LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How much did you pay for an oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-13, 07:05 AM
sparknit40
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusManny
That's great. Are you only showing the cost of parts? What about labor? Free? Show the total at the end of the invoice.

The Lexus dealer in Los Angeles will charge you $50 just to look at your car. LOL. I can't even get the oil for $33. In fact, they even charge you to dispose the oil in Los Angeles.
No disrespect but I'm not promoting any specific dealership nor getting paid to advertise the price of my oil change. The post asks how much did you pay for an oil change? I shared my charges and proof. No I'm NOT going to locate my receipt again. This isn't L.A it's V.A!! The cost of gas is $3.40 per gallon. How much is it in L.A? LOL
Old 12-30-13, 08:07 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusManny
You can have an accident from rotating the tires too early like every 5k miles? This doesn't sound right.

An independent shop that specializes in Lexus will perform great work. My mechanic knows my car inside and out. He uses Toyota 0w-20 synthetic oil and a Toyota oil filter. I watch while he does the work. He loves to work on my Lexus like it was his.

I wash and vacuum my own LS460 and I know how to change the oil and filter, but I choose not to change the oil myself. I don't want to deal with carrying the old oil in the trunk to a oil disposal facility. I also don't want to get my hands all oily and dirty.

However, I'm a great supervisor and I can definitely talk to my mechanic if I don't like something he's doing.
As Robert pointed out the IS 250 RWD has a staggered tire set up and at the time was the only IS that was six speed and RWD. Rotating the tires may have been catastrophic considering some of the country roads we drive on spiritedly and the fact that my friend was not an experienced driver.
My other Toyota has a staggered set up from the factory and if the same thing was done it would swap sides very easy.

In regard to oil changes if you found a good mechanic stick with them especially if they let you watch their work. It's rare that you are guaranteed to be 100% problem free of service as there is always a risk they can goof something up . I have heard of Toyota service ruining P/S pumps because they topped of with the wrong fluid as a courtesy.
Old 12-31-13, 05:44 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

$80 + tax at Toyota dealer and $99 at Lexus dealer in bay area, CA.
Old 01-06-14, 07:36 AM
duckblue
Driver School Candidate

Park Place Lexus in Plano, TX is $85 for oil change with dino oil.
Toyota of Richardson quoted $61 over the phone.
Old 01-06-14, 03:35 PM
lexgolf
Rookie

Originally Posted by sparknit40
No disrespect but I'm not promoting any specific dealership nor getting paid to advertise the price of my oil change. The post asks how much did you pay for an oil change? I shared my charges and proof. No I'm NOT going to locate my receipt again. This isn't L.A it's V.A!! The cost of gas is $3.40 per gallon. How much is it in L.A? LOL
You are probably getting Dino oil, not 0W20 synthetic for that price. Even Jiffy Lube will charge more than that for 9 quarts + filter + labor.
Old 01-19-15, 07:27 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by duckblue
Park Place Lexus in Plano, TX is $85 for oil change with dino oil.
Toyota of Richardson quoted $61 over the phone.
Just to update (as a new owner) with my queries on this (I'm in DFW area)

Park Place Lexus is $89 with synthetic oil change, extra $29 for tire rotation.
Davenport Motor Company (highly rated independent Lexus shop in Plano) is $90 for synthetic oil change, $25 for tire rotation
Toyota of Richardson quoted me $75 for synthetic, $19.99 for tire rotation
Goodyear (literally half a mile from my house) $75 for syntethic VALVOLINE and whatever oil filter they use with free tire rotation

I'll update when I call Toyota of Plano as well...as you can tell I'm leaning heavily towards using genuine Toyota synthetic and Toyota filters (just personal preference and peace of mind) thus prices reflect so...except for Goodyear.
Old 01-19-15, 12:13 PM
Hermes16
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

when i purchased my car, i got a card that gives me free oil changes for as long as i own the car. i bought the car second hand at the lexus of edmonton dealership. thought id mention that because i have never seen such a card in my life.
Old 01-19-15, 04:03 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

55 bucks. 0W20 Toyota synthetic and a Toyota filter. Did I mention I do it myself? LOL.
Old 01-19-15, 05:58 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Hermes16
when i purchased my car, i got a card that gives me free oil changes for as long as i own the car. i bought the car second hand at the lexus of edmonton dealership. thought id mention that because i have never seen such a card in my life.
I had a friend that bought a used car form a dealership that offered life time oil changes. Suffice to say they used cheap oil, filter and would keep him waiting because so many others were taking advantage of the same deal and would rush the service when it was his turn. I advised him to get it done right with supplying his own quality filter and oil at a good independent.
Old 01-19-15, 06:04 PM
Hermes16
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Devh
I had a friend that bought a used car form a dealership that offered life time oil changes. Suffice to say they used cheap oil, filter and would keep him waiting because so many others were taking advantage of the same deal and would rush the service when it was his turn. I advised him to get it done right with supplying his own quality filter and oil at a good independent.
is it even from lexus? my card is from lexus
Old 01-19-15, 06:14 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Hermes16
is it even from lexus? my card is from lexus
Dealerships are essentially franchises. I was surprised to know from two members here that they do not even have to supply Toyota oil for their oil changes and can use whatever is cheapest by the barrel.
If I were you, I would ask them if you can substitute the Toyota Synthetic oil for the cheap oil and you will pay the difference. If they can do that without over tightening the filter and oil bolt to the point of striping it then I would say it's a deal.
The guys that change the oil and rotate the tires at dealerships are usually not mechanics but lowest paid inexperienced kids that are on the clock. When I change my oil a torque wrench is going to be used and I will take my time draining my oil to the last drops.

Last edited by Devh; 01-20-15 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-19-15, 06:26 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
55 bucks. 0W20 Toyota synthetic and a Toyota filter. Did I mention I do it myself? LOL.
Give me your address, I'm driving to your house...
Old 01-20-15, 07:54 AM
bezee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$86.81 from Lexus of Massapequa
Old 01-20-15, 08:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Give me your address, I'm driving to your house...
I have a FAR better idea......

Fly me to Texas (I haven't been there yet). I'll even bring my own tools and take you and your fam out to dinner.
Old 09-17-15, 10:34 PM
damon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Paid $6.30 a quart at a nearby Toyota Dealer for 0w-20 Syn.
Bought 2 Toyota filters shipped free via Amazon Prime & had the Indy around the corner from my home (that always turns me around in under 20 minutes) do the work for $17.00 in labor.

Quick Reply: How much did you pay for an oil change