20)
Old 02-16-14, 05:55 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Thanks vvman

I believe the other side (back) of front wheel has another set of the silver arm with bushings ?
Also there are more bushings on the rear wheel too (didn't check)
Old 02-16-14, 07:15 AM
Vvman
Driver School Candidate

Hi Randomwalk

I have attached a photo of the arms/linkages of the right front wheel before the bushings replacement. Notice the tear on the bushings in red circle.

The arm that is highlighted here in yellow (behind the silver lower control arm that runs laterally) is actually the anti-roll bar. Yes, the arb has a bushing on each side and they look quite durable. The arb link which connects the arb to the lower control arm does not have a bushing though.

There are quite a number of bushings at the rear, and unfortunately, as I have mentioned earlier, there is no known replacement bushings available on the market today. Guess will have to swap the entire arm if something breaks there.
Attached Thumbnails 07 LS460 Upper & Lower control arm bushings replacement-pic-23.jpg  

Last edited by Vvman; 02-16-14 at 07:24 AM.
steedls400 (11-05-20)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07 LS460 Upper & Lower control arm bushings replacement