LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

clicking noise from front left wheel . HELP !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 09:21 AM
SilverC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check the lug nuts

Took me a while - same clicking noise - then I checked I was missing a lug nut!! All quiet after that.
Old 02-03-15, 05:02 AM
LJBAKER68
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Devh
That's a revelation. Missing bolt means that it backed out.

This is probably the reason why the service manual specifies new caliper bolts when you remove the caliper.
Hmm didn't know such information. Well I'll inform that the problem was exactly that just the missing bolt and all is golden. I had too for the time being go to Ace hardware and get a bolt that was slightly a Lil longer so with 4 washers and a lock washer to compensate the Extra length until tomorrow or what's now today when I go to the dealer and pick up the bolt already payed for after its delivered from Ontario to westminster. FYI everyone this bolt is only $2 and it only $0.88 at Hillco fastener warehouse and incase anyone need to know what type of bolt [M12(thinness of bolt) 1.25(thread pitch) 4mm(length) Hex(head)] M12x1.25x4 grade 10.9. So there you go. Also note that I am unsure if this changes from yr 2 yr. **mine is a 2003 is3 Japan model(fabricated In Japan) but not right sided Driver :-(
Well I hope this info helps someone. Oh one more thing. The caliper was what was keeping car from reversing by hitting my Rim.
Old 02-03-15, 05:18 AM
TTurboPimp
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have that same clicking noise from front left ghats driving me crazy. The odd thing is it goes away if i apply the brakes slightly, just enough to put pressure on the pads. I pulled the wheel and checked to make sure all was tight, even pulled the pads and applied anti rattle. Still there....
Old 02-04-15, 11:59 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

There are two common noises happening to LS460 and LS600.

1) The brake clicks because this is how it was designed... nothing we can do unless changing brakes into BBK setup.

2) The control arm bushings go bad frequently. You will hear this more frequent because there are 10 bushings among 6 control arms in front end (09 model, 2 lower arms and 1 upper arm per side, or total 5 bushings per side total).

I just went through a research and wrote details in my previous post about this control arm issue, and found out the arms are weak (design flaws) and can be torn/cracked as soon as every 20k miles.

It is not a car to perform superman moves!!
Old 02-12-15, 08:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Now that you mention it my LS had that annoying clicking sound from the front left wheel. Annoying as hell.
Old 10-13-18, 10:04 AM
ralphtc
Driver School Candidate

Default Issue Resolved

Originally Posted by josephdoc
There are two common noises happening to LS460 and LS600.

1) The brake clicks because this is how it was designed... nothing we can do unless changing brakes into BBK setup.

2) The control arm bushings go bad frequently. You will hear this more frequent because there are 10 bushings among 6 control arms in front end (09 model, 2 lower arms and 1 upper arm per side, or total 5 bushings per side total).

I just went through a research and wrote details in my previous post about this control arm issue, and found out the arms are weak (design flaws) and can be torn/cracked as soon as every 20k miles.

It is not a car to perform superman moves!!
i know this is for the LS post, but I was having the clicking noise coming from the left front end of my car every time I would take a left turn up a hill, and every time I would reverse and turn the wheel all I heard was that annoying clicking noise. Took my car into Firestone today, and they replaced the front left Axle, I drove up hills taking left hand turns, and reversed and turned the wheel many times, and the noise is gone, so if you’re having that clicking noise get your axles checked, that fixed my problem! Keeping my fingers crossed, my 2010 ES 350 has 133,917 miles and drives like brand new, can never go wrong with a Lexus.

Last edited by ralphtc; 10-13-18 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-13-18, 03:39 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by lieup
Do you guys hear a clicking noise when you press on the brake pedal, when put in reverse? Well, my used to do that but now it went about after I replaced all front and rear pads.
Does anyone know why the rear brakes would click in reverse? Is it the caliper piston?
Old 10-14-18, 03:00 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

...Lifters tickin', accelerator's stickin'
Somethin' on my left front wheel keeps clickin'...

Yeah, that 'something' is a wheel bearing.
Old 07-08-20, 01:52 PM
twinterer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same problem with my LS. What did you end up doing to repair? I had the ball joints and control arms inspected at the Lexus dealership. They said everything looked tip top. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-08-20, 07:09 PM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a clicking noise from my driver side too and it ended up being my front driver side wheel bearing. The way you check is to lift your car and see if there is some wiggle, check both sides and you will notice if one requires replacement. It was cheap to replace and now no more annoying clicking noise.
Old 07-08-20, 08:18 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikerx80
I had a clicking noise from my driver side too and it ended up being my front driver side wheel bearing. The way you check is to lift your car and see if there is some wiggle, check both sides and you will notice if one requires replacement. It was cheap to replace and now no more annoying clicking noise.
How much was it?
Old 07-09-20, 06:03 AM
twinterer
Driver School Candidate

Will do! Thanks. I have also noticed while braking at higher speeds a slight wobble or shutter. Maybe the bad bearing is causing that as well.
Old 07-09-20, 06:29 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by twinterer
Will do! Thanks. I have also noticed while braking at higher speeds a slight wobble or shutter. Maybe the bad bearing is causing that as well.
My guess on the braking issue is a warped rotor. Very common with OEM rotors.
Old 07-09-20, 06:32 AM
twinterer
Driver School Candidate

Thanks but I just replaced the pads and rotors all around in December. Only 5k on the car since then. I do agree with a warped rotor, just thought maybe a bad bearing could also cause some play.
Old 07-09-20, 02:32 PM
Mikerx80
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
How much was it?
Part was $75 tax and shipping included on carparts.com this is the part number REPL283712

My indy took care of the labor for $60 on one side. He would have charged $80 for the axle, but I didn't feel like I needed to change both as the other one was working just fine.

Quick Reply: clicking noise from front left wheel . HELP !!