LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2010 LS 460 Seat Care

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-14, 03:23 PM
Jwwellman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 LS 460 Seat Care

Recently purchased CPP 2010 LS 460 with ventilated parchment colored leather seats. Nay suggestions on how to clean/maintain/products so as not to cover the ventilation holes? Thanks in advance for your response!
Old 01-06-14, 05:04 PM
bens sc
Lead Lap

Lexol leather conditioner and or cleaner applied with a rag is what I do.

Usually around the second carwash is when I apply, a fresh coat. And usually every 2 months I use the lexol cleaner then apply a layer of the conditioner.
Old 01-07-14, 07:46 AM
PeteinPA
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I wipe down once a week with distilled water to help with keeping the cracks down.. I clean with Leatherique Pristine clean every second week or as needed.
Old 01-07-14, 09:20 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I have used Lexol in the past and found it to be substandard. I prefer the Griot's leather wipes as they clean and protect in one step and the conditioner used will resist leather cracking.
Old 01-07-14, 11:22 AM
Jwwellman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for your responses. Think I'll try the wipes.
Old 01-07-14, 04:06 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Devh
I have used Lexol in the past and found it to be substandard. I prefer the Griot's leather wipes as they clean and protect in one step and the conditioner used will resist leather cracking.
Agree on Lexol - not good.
Old 01-07-14, 04:24 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Leather protection

I have been driving cars with leather interior for over 25 years. I now live in Delaware, but before I lived in the Sacramento Valley in California, where the heat and sun are very intense. My cars are used for pleasure, so they do not sit in parking lots at work all day and they are garaged when not in use. I wipe them down with a chamois cloth after washing and that is it. I have never had any cracking whatsoever. I usually have light interior, parchment, etc. I do have another one that has black interior and there has been so problems. My seats are perforated on the past three vehicles and I have often wondered if I used a cleaner/conditioner would it wind up plugging the holes and not allow heat and ventilation to pass through efficiently.
Old 01-08-14, 06:39 AM
RodT
Pole Position

I am currently using Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner Gel (past 8 months) and I have been extremely satistfied with ease of use as well as it not leaving the seats,dash, doors, etc... that I apply it to feeling, looking or being greasy. Instead the leather feels soft to the touch with a pleasant aroma and most importantly not greasy. To me it seems to be a great product and gets the job done quite well and it's not expensive $10
Old 01-08-14, 08:19 AM
lieup
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This how I care my
http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...Lexus-Interior
Old 01-08-14, 08:52 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by lieup
Don't take this the wrong way but this is not the advice I would follow. Especially this quote.

“Take it to your dealer,” says Hubbard. “They have detail shops, and know the right steps to get stains out. Remember, these are the guys who detail the Lexus Certified Pre-Owned cars, and make them look like brand-new. Isn’t that who you’d want cleaning your car?”
This alone tells me the author knows next to nothing about car interior detailing.

At best the author is trying to prevent idiots from using household cleaners which will damage the cars interior and I have seen this done by people who don't know.
Old 01-08-14, 08:58 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by tyrenfroe
Agree on Lexol - not good.
Lexol is like applying cooking oil. It wont harm the leather but at the same time it's not as effective probably because they substitute cheaper ingredients.
Old 01-08-14, 09:03 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Valley101
I have been driving cars with leather interior for over 25 years. I now live in Delaware, but before I lived in the Sacramento Valley in California, where the heat and sun are very intense. My cars are used for pleasure, so they do not sit in parking lots at work all day and they are garaged when not in use. I wipe them down with a chamois cloth after washing and that is it. I have never had any cracking whatsoever. I usually have light interior, parchment, etc. I do have another one that has black interior and there has been so problems. My seats are perforated on the past three vehicles and I have often wondered if I used a cleaner/conditioner would it wind up plugging the holes and not allow heat and ventilation to pass through efficiently.
The problem with leather is drying out. Supposedly the leather used in the Lexus is treated and heavily died to last but in my honest opinion it still needs to be conditioned. A good conditioner will penetrate the fibers and make it supple to resist those leather cracking lines that are aesthetically not pleasing.
Old 01-10-14, 01:19 PM
Lexus4me
Driver

I just purchased a used LS460 and it needs some cleaning.

Devh, can you comment about Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner Gel mentioned by RodT?
Old 01-10-14, 01:30 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Lexus4me
I just purchased a used LS460 and it needs some cleaning.

Devh, can you comment about Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner Gel mentioned by RodT?
I don't know enough about it to recommend. What I do know is that Mequiar's as a company makes ok products. They are certainly not the best or the worst as there is so much better out there.

I highly recommend from my own experience Griot's leather wipes because the saturated wipe is lint free and easy to apply. In one step you can clean and condition leather seats and the wipe tub will last for years. The oils will penetrate the leather and keep it supple to resist cracking and drying out. This is the stuff that is used on antique leather interiors for preservation so I think it's more then good enough for your car. What I generally do is use one wipe per seat for the front and for the rear I use two to finish off. Do this every 6 months and your leather will last.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...s+100+count.do
Old 01-10-14, 01:42 PM
Lexus4me
Driver

Originally Posted by Devh
I highly recommend from my own experience Griot's leather wipes because the saturated wipe is lint free and easy to apply. In one step you can clean and condition leather seats and the wipe tub will last for years. The oils will penetrate the leather and keep it supple to resist cracking and drying out. This is the stuff that is used on antique leather interiors for preservation so I think it's more then good enough for your car. What I generally do is use one wipe per seat for the front and for the rear I use two to finish off. Do this every 6 months and your leather will last.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...s+100+count.do
How much rubbing do you apply if the leather have some color from blue jean?
and do you also use this wipe on the fake leather furface area as well?

Quick Reply: 2010 LS 460 Seat Care