LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best Car Ever

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-14, 01:58 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by M5canes
I love cars. I'm not immune to learn what's going on with the Lexus flagship. Trust me I have no intention of being childish. Counterpoints / opinions should be welcome. I mostly just read anyways.

Regards.
I welcome the input. While I think the LS is a great car I also recognize that it is not the only car in this class and other brands continue to evolve and improve. I like Audi and would seriously consider owning one - my only hesitation is with the long term quality. So if an Audi owner wants to provide their opinion on how their car stacks up against the LS what is wrong with that?

M5canes you have to remember that many owners here are deeply in love with their car so what you may think is a simple statement of fact others may hear as you calling their girl ugly.
Old 01-15-14, 06:31 PM
Hammer578
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I can tell this is a great community. I test drove the A6 and while I liked it and love the German cars for drivability I drive 25k miles a year and need reliability. Lexus is the only luxury option if that's what you want. Plus the v-8 isn't too bad.
Old 01-16-14, 02:03 AM
hjones4841
Driver

Originally Posted by Hammer578
Plus the v-8 isn't too bad.
Exactly!

I have always owned cars with a V-8 since I got my driver's license 50 years ago. I know that modern 6 cylinder cars are much smoother than those from years ago, but the extra smoothness of a V8 is apparent on most cars. I hope I never have to own a 4 cylinder. At least on domestic models, I call them "buzz bombs"

I bought my 2011 CPO LS with the intent of it being the last car I own. I am so pleased with it that just may be the case. I really wanted the ML stereo, but this car was spotless with 25K miles.

Good luck on finding a low mileage CPO LS and let us know what you get.
Old 01-16-14, 04:14 AM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Funny how opinions vary. I'm happy that you're happy. I will never return to a lexus dealer after driving and buying a 2013 Audi A8 4.0T. Different worlds. Reliability may eventually be a factor but when you're leasing and long term reliability is not really an issue, the German cars (for me) are WORLDS better in all dynamics. This A8 is an unreal machine. The '13 LS F Sport I recently drove was a loud mule with a poor transmission. Grossly underpowered and although the build quality is very nice and it's a beautiful looking car.... the drivability was for the birds. Good luck with your LS. It's not for everyone.
The last Audi I drove was a 2010 S6 with close to 80k miles on it that was in our shop for an alignment. After we replaced two lower front suspension links that car drove really well and was an amazingly good combination of performance, ride and handling. In a perfect world Audi or BMW would design cars that Toyota or Honda would build. I'd not hesitate to buy such a car used!
Old 01-16-14, 09:16 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

funny. I am always looking for excuses to drive mine too. I get frustrated because now with kids my LS is not the best to move the family so it is pretty much purely driven to the office and back and maybe once on the weekend. Other than that I am rollin gin a 2013 Sienna limited. I fully intend on dropping some concave 20" Vossens on her soon.
Old 01-16-14, 10:03 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

My Audi, in the same class as the LS, is 4.2 0-60. That's easy to understand.
I think this is where you are confused. Your leased (cough rented) Audi is not in the same class as the LS. The LS was not built as a sports sedan and the F sport model is a complete failure of execution but someone will end up buying it on a whim when they can pay a little more once they step into the dealership premises. The F sport brings variety to the LS line up so it can sell the regular run of the mill LS.

What you have in the Audi is what is known as a sports luxury sedan. These kind of cars are full of marketing insanity as they tend to not be focused in any key area, they are full of excess trying to convince the owner that 0-60 and horsepower numbers sell cars all the while locking in your fate with a Roy Batty with a five year expiration and a trip your maker for life extension.

The LS is a Rachael.

Last edited by Devh; 01-17-14 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-16-14, 10:17 AM
RodT
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hammer578
I have had my 2010 LS for a week now and I can't stay home. The wife is pissed cause I find excuses to just go drive. I have had a Bmw 550, Genesis R Spec and many other cars. Nothing compares total package wise. Loving it!

LMAO!!!!!!!! Welcome to the pissed off wife club
Old 01-16-14, 10:50 AM
philj
Driver

M5cane;

Both cars are nice in different ways. I do not agree with your view of the F Sport. Also I wonder if it is productive to make unfavorable comments about the Lexus here?

I drove a M5 for 2 years and it was a nice car but gave me a lot of service issues. The Lexus requires less service and that saves me time.

My e55 is more sporty than my F Sport but all around the F Sport is a great car for the money and while it may spec out slightly below a AMG or S there will always be a car that is better than what you drive;

Neither the A8 or the F Sport are race cars. I drove a e63 amg in Germany last week and that will blow the doors off the A8, There are cars that will out run the e63... where do you stop?

In the end it is all about personal preference you prefer Audi and others like Lexus.
Old 01-17-14, 04:55 AM
philj
Driver

Originally Posted by Devh
The LS was not built as a sports sedan and the F sport model is a complete failure of execution but someone will end up buying it on a whim when they can pay a little more once they step into the dealership premises.

The LS is a Rachael.
Devh The F Sport is not faster than a stock LS but the seats are more comfortable, the rims are nicer and in my opinion it handles better that the stock LS.

I think the options that come standard are better also (I forget now).

Just my opinion but my new F Sport is more fun to drive than my old LS.

thanks

phil
Old 01-17-14, 06:33 AM
M5canes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Devh
I think this is where you are confused. Your leased (cough rented) Audi is not in the same class as the LS. The LS was not built as a sports sedan and the F sport model is a complete failure of execution but someone will end up buying it on a whim when they can pay a little more once they step into the dealership premises. The F sport brings variety to the LS line up so it can sell the regular run of the mill LS. What you have in the Audi is what is known as a sports luxury sedan. These kind of cars are full of marketing of insanity as they tend to not be focused in any key area, they are full of excess trying to convince the owner that 0-60 and horsepower numbers sell cars all the while locking in your fate with a Roy Batty with a five year expiration and a trip your maker for life extension. The LS is a Rachael.
Your post doesn't really make sense but appreciate the contribution.

Oh ya, (cough write off)
Old 01-17-14, 06:36 AM
M5canes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by philj
M5cane; Both cars are nice in different ways. I do not agree with your view of the F Sport. Also I wonder if it is productive to make unfavorable comments about the Lexus here? I drove a M5 for 2 years and it was a nice car but gave me a lot of service issues. The Lexus requires less service and that saves me time. My e55 is more sporty than my F Sport but all around the F Sport is a great car for the money and while it may spec out slightly below a AMG or S there will always be a car that is better than what you drive; Neither the A8 or the F Sport are race cars. I drove a e63 amg in Germany last week and that will blow the doors off the A8, There are cars that will out run the e63... where do you stop? In the end it is all about personal preference you prefer Audi and others like Lexus.
Agree... on personal preference. However.. The E63 will NOT crush the A8 4.0 T. I am not infatuated with 0 to 60 times but your information is not accurate. Again.. I agree that it is all about personal preference. As far as unfavorable comments on this board are concerned, this is not a Lexus sales forum and dissenting views or objective opinions should not be looked down upon here. If we are all grown man you should be able to take someone else's point of view and make a counterpoint if necessary.

Last edited by M5canes; 01-17-14 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-17-14, 07:40 AM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

My Audi, in the same class as the LS, is 4.2 0-60. That's easy to understand.
The E63 will NOT crush the A8 4.0 T. I am not infatuated with 0 to 60 times but your information is not accurate.
According to Road & Track the base E63 does 0-60 in 3.6 seconds, and the S version does it in 3.5 seconds.

I guess it depends on your definition of crush, but I think in most driver's definition, that's CRUSHED.
Old 01-17-14, 08:36 AM
M5canes
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
According to Road & Track the base E63 does 0-60 in 3.6 seconds, and the S version does it in 3.5 seconds. I guess it depends on your definition of crush, but I think in most driver's definition, that's CRUSHED.
It's hard to believe that 3.6 time. That's faster than a Vette and 911 turbo.

And LOL at comparing a performance division of Mercedes' car in a smaller class to the basic flagship Audi V-8 sedan.
Old 01-17-14, 09:45 AM
hjones4841
Driver

M5canes: I, for one, welcome your input. But we should always be respectful of the original poster. Your posts border on hijacking this thread.

And your comment about "grown men" can be insulting to some folks.

How about starting your own thread here on the Audi and invite other members to comment? You will get much more input than you will by adding your opinions to this thread. However, I suspect that here on the Lexus forum you will not find many members who agree with your opinion. But, who knows? Maybe they will.
Old 01-17-14, 02:54 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

It's hard to believe that 3.6 time. That's faster than a Vette and 911 turbo. .
OK, let's see what Car & Driver said -

"Coupled with the improved traction, expect a 0-to-60 time of fewer than 3.5 seconds and a quarter-mile time in the high 11s at no fewer than 125 mph. "

Still hard to believe? Motor Trend wrote-

"That's enough to propel the 4511-pound sedan to 60 mph in a crazy quick 3.4 seconds and through the quarter mile in 11.6 seconds at 121.8 mph."

And LOL at comparing a performance division of Mercedes' car in a smaller class to the basic flagship Audi V-8 sedan.
I never compared it to the E63. You are the one who said, "The E63 will NOT crush the A8 4.0 T."

But hjones is right. We shouldn't be hijacking this thread. You are welcome to start a new one where we can discuss the Audi A8.

Quick Reply: Best Car Ever