LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any rotors and pads recommendations? i decided no more stock pieces for me anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 06:06 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my car with only 14,900 miles and they were already warped real bad

I got Centric Premium "blanks" and Posi Quiet Ceramic pads and the braking has been phenomenal for the last 4000 miles! Total investment about $250

Last edited by peteybabes; 03-11-14 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-11-14, 08:58 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I'm not sure I agree that there's a lot posts on the warping of the OEM rotors

REALLY???

I've only been a member here for 2 months and I've seen several posts about the issue. One was from a Lexus tech who said that oem rotors (especially the rears) were prone.

If you Google "Lexus rotor warpage", you will be greeted by pages and pages from different forums about it. Several of the posts were from the RX forum here at CL. I've never encountered anything like this in other forums I've belonged to (Bimmerfest, Acura, Ford, etc).

All I know is that my car's service history has at least 6 entries about either replacement or turning of both the front and rear rotors. In any case, I replaced my fronts with Bendix and my shimmy has disappeared.

Most cars do not require 103 ft/lbs of torque. As a result, most places will torque you at 80 to 90 ft/lbs.
Mine are torqued to 110 lbs ft by my local Big O Tire. They do a lot of aftermarket wheel/tire custom work and that's what they recommended.

BMW specs call for 105, Mercedes 110, Volvo 105, Mini 105, . Any of the larger cars seem to call for between 100 and 155 (Cadillac Deville). The Porsche Carerra is 450 lbs!!!! LOL. Crazy!!!

Last edited by roadfrog; 03-11-14 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-11-14, 02:24 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Porsche Carerra is 450 lbs!!!!
Methinks you are referring to the Porsche Centerlock system (which requires special tools and a breaker bar), and not the conventional Porsche 5-bolt version. BIG difference.

Centerlocks look great and are optimum for the track, not the street. Carry on... hehehe
Old 03-11-14, 09:18 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Centerlocks look great and are optimum for the track, not the street. Carry on... hehehe
It was just an observation . I thought it was pretty cool ... LOL.
Old 03-11-14, 10:02 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What's the root cause of the warped rotors? Improperly torqued lugnuts? Or the rotors themselves? Or the brake pads?

All I know is that I torqued my lugnuts at 100 ft/lbs, put ceramic Akebono pads, and resurfaced the OEM rotors and my braking is smooth. No more vibrations. It stops on a dime.
Old 03-12-14, 08:35 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

How long ago did you resurface the rotors? My vehicle's rotors were resurfaced as well. Problem with resurfacing is that, while it does remedy the shimmy, it will return in time and at an accelerated rate, since material was removed and made the rotor surfaces thinner. Fewer and fewer shops are resurfacing anymore. Furthermore, rotors are becoming less available for resurfacing, since the rotor thicknesses are thinner in the interest of weight and cost savings. Plus, they are so inexpensive now, it makes sense to just replace them. Like I said, my set of Bendix rotors cost me 55 dollars with free shipping....that price was for TWO not each! AND with a 2 year warranty against warping.

There was discussion on why the Toyota/Lexus rotors were warping so readily. I forget what the verdict was, whether because of a bad batch, or supplier issues, I just can't remember. NAPA makes a superior rotor (I think referred as NAPA Gold?). That rotor is zinc treated for rust and comes with a crazy warranty. Supposedly the best you can buy. Not sure they make one for our cars.
Old 03-12-14, 09:30 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most Manufacturers are notorious for providing a rotor that meets safety standards, but are certainly not the best. The simple reason is because it becomes a wear part that needs fixing often, thus more money in their pocket. That's all that is really happening and these "originals" need to be replaced.

I'm sure I'll get some flack on this reply.
Old 03-12-14, 09:41 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by peteybabes
Most Manufacturers are notorious for providing a rotor that meets safety standards, but are certainly not the best. The simple reason is because it becomes a wear part that needs fixing often, thus more money in their pocket. That's all that is really happening and these "originals" need to be replaced.

I'm sure I'll get some flack on this reply.
No flak from here. It's the absolute truth.
Old 03-13-14, 08:33 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

The front and rear rotors were last resurfaced over 22K miles ago. I'm sure I'll report back if I start having problems with the brakes.

I cannot find rotors for $55/pair like roadfrog mentioned. Can you post a link to these $55/pair rotors? If I start having problems with brakes, then I'm going after-market rotors and ceramic pads.
Old 03-13-14, 08:59 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexusManny
The front and rear rotors were last resurfaced over 22K miles ago. I'm sure I'll report back if I start having problems with the brakes.

I cannot find rotors for $55/pair like roadfrog mentioned. Can you post a link to these $55/pair rotors? If I start having problems with brakes, then I'm going after-market rotors and ceramic pads.
Price went up a couple dollars (now 59 dollars/pr), but still free shipping....here ya go:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bendix-PRT5929-Disc-Brake-Rotor-Premium-Brake-Rotor-Front-/390781801526?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5afc691436&vxp=mtr
Old 03-15-14, 05:12 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

Thanks for the link. That's a good price.
Old 12-14-14, 09:01 AM
b8b
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Price went up a couple dollars (now 59 dollars/pr), but still free shipping....here ya go:
Looks like they have gone up to $72, and it's just for the front. Also, not showing for 2007 LS460 and can't find rear.

Any other recommendations on budget but acceptable-quality rotors for an '07 LS460?
Old 12-14-14, 09:48 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by b8b
Looks like they have gone up to $72, and it's just for the front. Also, not showing for 2007 LS460 and can't find rear.

Any other recommendations on budget but acceptable-quality rotors for an '07 LS460?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raybestos-980570-Advanced-Technology-Rear-Disc-Brake-Rotor-/381079180317?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALS460&hash=item58ba16d41d&vxp=mtr
And there's plenty more on Ebay. Not sure what you're using for search criteria, but they go for about 30 apiece
Old 12-14-14, 03:45 PM
b8b
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
And there's plenty more on Ebay. Not sure what you're using for search criteria, but they go for about 30 apiece
Thank you! Got that one, thank you. Now I need one more for the rear (there was only one in that auction and searching for "Raybestos 980570" turns up only higher pricess), and two fronts.

How are you searching or what search string are you using? I didn't see that one in my search results before.
Old 12-14-14, 08:24 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by b8b
Thank you! Got that one, thank you. Now I need one more for the rear (there was only one in that auction and searching for "Raybestos 980570" turns up only higher pricess), and two fronts.

How are you searching or what search string are you using? I didn't see that one in my search results before.
The search phrase I used was "LS460 rear rotors" or "LS460 front rotors"

Quick Reply: Any rotors and pads recommendations? i decided no more stock pieces for me anymore...