Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

My LS600hL Nightmare....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-13, 07:37 AM
slickmurph
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My LS600hL Nightmare....

I am 9 months and 4800 miles into ownership of a pre-owned 2008 LS600hL. The car was impeccably maintained by Lexus prior to my ownership and it was delivered to me mechanically and cosmetically flawless from a private individual.

Since 01/13 the following items have been replaced:

eCVT Transmission (MG1 and MG2)
A/C Compressor
Climate Blower Motor
Water Pump
Climate Control Modules
Wiring Harness behind dash (it was supposedly a TSIB and the ENTIRE dash was R/R)
Numerous other control units, sensors, computers, etc..

The car is now in need of new shocks ($7500) which were perfect before the wheels hung from a lift for 2 months.

What started with a slipping transmission has spiraled into an epic disaster. The dealer is realizing that many of the items that are now in need of replacement are because of the 9 weeks of removing and reinstalling hundreds of components. They are as tired of the car as I am and the total repair bill is approaching $32K (not including the shocks.) Lexus has picked up the bill for all of it.

However, I am now left with a vehicle (that was once assembled with exacting standards) that has been disassembled and reassembled so many times I believe the long term reliability and quality is now gone.

I am considering a trade or working with Lexus to take back this enormously expensive lemon.

I just wanted to share my experience.

David

Last edited by slickmurph; 03-18-13 at 08:47 AM. Reason: sp
Old 03-18-13, 07:43 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

get rid of it... i would call lexus directly and demand some sort of credit that you can use towards another vehicle. Oh and dont EVER EVER EVER buy the long body ls460. My mechanic tells me he sees those vehicles come in more than the normal rwd ls460. He also said to avoid the AWD lexus.
Old 03-18-13, 09:33 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow.

Did you have extended coverage that paid for some or all of these repairs?
Old 03-18-13, 09:35 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hahaha! Why would that be a reason to avoid a car? One mechanic sees more LWB cars come and go than SWB, so don't ever buy one?

OP- Sorry for your troubles. If you can have Lexus buy the car back, I would definitely go that route. Whatever car you get next, just make sure it's under warranty like this one. I just believe you may have gotten unlucky. Better luck next time!
Old 03-18-13, 09:46 AM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow sorry to hear about all your troubles. I went through a lot of crap with my CPO as well. Not as much as yours though. Its weird how these cars can end up having so many issues. I hope you can get Lexus to take it back. Good luck!
Old 03-18-13, 09:59 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Wow, that sucks. I am glad I have a CPO car but for silver305 to throw grenades out like that on the LWB 460 is just ridiculous. Unless he can provide stats that the LWB is far worse off than the SWB, then it is just an opinion as far as I am concerned.

For the OP, I would def call Lexus Customer Care and demand some help toward a new car. They may say "we paid $32K in repairs" and have a nice day..or offer some type of rebate..who knows, but call anyway. Hopefully this all gets resolved soon. HOw many miles when you bought it..and how many now? Just curious
Old 03-18-13, 11:31 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont think Lexus is going to help you get out of the car if its a used 08. Maybe a 2011, but not an 08, especially after they dropped 32k. My used LS is not perfect and hasnt been perfect. I am still waiting on replacing the two defective Pirelli tires on my car to hopefully finally get rid of the vibration I have for 19 months after owning the car. In the end I am going keep the LS as long as I can, pay it off, and then go lease something nice for about $1000/month ......oh yeah Im rolling that thing stock. I am so tired of car related issues from modding as well as the lack of help you get when there is an issue and they see aftermarket stuff. My experience with buying a used Lexus has left a bad taste in my mouth. If it were to ever happen again I would only go CPO
Old 03-18-13, 11:57 AM
MPOP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG, so sad hearing all these bad news.

If it is a CPO (or is it?), 9 month doesn't seem long; and they should explain why there is a need for such major services (in terms of cost) in such a short time after that certify it.
Old 03-18-13, 12:07 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not buying a TSIB that requires a wiring harness/dash replacement. More details please...
Old 03-18-13, 01:50 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
I'm not buying a TSIB that requires a wiring harness/dash replacement. More details please...
There is a TSB out there for excessive LS600hL Dash Rattle. I had it, it was annoying as hell and had it fixed..the car sounds amazingly better on the inside now. It involves major surgery..the entire dash is taken apart, speedo cluster, radio, nav, glove box, steering wheel even...i mean, it looks bad..BUT...it was put back together nicely..in fact my steering wheel when it goes up after I turn off the car is quieter for some reason..I don't hear the motor noise as much..can't explain it, but much better.

The dash fix involves beefier clamps where it hangs on the firewall essentially along with a bunch of no noise felt/foam. The dash is solid now and no more rattles over bumps. Not sure about the wire harness part of that, but I know the dash rattle was a TSB item for the LS600hL..
Old 03-18-13, 02:53 PM
mikectm2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I am so tired of car related issues from modding as well as the lack of help you get when there is an issue and they see aftermarket stuff. My experience with buying a used Lexus has left a bad taste in my mouth. If it were to ever happen again I would only go CPO
Both of those points Very well taken. yea, issues related to Modding..
Old 03-18-13, 03:24 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
There is a TSB out there for excessive LS600hL Dash Rattle. I had it, it was annoying as hell and had it fixed..the car sounds amazingly better on the inside now. It involves major surgery..the entire dash is taken apart, speedo cluster, radio, nav, glove box, steering wheel even...i mean, it looks bad..BUT...it was put back together nicely..in fact my steering wheel when it goes up after I turn off the car is quieter for some reason..I don't hear the motor noise as much..can't explain it, but much better.

The dash fix involves beefier clamps where it hangs on the firewall essentially along with a bunch of no noise felt/foam. The dash is solid now and no more rattles over bumps. Not sure about the wire harness part of that, but I know the dash rattle was a TSB item for the LS600hL..
Sorry to highjack this thread. But is it also for the regular LS460 too? There is a rattle in my car that I cannot pin point for the life of me. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side. Happens when I'm on my way to work on the freeway, but thats usually the only time it happens.
Old 03-18-13, 04:59 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Sorry to highjack this thread. But is it also for the regular LS460 too? There is a rattle in my car that I cannot pin point for the life of me. It sounds like its coming from the passenger side. Happens when I'm on my way to work on the freeway, but thats usually the only time it happens.
Yes:

http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...L-NV011-07.pdf

http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...L-NV005-07.pdf
Old 03-18-13, 05:13 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Do I just print it out and take it to my local dealer?
Old 03-18-13, 07:21 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Not sure about the wire harness part of that, but I know the dash rattle was a TSB item for the LS600hL..
Thanks for the info; I stand corrected. Quite a chore pulling a dash just to change clamps and install padding. I'm surprised Lex would entertain this procedure in a TSIB. Must have been a REALLY annoying squeak!

I'm still a bit curious as to the OP's wire harness issues. Dorking with that would be like pulling the CNS out of a human being and expecting to put it back; definitely NOT a Saturday afternoon project!

Quick Reply: My LS600hL Nightmare....