LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

GPS Problem - losing location information

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-13, 04:44 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I understand. I will try to constrain myself.
Sorry if I have added confusion.
Your post about tint not being a factor for sure was useful information.

Last edited by lexus600hl; 05-08-13 at 04:49 AM.
Old 05-08-13, 10:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
Yes. thats not the issue. have you read JMCARNEY's post? According to him Neither the tint nor the region affects gps positioning. I agree with him, even though I have not tested the region setting. I have two identical cars, both with tint. No reason to discuss further about tint and region. It has already been answered by jmcarney (thanks JM for testing with a foil!). Thank you.
I am trying to find owners who have experienced a similar issue, after a NAV upgrade.
yes i did, but i am also speaking from experience. i have had at least 5-6 customers where they had problems with gps location and it's always off. just like you, in the morning it's fine, but as they drive, it starts to get off. in one case, a gx470 and the gps position was off for more than 1/2 year and the owner gave up.

in all cases, when asked about the region, it was set to the default (somewhere in the east coast i believe) when the car batteries were changed.

set the region back to CA and within a min, calibration was done and problem solved.

so yes, i read jm's post and yes, i speak from personal experience. i have also updated navs before and never had problems. i take apart lexus cars day in day out. i am sorry my suggestion didn't resolve your issue
Old 05-08-13, 02:11 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
yes i did, but i am also speaking from experience. i have had at least 5-6 customers where they had problems with gps location and it's always off. just like you, in the morning it's fine, but as they drive, it starts to get off. in one case, a gx470 and the gps position was off for more than 1/2 year and the owner gave up.

in all cases, when asked about the region, it was set to the default (somewhere in the east coast i believe) when the car batteries were changed.

set the region back to CA and within a min, calibration was done and problem solved.

so yes, i read jm's post and yes, i speak from personal experience. i have also updated navs before and never had problems. i take apart lexus cars day in day out. i am sorry my suggestion didn't resolve your issue
Thank you for your detailed explanation. I appreciate it. As I wrote, region is not the issue and the problem came up only after nav software update. Any other suggestions you have, are most welcome! I didn't mean to offend you in anyway and I appreciate your attempt to help.
Old 05-18-13, 06:05 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

I sold the car! Getting a Jaguar xjl
Old 11-21-13, 10:59 AM
edik65
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS issue on LS 430

Hello, everybody

I did have the same issue with my GPS showing some crazy stuff, but I think i did find a solution today after reading some posts about possibly tint/foil is blocking the signal. I realized that my radar detector was perfectly placed on my windshield (like 1.5" above dash and GPS LCD). I decide to move it to the left and guess what? My GPS is back to normal!
Please make sure that there nothing blocks your signal and you should be fine.

I hope it helps

Good luck
Old 06-29-19, 11:06 AM
KIMOOOOH1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

I have this issue with the Navigation. I purchased a used GS from the dealer, and when I test drove the car there was a destination set on the navigation so it appeared to me that it is working. After buying the car, I realized that the navigation has a problem, and that the Navi. had been manually calibrated before I test drove the car and that is why the Niv. appeared to be working.
The "GPS" indication on the screen is off. In the beginning, Lexus told me that this is an antenna issue and needs to be replaced. After that they told me it might be the power going to the antenna, and they don't know what is the issue exactly. They said they might need to replace the wire harness, which is very expensive, and also I am not convinced that the issue is that complicated, specially that everything else is the car is working. Any Suggestions?
Old 06-30-19, 02:48 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Dealers don't seem very good at dealing with GPS problems. You are wise to consider other possibilities.

One thing you should think about is if you car is receiving the GPS signals.

You probably already know all this and can discount it quickly. But just in case:

1. The GPS signals originate from for satellites that are orbiting the Earth at an altitude of 12,000 miles. Your car needs a clear view of the sky and the car's GPS system may not work well in high-rise garages or any garage, between tall buildings, under trees, in mountainous terrain or where the sky view is obstructed.

2. Radio frequency signals that may originate from numerous electrical equipment sources outside the car can interfere with the reception of GPS signals. You deal with this by moving your car away from the interference.

3. Radio frequency signals that originate from inside the car can interfere with the GPS and prevent reception. Turn off all equipment that has been added to the car, such as radar detectors. Power converters and electronic equipment that employ switching power supplies. And be sure to keep your personal electronic deices away from the car while you are troubleshooting.

The GPS accuracy can not be calibrated - it is inherently accurate.

Last edited by jmcraney; 06-30-19 at 02:52 PM.