LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Stabilizing fins. Possible fix for wind noise in pre 2013 cars.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-13, 10:07 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Stabilizing fins. Possible fix for wind noise in pre 2013 cars.

It would seem Lexus is touting one of the major improvements in the 2013 redesign for the LS is the triangle cover on the front door. Take it with a pound of salt that it supposedly increases the stability of the car at high speeds but one thing I found that was significantly important is that it may reduce wind noise.

small fins added toward the back and by the side mirrors smooth turbulence over the side of the car, reducing wind noise in the cabin

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2mWudJxWW
The question is, will it fit our cars and I think it might if this link below is correct.
Edit: 12/5/2013 It's a perfect fit.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/ptsjapan/archives/51287729.html

I do not know if it will be any benefit since we don't have the matching rear tail lights that has the other stabilizing fin but I think it's worth a shot for $40.

I have done the JMcRaney fix and it helped quiet a bit but I do still hear some turbulence. I believe these stabilizing fins is the Lexus fix which might smooth turbulent air that might be the root of the problem.

Last edited by Devh; 12-05-13 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-04-13, 10:37 AM
Devh
Racer

I found the part numbers. I'm going to the Lexus dealership to order one and if it works out I will order the other side.

Last edited by Devh; 12-09-13 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-04-13, 04:51 PM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

It looks like they about 18.00 plus shipping at Sewell parts online for members.
Old 12-04-13, 08:15 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

let us know how those work out..

Last edited by Lextrician; 12-05-13 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-05-13, 03:28 PM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This very interesting. I have just completed the Jeff McRaney fix but not yet put the black trim pieces back on. Firstly, I have to commend Jeff for his discovery and as a result of fitting the metal plates over the registration pin holes, I have found a huge reduction in wind noise and the noise level from passing vehicles. Yesterday evening while driving at highway speeds, there was virtually no wind noise.

Based on the information in this post, I am wondering now whether I should purchase the new versions of the black trim finishing pieces as this would be an ideal time to do this. Does anyone yet know for sure if the triangular profile is the same size as the old version?

Last edited by anniversar; 12-05-13 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-05-13, 03:54 PM
Devh
Racer

And it works.

Difference between the 2013 and pre parts .

You can clearly see that the new part is not only thicker it's also bumped out significantly so that it catches air and directs it away from the window to the fin where it supposedly creates a vortex.
This design may actually push air away from the door seals or minimizes turbulence which is heard in the cabin.

Here is the back of the cover.

Notice it includes the white locking clips and adhesive tape. I also added clear sealant around the tabs to also make it air tight.
It was not only a perfect fit but also easier to install then the previous cover because of the larger size. Before installation I removed the adhesive residue on the car and cleaned it up with mineral spirits so the new adhesive makes a strong seal.

How it looks on the car.

I did not think it would add that much to the look of the car but I was mistaken as it looks great. The piano black on the old piece is not as dark as the new. Over all I'm impressed even if it does absolutely nothing.

I will wait for the sealant to cure overnight and will drive the car tomarrow to see what difference it has made and report back.

Last edited by Devh; 12-05-13 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-05-13, 04:12 PM
anniversar
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great, looks like I will be ordering these depending on the results of your road test.
Old 12-05-13, 04:34 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

nice!!!! need a set now.
Old 12-05-13, 05:03 PM
1Putt
Advanced

I'm wondering whether you can do the JMcRaney fix with the plate, and then cut off the tabs and remove adhesive on the 2013 triangle before securing down with sealant like the McRaney fix.
Old 12-05-13, 05:59 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by 1Putt
I'm wondering whether you can do the JMcRaney fix with the plate, and then cut off the tabs and remove adhesive on the 2013 triangle before securing down with sealant like the McRaney fix.
I'm sure you can however I do not think it's as much as a benefit as before. This newly designed piece is much thicker and is curved in gradually to 90 degrees to be an exact fit with the couture of the chrome trim.

The old piece is flat and the edge faces the air stream. I think this is what contributes to the cover loosing it's adhesion seal over time.

I believe using the tabs keeps even pressure to lock in to place. I think it's best to use the sealant on the voids as JMcRaney suggests and use a glob of sealant on the tabs to cover up the hole.
I'm expecting a good result based on how much better the new fined piece fits . Toyota did their homework.
Old 12-05-13, 06:06 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Looking forward to your road test results
Old 12-05-13, 10:20 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I can't use that on mine but I don't have wind noise problems. I have the jdm visors and there's a part that goes over the factory triangle cover.
Old 12-06-13, 02:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

If you already have the JMcraney fix then is it a peel and stick thing or did we mess with the old style oem black cover when we did the fix. I had the dealership do my JMcraney work. If its a peel and stick kind of thing with the tabs sounds easy enough. The JMcraney fix made a big difference but I still get a little noise on occasion.
Old 12-06-13, 02:51 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

anyone else feel like Toyota should be replacing these parts for free. Considering the thousands they dropped to not fix the issue and this only costs chump change
Old 12-06-13, 03:13 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
If you already have the JMcraney fix then is it a peel and stick thing or did we mess with the old style oem black cover when we did the fix. I had the dealership do my JMcraney work. If its a peel and stick kind of thing with the tabs sounds easy enough. The JMcraney fix made a big difference but I still get a little noise on occasion.
If you added the patch and it covers the surface area of where the adhesion is suppose to bond with the new piece I can see it being a problem because it may not sit flush.
I used doubled up aluminum tape as a patch and have since removed it in favor of getting a good fit with the fined piece.

Quick Reply: Stabilizing fins. Possible fix for wind noise in pre 2013 cars.