LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2014 Lexus LS460 F-Sport or 2014 Hyundai Equus Ultimate:Decisions,Decisions, lol

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-13, 04:23 AM
LouG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just yesterday I saw a younger guy - maybe late 30s to mid 40s driving a loaded black Equus. Very nice looking car, but I can't help but feel that the depreciation on that thing is gonna be a killer. I know we don't buy cars because we think they one day might increase in value, but I always try to keep a good exit strategy in mind god forbid I'd ever have to get out and sell. While the LS has a higher cost of entry, I'd have to assume the level of demand for a used LS is higher than that of an Eqqus.
Old 08-30-13, 06:44 AM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at a bunch of cars (A8, 2013 S550) as well as the 2014 Equus (with the refresh). The Equus is a very nice car and they come loaded at a very attractive price point. Nice interior and drives pretty similarly to the LS.

At the end of the day I decided to buy my Lexus at the end of the lease (next week). I would never buy an Equus but I came close to leasing one.
Old 08-31-13, 08:10 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

If a lease deal is good on the Equus it could make sense to get that so you don't have to deal with the depreciation and trying to sell it down the road if you don't like it.
Old 08-31-13, 08:24 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Just aesthetics alone, I don't care for the Hyundai. I do like the LS F Sport design more. That being said, the bells and whistles may sway you. But I really like the LS styling.
Old 08-31-13, 01:31 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a used LS over a new equus on paper it may SEEM like a great deal for the Equus, but I have sat in both and I could already tell that after 40k miles the plastics will get loose and start to rattle. The LS is priced higher for a reason. Things are priced higher for a reason you get what you pay for.
Old 08-31-13, 03:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The only reason to buy the Equus is the money. If someone was going to give the two to you, then you'd obviously choose the LS.

With that said $20,000 is a lot of money, although if you buy it and keep it 5 years I think that actual cost difference would be far less because of resale differences. A used LS will always have value, if its got 200k you're always going to have someone who wants it. A used Hyundai Equus? I don't know...and comparing an F Sport to an Equus isn't really apples to apples, an optioned LS460 without the F Sport package is a better comparison, and that makes the difference more like $15,000...maybe even $12,000.

BUT, the Equus is really nice. Highest in the segment in customer satisfaction (yes, higher than the LS), free maintenance that includes valet pickup and dropoff of an Equus loaner for 5 years 60k miles. Its an intriguing package...as someone who loves the LS but who loved it a lot more at $65k than at $80k the Equus is appealing.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-31-13 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-31-13, 04:54 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Another thing to consider about value. Look at the last gen LS selling price in the market
Old 08-31-13, 04:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you're leasing though it doesn't really matter. You can lease one of these for like 1/2 of what an LS leases for.
Old 08-31-13, 06:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Even as an LS460 owner I have to say Hyundai gives you an insane amount of car for the money and little bells and whistles that the LS doesnt have plus the concierge service. That would be bad *** if they could pick up my car for me so I would never have to take it in for service .
Old 08-31-13, 07:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
hat would be bad *** if they could pick up my car for me so I would never have to take it in for service .
Most Lexus dealers will do this, all of the dealers here will and drop off a loaner. But...the service isn't free like it is with the Equus.
Old 09-01-13, 08:16 AM
Rob6656
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Just a curious question . . . What are some of the features the Equus has that the LS does not (other than the front camera)?
Old 09-01-13, 12:43 PM
14LSSport
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been out looking and test driving vehicles from 50 K to 100 K.
I want to try to keep this vehicle for 5-10 yrs.

I just traded in a 2012 Range Rover Sport Autobiography. V-8, 5.0 Supercharged, All Wheel Drive. Really nice, fast and fun to drive. I put 13K miles on it. I got pissed off with the few electronics problems I was having.( subwoofer rattle in rear hatch, Radio/ Cell phone ( Apple iphone) Bluetooth problems, rear hatch not wanting to close when I pushed closure button.)
I traded it in at my local Lexus dealer friend and he sold my Range Rover in two weeks to a friend of his. I have always wanted an LS and I would save on sales tax, if I bought a Lexus since I traded.

At my local Land Rover dealer, I sat in a new 2014 Range Rover Sport V-6 Supercharged that was sold. Inside looks great, Outside is warming up to me. I need to check out my old problems and see if they have fixed them.

My 2012 cost 89 K and a 2014 setup just like my 2012 is 100K. So I'm not sure if I want another Range Rover.

I drove a 2013 Lexus LS 460 F-Sport, loaded. It still had shipping wrap on it. Comfortable ride, Quiet, Smooth, I could get it for 1 K under invoice, about 81 K. It was tempting, but I can order a new 2014 from my friend for 500 - 1000 over invoice.

I drove a 2014 Hyundai Equus "Ultimate Edition", Pretty nice car, just don't think I can buy a Luxury Hyundai. 62.5K

I went to drive an Audi S6, A7 or S7. Seems too low to the ground to me and to me has an annoying wide side pillow for the doors I scraped with my back getting in and out. so I never did drive one. They look great inside. 90 K and some change or more.

While there, I drove a Audi SQ5 (SUV?Crossover?) loaded, All Wheel Drive, V-6 supercharged 354 hp, I can get a pulley and tune from APR and up the HP to 450 hp or more. Road well and handled great. 65 K thinking maintenance and reliability costs will be high.

I drove a 2014 Mercedes E550 4-matic. Real nice car, lots of nice electronic stuff. 75-80 K loaded, thinking maintenance and reliability costs will be high. I was reading on the internet that the 2015 E550 will be out in April 2014 and its a totally redesigned car?

I drove a Lincoln MKZ, nice car. 49 K loaded . I could live with driving it, but it's no Lexus.
I love Fords though, I currently own two F-150's and one F-250.

I am still battling on the decision to buy another car. I like being able to look ahead in traffic when sitting up high in an SUV or Truck. I do own a 2007 F-250 Crew Cab 6.0L Diesel Lariat Outlaw edition that I plan on using as my daily driver. A car would be great addition for trips/work/weekends or whatever.

What I am liking is:

Two SUV types:
2014 Audi SQ5 : 65 K
2014 Range Rover Sport : 100 K

Cars:
2014 Lexus LS 460 F-Sport : 83 K , would save 17 K not buying another Range Rover or get
2014 Lexus LS 460 Loaded without F-Sport package.

You think the F-Sport will be a sought after package for resale or just get a LS loaded up?

I'm in no real big hurry to buy, hopefully decide soon and have the new vehicle by end of December 2013. I want to try to keep the vehicle for a while, I got to make sure it's what I want.
You can waste a lot of extra money trading cars all the time.

Thanks,
DL

Last edited by 14LSSport; 09-01-13 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-01-13, 01:08 PM
14LSSport
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob6656
Just a curious question . . . What are some of the features the Equus has that the LS does not (other than the front camera)?
Head-up display
Multi-view camera system, new forward-view cornering camera.
12.3-inch reconfigurable instrument cluster for the driver.
429 horsepower
Hyundai boasts that it has more leg, head, and shoulder room in both the front and rear than the Lexus LS 460. With expanded rear-seat controls, you can now do things like change navigation settings from the backseat—if someone's doing the driving for you, of course.
Front Driver seat massager
Free Hyundai concierge service is nice.

Limousine-like Equus Ultimate models on top of all that add a rear entertainment system with dual 9.2-inch screens, rear-seat audio and climate controls, upgraded instrument-cluster displays, power door closures, a power rear seat, cooled rear seats, a cornering camera, power side sunshades, and a head-up display.

Leather and wood are up to snuff
Business class, in front and in back
White-glove dealership service
Dislikes:
The look is derivative
So, so thirsty
Interior detailing misses the top tier
Rear seat lacks footroom with recline

That's one of the many things good I could say about Land Rover Range Rover too. Any problems I had, they come to you and pick up your vehicle and give you a loaner, then bring your vehicle back to you when done. That was a very nice service, saved me a bunch of time.
I lived 50 miles from my local dealer. I was thinking about relocating, closet dealer was 2 1/2 hrs away, they would come get it.

Last edited by 14LSSport; 09-01-13 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-01-13, 04:28 PM
vasy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rob6656
Like the earlier poster said.

I like 2014 Equus' 360° camera view. When you back up, you can see all 4 sides of the car's surroundings simultaneously.

HUD includes blind spot monitoring. Hyundai claims it to be the first for all automakers.

I think the driver seat massage feature for Equus is gone for 2014.

Free 3-year routine maintenance. But Hyundai only does so according to its regular driving maintenance schedule. Not for severe driving condition. For example, 7500-mile oil change even if you meet severe driving condition.

10-year power train warranty. 5-year basic warranty.

But Equus' EPA mileage is 1 MPG less than LS. Equus' TPMS does not display psi readings. It will tell you which tire's pressure is low. Equus has fewer features that owners can customize. Equus' head light is HID for low beam, halogen for high (not bi-xenon like LS). LED head light is not available in US market for Equus (available for Korean domestic market). It does have LED fog light as standard. 2014 Equus does not have DRL (earlier models do). Equus has fewer color choices than LS. You can not avoid air suspension in Equus - it's standard. You can not get the feature that automatically brings the car to a complete stop when driving at a speed less than 29(?) MPH. I think it's called advanced pre-collision system in LS. Equus' cruise control can bring the car to a complete stop like LS. Equus does not come in the L version but Equus is only 1.9 inches shorter than LS460 L. It's 3.1 inches longer than short wheel base LS. The Equus has a shorter driving range. Its fuel capacity is 1.7 gallons less than LS. One more thing, Equus' front and rear tires are of different size.

Last edited by vasy; 09-01-13 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-01-13, 04:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 14LSSport
2014 Lexus LS 460 F-Sport : 83 K , would save 17 K not buying another Range Rover or get
2014 Lexus LS 460 Loaded without F-Sport package.

You think the F-Sport will be a sought after package for resale or just get a LS loaded up?
I think the vast majority of LS sales will always be the standard car. I know I have only seen one LS F Sport in the wild and I've seen quite a few 2013 LS's. I like the look of the F Sport front end better, but like everything else about the base car better.

If you're thinking resale, I would do the base car optioned up over the F Sport.

Quick question, if you liked the MKZ and E Class have you driven the GS? No V8 in the GS, but the drive is way better than the E Class, and clearly a class up from the MKZ (which I like a lot as well).

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus LS460 F-Sport or 2014 Hyundai Equus Ultimate:Decisions,Decisions, lol