LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
Old 12-15-14, 12:53 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

My Android Integration Demo Video with VAIS Technologies IVIC System

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-14, 09:28 AM
Greezy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mellowcmb
Can anyone explain why I would lose my back up camera feature with the IVAC ? I only have the park assist feature on my car and not the self park. I was told I would lose my back up camera. Any help would be appreciated.

Carl
When I called VaisTech I spoke to someone who was helpful, but not exactly knowledgeable. I ordered my MML system through him (which still hasnt been installed due to cold weather). The MML allows an iPod to hook right up through the factory screen much like the iVic does with a smartphone. Except the MML is just for music, which is why it's $250, and the iVic is currently $400.

He told me wrong information a few times, and corrected himself each time with the right info. So after he figured out what he was talking about, he told me that if I don't have self park, which I don't, that my back-up camera would be disabled by the iVic. However, I would still be able to manually access the back-up camera via on screen controls. That means if I want to use my reverse camera, I would have to manually access it each and every time. To me that is very inconvenient, but honestly the iVic is so nice to have that Im probably going to get it anyway, and learn to turn around when backing up like they did in the old days. From what I understand, if you do have self park, there's no interference with the camera when shifting to reverse (I think, correct me if I'm wrong).

I asked him also if it makes sense to have both the MML and the iVic installed at the same time. I forget exactly where that led but it ended up getting very technical and he basically told me that the iVic doesnt replace the MML, so youre better off having both. If you have both, you get the good sound quality through your speakers and your iPod controls through your factory screen, via the MML, and access to your smartphone and all the features that come with that, via the iVic.
Old 01-25-14, 12:23 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezy

When I called VaisTech I spoke to someone who was helpful, but not exactly knowledgeable. I ordered my MML system through him (which still hasnt been installed due to cold weather). The MML allows an iPod to hook right up through the factory screen much like the iVic does with a smartphone. Except the MML is just for music, which is why it's $250, and the iVic is currently $400.

He told me wrong information a few times, and corrected himself each time with the right info. So after he figured out what he was talking about, he told me that if I don't have self park, which I don't, that my back-up camera would be disabled by the iVic. However, I would still be able to manually access the back-up camera via on screen controls. That means if I want to use my reverse camera, I would have to manually access it each and every time. To me that is very inconvenient, but honestly the iVic is so nice to have that Im probably going to get it anyway, and learn to turn around when backing up like they did in the old days. From what I understand, if you do have self park, there's no interference with the camera when shifting to reverse (I think, correct me if I'm wrong).

I asked him also if it makes sense to have both the MML and the iVic installed at the same time. I forget exactly where that led but it ended up getting very technical and he basically told me that the iVic doesnt replace the MML, so youre better off having both. If you have both, you get the good sound quality through your speakers and your iPod controls through your factory screen, via the MML, and access to your smartphone and all the features that come with that, via the iVic.
As I mentioned earlier, with self park feature, rear camera operates perfectly
Old 01-25-14, 06:14 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. Gotta prioritize though! LOL....

Maybe for my birthday in April. :-)
Old 11-01-14, 06:51 PM
Topshottaz
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great write up cjitty
Old 11-02-14, 06:51 AM
enjo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my 5D installed for about 2 months now. When it works it's excellent but I find it glitches quite a bit. I can rarely get more than 20 minutes of continuous use without it buffeting, crashing and needing a reset. Unhappy. I would post this on their forum but I can't seem to register.

Last edited by enjo; 11-03-14 at 01:16 AM.
Old 11-02-14, 06:57 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Does anyone have a write up or DIY on the install of this? I did a search but can;t seem to find anything. I have one being delivered and I find the online instructions from Vaistech to be very generic.
Old 11-02-14, 07:27 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

I've had had mine about a year and have had very few issues except for a handful of times when the screen didn't revert back to portrait mode when disconnecting. You have to make sure that you wait for the ivic service to engage/disengage fully before unplugging.

Had it professionally installed for $200. Even an experienced installer was on the phone with tech support a few times, so it's not for the faint of heart. He mounted the unit inside of the center console which has seemed to work fine even with a threat of heating up.

All in all, it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. Charge rate keeps up just fine even when using Google maps which is a battery hog. It's pretty handy using the bluetooth mouse when waiting in the car for any length of time (think drive-thru's . Best part is not only being able to listen to my music catalog, but the enhanced sound it provides utilizing the PowerAmp app.

Word of caution. Early on having so many options available on the screen, at times I found myself taking my eyes off the road. This put myself in more than a few precarious situations. Learn the system inside and out before taking to the road. Organize your screens to access what you need with a minimum of distraction.
Old 03-22-15, 02:48 PM
VDODSON
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
**NOTE**
Any updates I have on my experience with this mod will be added to this first post with dates...check back often as I will keep you all posted as best I can.

Hey Everyone, your boy Uncle Jitty decided to post up this Informational Thread on the VAIS Technologies Android In Vehicle Infotainment Center (IVIC) and post a quick demo video of this in action in my LS600hL. I have had a few questions PM'd to me so I thought this would help some of you all out by starting this thread.

There are a couple of bonus extras I added to the setup to make it even more enjoyable. I highly recommend folks get this, especially those of you with Android phones and self parking feature.

Notes:
* Currently this is on sale on VAIS's website..about $150 off than when first released in 2012.. so it may be a good time to scoop this up now. I think this is the only product of it's kind on the market. Look at it this way, if you don't have the hookup at the dealer to get your NAV system updated for less than $300, then you can pay a little extra for this and use any NAV Android App you want and updates are free that way...win!

* Will work perfectly on LS's WITH the self parking feature. *If you DO NOT have self parking, you will lose your oem backup camera when in reverse feature but otherwise the system works just fine. There are some work arounds but it requires wiring from what I understand. If anyone has determined the fix..please post in this thread to help others.

*I thought I bought a genuine Samsung MHL HDMI adapter from Amazon, but I think they were duped as well as me..so, I had to return it and currently using a cheap MHL adapter that is being replaced with a real Samsung adapter for better performance.

Update 3/30/2013- Went to Best Buy today to see if they had an authentic Samsung OEM MHL HDMI adapter and they did. $40 and I can say 100% that the one I got from Amazon was a FAKE. The one I bought today had much better packaging, Samsung OEM Hologram and the adapter felt about 5x heavier in weight and overall build quality. Needless to say, after installing the new MHL adapter, the system works perfectly now with no glitching, which is a clear sign the MHL adapter is getting interference. The fakes have no shielding which is probably the cause of my issues from the Amazon "Genuine Adapter". Don't go cheap on this one folks, get the real deal and go to a reputable store and put your hands on one. I have attached some pics of the packaging in hopes you can avoid a fake MHL HDMI puchase. I sent my other one back to Amazon for refund so i can't compare the two boxes side by side...

*The white MHL cable I used in the video to connect to my phone was temporary, I am now using the OEM Samsung MHL HDMI connector and using a 2.1 amp car charger using the the 12v power outlet in the armrest. The MHL connector requires a power source, so there is a micro usb port on the MHL connector. The white cable is an All in One MHL Adapter and was causing the system to glitch and is better suited for basic home use applications, not for the IVIC. As VAIS recommends, only use a Genuine OEM Samsung MHL HDMI adapter for this setup. I can confirm this is true.

Update 3/31/2013
Here are some things you may want to consider to enhance your experience with this VAIS Android IVIC system
* I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE, YOUR IVIC, YOUR CAR OR ANYTHING ELSE YOU HAVE!!!! DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

1. install an app made by VAIS Technology called "IVIC Port". This app auto rotates your phone screen to Landscape and other settings you may find useful while operating your IVIC. FREE!

2. Rooting is NOT REQUIRED to use the IVIC. But, I did to allow for some phone tweaks you cannot do unless you are rooted.
There are plenty of YouTube videos with crystal clear instructions on how to do it and it takes literally seconds. Simply search YouTube for "How to Root (Your Phone Name) (Your Carrier)" You can always unroot if you need to send your phone in for warranty work or anything.

3. After rooting, Flash a Kernel that allows you to control "USB Fast Charging". Since your phone will be on at all times while connected MHL HDMI, it will drain slightly more than it can charge since the phone is seeing the power source as a USB device vs AC Connected Wall Charger. I flashed the Perseus Kernel which has very customizable power control settings. The stock kernel does not allow for this adjustment. I set mine to around 750mA for USB charging which while MHL HDMI connected charges at a rate at around 1% every 10 minutes or so. So far so good.

4. Install a Free App called "Screen Standby" in the Google Play Store. This app can sense when you connect to MHL HDMI and turns your phone screen off without putting it to sleep. This is very helpful in preventing battery drain and it just makes sense to turn that screen off when you have your car nav screen on mirroring the display or if you are hooked up to your LCD at home. This app requires ROOT.

5. I wanted to save even more battery life on my phone by installing another free app called "Car Kit". This app DOES NOT require root and can sense that I am connected to a power source and automatically turn on the phone bluetooth control. In my case, once i connect to my IVIC, the app senses the power and turns on the bluetooth and begins pairing the car OEM BT for phone calls, then the BT connection to the IVIC, and then the BT connection to that $9 BT Mouse I picked up on EBAY. When I disconnect the power/MHL cord from my phone, it turns off the bluetooth and kills all BT connections and saving battery life in general. Of course when turning off the car, the BT connections will end but I noticed while at the house, the BT mouse has enough range to stay connected. So, this app ends that as well automatically. Once I get back in car and plug back in, the mouse will auto connect within a few seconds. Not bad for a cheapo mouse.

Update 4/1/2013
* Your up and down steering wheel controls will still work for some apps like Music Player and others. It does not work on the PowerAmp app for some reason. Also..your volume control on your steering wheel works as well for head unit volume. The ivic port app auto fixes your phone volume output and you can adjust that line out volume..default is 14 of 15. Volume levels are about even if you are switching from another factory source like FM when you select ivic

Update 5/7/2013
* As I mentioned, one of the downsides is not being able to run your OEM Satellite Radio while your IVIC is connected to your phone since the IVIC is considered to the head unit as an additional source (CD Changer to be exact). So I signed up to get live XM Radio app. It is an additional $22 a year with my multi radio discount, but well worth the $2 a month to keep my satellite radio while this is in use. I didn't realize the XM/Sirius app allows for customizing the type of music you get on a particular channel. It is called myXM and for example on XM backspin (old school hip hop), you can tell the app to give you more 80s or more 90s tracks and more east coast or more west coast style..interesting for sure. Plus it acts like a DVR and saves the point you stopped listening.

Update 9/3/2013

I sent this into the VAIS forum today and they are looking into the issues, but I still love my VAIS IVIC system despite these minor issues.

Ben/Eugene and fellow VAIS IVIC owners,

Here is a quick update on some of the issues I have observed

Vehicle: 2008 Lexus LS600hL with Self Park
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Network: AT&T
MHL Adapter: Authentic Samsung purchased from Best Buy

Issue #1. Glitching observed when phone switches from 3G/EVDO/4G/LTE networks

I have spent some extensive time on the road and going to less poplulated areas and of course the phone will often jump networks when on the highway. I can say with 100% certainty that my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phone on AT&T will cause blue screen glitches as the phone is switching networks. You can see the glitching occurring while observing the LTE/4G and EV icons appearing as the phone tries to lock in a network. This happened several times along the same route in both directions. When in a highly populated area with strong LTE signal, the glitching does not occur.

My Solution so far is to force the phone to stay in 4G mode only and turn off LTE. That seemed to reduce the issue significantly, but when the phone goes from 4G down to EV (3G) on AT&T, it would glitch slightly and eventually I would lose music streaming on my XM Radio App, iHeart Radio or any other streaming media and I have to wait to get back into a strong 3G or 4G area.

Issue #2. Factory GPS icon disappears occassionally causing factory navigation to lose tracking.

Since installing the IVIC, there appears to be an intermittent issue involving the factory navigation. On the 2007+ Lexus LS vehicles, there is a "GPS" icon that displays near the upper left corner of the factory NAV screen. Sometimes when starting the car, the GPS icon will not display. As long as you stay on a main road, the car will track, but if you go on an unmapped section, the car will lose position on the map if the GPS icon is not on. For some reason, by plugging in my phone to the cigarette lighter whether hooked up to MHL adapter or just straight from the 12v plug, the GPS icon will appear again within a few seconds and not disappear.

It is hard to determine what exactly is causing it, whether interference from the phone, IVIC or if it has to do with power loss to the nav/radio unit since it is tied into the IVIC via plug n play and the IVIC is taking power from the remote GPS receiver. Others on the club lexus forum who have devices that plug n play have also noticed odd GPS behavior. I do know that by connecting my phone to a power source appears to help this issue.

These issues do not change my perception on the device because the pros clearly outweigh these occasional cons which can be mitigated with minimal effort, but I wanted to share these details in hopes that it may be something that can be investigated as a potential issue.

Since getting the real MHL Samsung adapter, I have not had any glitches at all. System works great. I will probably do an updated video soon showing more apps and perhaps do one while in motion to show nav apps functionality
________

*My good friend Whitetooth who has a 600h over in Germany has figured out a way to use this with the iPhone, so be sure to keep up with him on his thread in the Audio Forum. VAIS is still working on this so I think that will be coming soon for you iOS folks. Here is Whitetooth's post for you iPhone folks >>>>> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...d-screens.html

*Sorry for shaky video, I am not trying to win an Emmy for production so deal with it..

Hit me up here on this thread if you have any questions..enjoy

CJITTY's LS600hL featuring Android Integration (VAIS Technologies) - YouTube

Whats up CTITTY, quick question man. I had a local shop attempt to install it, and they couldn't get it to work and it also disabled my back up camera. Does your back up camera still work, and upon initial setup when you connected via blue tooth did your screen automatically start mirroring your phone on the nav screen? When I connected it did nothing, and the set up button was grayed out.
Old 03-22-15, 02:59 PM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VDODSON
Whats up CTITTY, quick question man. I had a local shop attempt to install it, and they couldn't get it to work and it also disabled my back up camera. Does your back up camera still work, and upon initial setup when you connected via blue tooth did your screen automatically start mirroring your phone on the nav screen? When I connected it did nothing, and the set up button was grayed out.
If you don't have the self parking feature it'll disable reverse camera

On a side note, vaistech.com has released the update for the ivic-d
Old 03-22-15, 04:02 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dirteeboy

On a side note, vaistech.com has released the update for the ivic-d
??? Really? I just went to their site and the last update I see is Oct 2013
Old 03-22-15, 04:18 PM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
??? Really? I just went to their site and the last update I see is Oct 2013
Just email the contact on the site Eugene will send you the .bin file and installation instructions. They haven't fixed the line issue, but the screen mirroring fits better for my S5. Haven't got to play with it much after updating.
Old 03-22-15, 05:40 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dirteeboy
Just email the contact on the site Eugene will send you the .bin file and installation instructions. They haven't fixed the line issue, but the screen mirroring fits better for my S5. Haven't got to play with it much after updating.
Cheers for that!
Old 03-23-15, 09:34 PM
CJITTY

I haven't updated my ivic since I bought it. It works fine for me. And I am running a Galaxy Note 2 with custom Ditto Note 3/Galaxy S5 hybrid ROM and it works flawlessly. I need to figure it what the update does differently but i am happy with mine as is. I responded your PM and I am just wondering if your MHL adapter has power going to it and if you pushed the CD button twice to activate the ivic . And as mentioned several times in the thread, if you don't have self parking feature your backup camera is dead and stankin after ivic install.

Last edited by CJITTY; 03-23-15 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-24-15, 12:28 PM
CJITTY

Update: On the lasest post of my build thread (link is below in my signature), I have successful gone wireless to mirror my phone into my car by using Google Chromecast. No more MHL adapter!! Quick demo video included
Old 09-24-15, 02:01 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Update: On the lasest post of my build thread (link is below in my signature), I have successful gone wireless to mirror my phone into my car by using Google Chromecast. No more MHL adapter!! Quick demo video included
I did that too last month. Had to, because the Galaxy S6 doesn't allow HDMI.

Not gonna lie though....it's not nearly as good as the old setup was. Better than nothing.

Quick Reply: My Android Integration Demo Video with VAIS Technologies IVIC System