LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DIY Replacement of Seat Filters?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-17, 08:14 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
It's funny with these type filters, I treid that, washing them and they didn't appear to clean up at all.

I might setup my remote start this weekend (waiting for the T-clips to come in), then I'll leave it perm on for the summer.
Interesting. I haven't seen the filter yet, so I guess I'll have to wait and see and then decide what I'll do. When you say they didn't clean up at all, what did you use? My intention is to blast them with compressed air and then wash them in a solution of simple green or microfiber towel cleaner (the kind that removes wax etc from car products).
Old 06-03-17, 11:29 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

I used soapy water, just dish stuff (that was a available). It maybe a cleaned a little but, not much.

I did notice the fan gets a little loud, meaning you can hear it almost clear as day. Problem with it ?
Old 06-06-17, 10:38 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
I used soapy water, just dish stuff (that was a available). It maybe a cleaned a little but, not much.

I did notice the fan gets a little loud, meaning you can hear it almost clear as day. Problem with it ?
Hmmm, maybe you can hear the fan cuz the filter's clean now?
Old 06-08-17, 08:42 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Hmmm, maybe you can hear the fan cuz the filter's clean now?
Not fully clean, I need to order a NEW one... but, after it's on after about 5 min there is a hum in the car, after I shut it off , it goes away.
Old 06-08-17, 07:22 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I got my new filter yesterday via Ebay. I'll install it over the weekend and post a review.
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (06-09-17)
Old 06-09-17, 10:07 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Another nice feature of the filters is they absorb flatulence odour.
Old 06-09-17, 11:00 PM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 0133642
Here's mine... 😦
Just checked mine and the driver seat filter is nearly as dark /dirty as yours. The passenger seat filter looks new. I guess never used by the previous owner.
I used Resolve laundry stain remover. Soaked it for a couple of minutes then ran under warm water. Now both looking new. Sorry I did not take photos.
The following 2 users liked this post by RayLS:
glerobi (10-16-18), roadfrog (06-09-17)
Old 06-14-17, 07:42 AM
garyfiji
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to this thread I have found the seat filters!! A couple of times I have asked the Lexus dealer in Boise ID if there were filters under the seat and was told by the service rep that the technicians said "no". I followed the instructions about putting the seats as far forward as possible as possible. It was easy to get the filters twisted off after finding them. After cleaning the driver's side filter went on with a breeze but I must have spent 20 minutes trying to get the passengers side on. Probably something to do with a different angle and hand. Although the filters were not that dirty I cleaned them. Seems like the flow of cool air improved.

Thanks to all for the help.
Old 06-14-17, 09:08 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

My turn. I just cleaned all 4 of my seat filters in about 20 minutes. As stated previously remove your floor mats. Move the fronts seats all the way forward and up. Now go in from the front, I know its tight but you can get your head and a flashlight in there and you can plainly see the filter. Spin it and remove it. Now blow it out with compressed air if you have a compressor. Mine blew out perfect and look like new. On to the rears. Move your seat bottom forward and again look under the foreword outward corner with a flashlight. You can clearly see the little filters. Use a pick to release them and remove and blow them out or clean with a toothbrush etc. I personally don't need or use these cooling fans but I like to maintain my cars as near perfect as I can get them. OCD.
Old 06-14-17, 09:17 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Replaced my drivers side yesterday. It was plenty dirty. Easy job when following the directions above. Seems to flow better now, but we'll see when the weather gets hotter. I was impressed with the fan that the filter attaches to. It's pretty stout considering the job it does.
Old 06-14-17, 09:43 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Replaced my drivers side yesterday. It was plenty dirty. Easy job when following the directions above. Seems to flow better now, but we'll see when the weather gets hotter. I was impressed with the fan that the filter attaches to. It's pretty stout considering the job it does.
I'll order one this week. I might as well. As after cleaning a little, I can feel it but, it still was very dirty. I cant do the remote start so I am going to have someone do it for me (someone with car stereo exp). This is the main reason I wanted it, as when it's 90+ out, I can use the remote start and cool off the black seats !
Old 06-24-17, 11:17 AM
TofuMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How strong can you guys actually feel the airflow? I felt zero with filters in, took them out and they were only semi dirty, and even without filter ,it seems I have to turn on full blast before I can feel anything with my hand, the fans are turning strong u can hear it and also I put my hand where the filter was and can feel lots of air movement
Old 06-24-17, 03:55 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

Ok Guys thanks for the tip. The fronts were a peace of cake, floor mat out, full forward full up. They were dirty no doubt about it. Took the air hose to them and they look almost new. The back ones what a pain in the ***. Had to get the dental teeth cleaning pick out (don't tell the DW as she uses them to get meat stuck in her crowns out) to get them off which was the easy part. Trying to get the first one lined up to snap back over the little clips, was a PIA. The passenger side looked like it had never been used, it was that clean. So I took a pass on the drivers side rear.

Dennis

Last edited by DJWLDW; 06-25-17 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-24-17, 07:43 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

My new one came in today ($13) I wanted to put a "NEW" one on the drivers side to see if airflow is any better.

I did notice when I pulled from the passengers side, that airflow did get better.
Old 06-27-17, 01:02 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Way earlier in this thread I indicated I couldn't locate the seat filters. Using the all forward and up configuration I was able to see them and remove for replacement the other day. Car was scheduled for an oil change today so asked my Service Advisor if the car had any kind of filters for the seat cooling. He was sure there were none.

Then I showed him one of the filters I had removed - blew him away - said he'd have to 'do some research' on that!

LOL

Quick Reply: DIY Replacement of Seat Filters?