LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Outside Temp display

Old 07-01-13, 12:55 PM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Outside Temp display

Yesterday I reset the MPG on the odometer and today I notice the outside temp disp only show the two dashes - - and no numbers. Did I messed something up? I read the manual but can not find anything about outside temp display ??
Old 07-01-13, 05:01 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you getting the same 2 dashes on the dash and AC control? My temp reading has always been off from what's really going on outside on the high side. It's usually 5-10 degrees higher on the display but last year when we got to 97 here, I got 2 dashes but came back after about 10 min. of driving. I see you're in Texas. How hot is it there now?
Old 07-02-13, 05:56 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 305Busa
Are you getting the same 2 dashes on the dash and AC control? My temp reading has always been off from what's really going on outside on the high side. It's usually 5-10 degrees higher on the display but last year when we got to 97 here, I got 2 dashes but came back after about 10 min. of driving. I see you're in Texas. How hot is it there now?
Yes, I am getting 2 dashes on both odometer and A/C control, so what that means?
Last week was really hot over 104 degrees for 3-4 days but we are getting a little bit of break this week only around 92 degrees this week so far.
Old 07-02-13, 03:48 PM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to doubt my temp display too but then I realized that I could not trust it until I had been driving for a while. I suspect the temp sensor is close to the engine enough to be influenced by it. So I drive for 5-10 minutes and I can see it slowly drop until it starts getting a true read rather that heat from the engine.

I note you have a a Panamera on the way. I am very interested in your impression of this vehicle. I have driven LS for a while now and this last model has given me some problems. I still think Lexus is great but Porsche has got my interest. They are obviously different types of cars but the Panamera comes in an AWD version (which I like here in the Northwest), it has enough room for two sets of clubs, and Porsche has a great quality reputation.
Old 07-02-13, 03:59 PM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

It probably burned up from the Texas sun. Mine read 108 in San Antonio last Saturday, but is still working fine.
Old 07-03-13, 05:33 AM
tofu
Pole Position

I called dealer and they said that I need to bring it in and they will show me how to get it back, I guess he means there is a way to play with the buttons on steering wheel will get the reading back.
Old 07-06-13, 11:21 AM
tofu
Pole Position

This morning I decided to check out the temp sensor which is located right inside the bottom left grill of front bumper and the thing was kinda loose, pop it back in and outside temp display came back to life...
Old 07-06-13, 08:09 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Originally Posted by tofu
This morning I decided to check out the temp sensor which is located right inside the bottom left grill of front bumper and the thing was kinda loose, pop it back in and outside temp display came back to life...
Glad to know you got it fixed without taking it in. Always a plus.
Old 07-06-13, 08:21 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Originally Posted by edarte
I note you have a a Panamera on the way. I am very interested in your impression of this vehicle. I have driven LS for a while now and this last model has given me some problems. I still think Lexus is great but Porsche has got my interest. They are obviously different types of cars but the Panamera comes in an AWD version (which I like here in the Northwest), it has enough room for two sets of clubs, and Porsche has a great quality reputation.
I bought the panamera a little overs year ago with water damage. It's been in a shop since trying to get it right and hopefully it'll be right soon. As soon as its in my hands, I'll let you know my thoughts.
Old 07-07-13, 06:05 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I bought the panamera a little overs year ago with water damage. It's been in a shop since trying to get it right and hopefully it'll be right soon. As soon as its in my hands, I'll let you know my thoughts.
My Dude..did you know ot had water damage?
Old 07-07-13, 06:07 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by tofu
this morning i decided to check out the temp sensor which is located right inside the bottom left grill of front bumper and the thing was kinda loose, pop it back in and outside temp display came back to life...
ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-13, 06:48 AM
rolloman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW---Anyone else notice that the outside temp only displays in even numbers? I always found this odd😎
Old 07-07-13, 07:14 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Oh man! That takes a lot of work and money to get it right.. Good luck
Old 07-07-13, 07:36 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rolloman
BTW---Anyone else notice that the outside temp only displays in even numbers? I always found this odd😎
Mines shows odd and even numbers.
Old 07-07-13, 07:43 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by rolloman
Rolloman, you must just be driving in even temperatures! Odd temps will display.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Outside Temp display