LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Discounts for special order?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-15, 02:05 PM
silverlexi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discounts for special order?

Hello!

I'm hoping to become a new owner of a 2016 LS 460 in the next year. It will be my first LS (actually, my first Lexus), so I am so excited to be joining your ranks!

Unfortunately, the colors, package, and options combination I want are not available in any dealer's inventory within a couple thousand miles.

I'm looking for
AWD (nearly impossible in Texas)
Liquid platinum/light gray leather
Comfort or Ultra Luxury package
Semi-aniline leather + alcantara
Mark Levinson
Blind Spot Monitor
Pre-collision system

I'm considering a special order, but am unsure what type of discounts would be available. I would appreciate any tips, advice, or information for best pricing. I live in the North Dallas area, if that makes any difference.

What should I expect in terms of % off MSRP for a special order?
Does it make a difference if I wait until early 2016 to place a special order in term of discount off MSRP?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 11-07-15, 03:23 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Just curious.......any particular reason why you want AWD?
Old 11-07-15, 03:29 PM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm curious, too. The AWD adds a lot of complexity to an already complex car.

And why the pre-collision stuff? My wife's Mercedes has it and it's a miserable affair. I don't need my car telling me how to drive any more than I need my father to cut my steak up into little bites for me.

But on your question...I'd expect you are one the last people who will get a discount. Why? You are buying the top line Lexus and you want a very specific one at that. And it has to be ordered. The dealer will be glad to help you, but it will be at his financial pace. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 11-07-15, 03:43 PM
silverlexi
Driver School Candidate

Regarding the AWD & pre-collision, I guess I'm interested in all the safety features and most options I can get since I'm spending so much on a car that I plan to keep for a very long time. I don't expect to need another car in the next 10-15 years, I hope.

I appreciate the input, though. The AWD is a feature I'm willing to drop for price negotiation. The pre-collision is a safety feature I'd personally like, but Lexus doesn't appear to have it on the inventory cars.
Old 11-07-15, 04:12 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

The AWD adds weight to an already heavy car. Also, AWD models have less horsepower (360 vs 386) and less torque. Between the hp drop and the extra weight, performance will suffer....... but you may not care about that.

Last edited by roadfrog; 11-07-15 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-07-15, 04:22 PM
silverlexi
Driver School Candidate

I'm primarily focused on safety, comfort, and luxury and less on performance.

I do have family who live out-of-state up north. That's part of the reason why I wanted AWD, since I plan to periodically take road trips during the winter to visit them.
Old 11-07-15, 04:26 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

If you're planning on staying in Texas, I really think the AWD would be a giant waste of money. I have a rwd and I actually drive it through the winter months up here in New England without a problem (with snow tires). Yeah the AWD would be better for me, I guess, but the car's traction control system is so fantastic it's never been a problem.

Try getting this car to slip with the stability assist on, it's pretty hard to do. It's a very sophisticated system that works very very well.
Old 11-08-15, 09:38 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Any real reason why people here seem to have a particular dislike for AWD? Yes it adds a bit more weight and you get less performance, but any other real reason? Is the transmission on the AWD worse than the one on the RWD? People mention it adds more "complexity" to an already complex car (this is true), but so what if it doesn't really affect anything else other than weight and a slight decrease in performance (which are to be expected)?

And to the OP, typically when you order a vehicle, your promotions/discounts are slimmer. I don't know if Lexus has new owner discounts, and discounts for moving from a different luxury manufacturer, etc. but in your case I'd look for a loaded LS with the features you want from a Northern dealer (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, New York, etc).
Old 11-08-15, 09:49 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Any real reason why people here seem to have a particular dislike for AWD
I don't think there's an inherent "dislike" for AWD, but rather, an opinion of whether one NEEDS it. If I found a car that had all the features/options I wanted and it happened to have AWD, it wouldn't prevent me from buying it, but I wouldn't seek it out as a must have. My LS doesn't have it and in the Winter I put on my snow/ice tires and don't look back. It performs great in all conditions with the traction control, etc. Given the loss of HP, weight and extra maintenance (diff fluids, etc), I'd rather do without.
Old 11-08-15, 12:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

You will do MUCH better on a car that is in stock than a special order. Lexus dealers don't like to do special orders, Lexus makes it difficult and it takes forever, unlike BMW. If you did away with the AWD, I bet you could find what you're looking for. The LS is a pretty low volume car at this point, and I would expect 2016 to be one of the smallest volume years in the LS' history as dealers prepare for the all new upcoming LS. Even when I was looking for my LS 6 months ago, if you could find a dealer with 6 or 7 LSs in stock that was high inventory.

As for AWD, while I have only owned an LS460 in AWD, I did have a RWD LS430 and LS400. The only reason I got AWD is because its impossible to find a RWD car here, and because for the next few years our family car will be a FWD van instead of a 4WD SUV as it has been for years. The RWD is lighter, less complex, has more power, better economy. If you don't NEED AWD I wouldnt get it. We do have snow here, and the climate isn't such that winter tires make sense here...since I don't have another snow drivable car in the family right now I kind of need the AWD.

Without winter tires these cars are terrible in the snow with our AWD.

If you really want the AWD, I would start looking at dealers in other regions where they only stock AWD cars, such as my region, and think about shipping it.
Old 11-08-15, 02:20 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You will do MUCH better on a car that is in stock than a special order. Lexus dealers don't like to do special orders, Lexus makes it difficult and it takes forever, unlike BMW. If you did away with the AWD, I bet you could find what you're looking for. The LS is a pretty low volume car at this point, and I would expect 2016 to be one of the smallest volume years in the LS' history as dealers prepare for the all new upcoming LS. Even when I was looking for my LS 6 months ago, if you could find a dealer with 6 or 7 LSs in stock that was high inventory.

As for AWD, while I have only owned an LS460 in AWD, I did have a RWD LS430 and LS400. The only reason I got AWD is because its impossible to find a RWD car here, and because for the next few years our family car will be a FWD van instead of a 4WD SUV as it has been for years. The RWD is lighter, less complex, has more power, better economy. If you don't NEED AWD I wouldnt get it. We do have snow here, and the climate isn't such that winter tires make sense here...since I don't have another snow drivable car in the family right now I kind of need the AWD.

Without winter tires these cars are terrible in the snow with our AWD.

If you really want the AWD, I would start looking at dealers in other regions where they only stock AWD cars, such as my region, and think about shipping it.
When i went looking in our area there was no RWDs that i came across even brand new at the dealers. I had to go down to Florida.
Old 11-08-15, 02:36 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

To OP's question on special order - I was seriously considering special order on GX when I was looking for GX in 2005. Like OP, I couldn't locate one with my specific add-ons. If I remember correctly, they came down something like $2k on $55/56k. Not much to bargain on special order as dealer is taking the risk of placing the order. You could cancel the order any time. It might take up to 3 months to get delivered. Averages around 2 months delivery time.

OP, based on your configuration did you check 600h?. Most of 600h comes with pre-collision and lane departure assist. Also , it is AWD. If you can afford, go for what you want/need. Don't compromise. These technology add-ons can't be added later unlike bulb upgrades. You may regret later. Good luck!.
Old 11-08-15, 04:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A new 600hL is going to be $30k more than his configuration LS460.
Old 11-08-15, 09:49 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

What % off MSRP for a special order is dependent on how many dealers you have in your area. I had 5 dealers within 50 miles of me, so I had dealers competing for my business. If you have only 1 near you, then you have to pit the dealer against another make when bargaining.

I know there are some websites that can give you idea of what kind of discount you can get. Just do some google searches.
Old 11-09-15, 08:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Having 5 local dealers doesn't help when none of them want to do a special order lol

Quick Reply: Discounts for special order?