LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What would you sell or buy your 07 LS 460 for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 10:59 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Splurg
so in other words if im understanding you correctly ....your saying that selling to a place like car max will always pay you more than the dealers would on a trade in?
Not quite; there's no such thing as "always." As JR pointed out, there are any number of players in the used car market. CarMax and your local Lexus dealer are just two of them. My point was that, ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL, the trade-in dealer generally has a tax advantage over other used car buyers. As JR showed however, real world experience in different business conditions can have a huge effect on prices offered for used cars by both trade-in dealers and other potential buyers.

Any used car dealer may be overextended in general inventory and thus may not be able to offer a decent price AT THE MOMENT. Lexus dealers are particularly vulnerable to having too may, say, LS models on hand due to trade-ins they were "forced" to accept from price-unconscious buyers or lease returns. On the other hand, some dealers know they can flip a given vehicle in no time, so they are willing to pay top dollar for it. Some even use a high-end model as a draw to their lots so they can sell higher profit, lower priced vehicles.

The fundamental reality is that markets are ever-changing, complicated networks of many individual estimates of value. That said, there ARE some structural factors that generally lead to predictable pricing differentials. I was simply attempting to point out one of these. Good luck with your LS transaction.
Old 03-11-13, 05:46 PM
Splurg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
In my experience, it depends. I took 4 cars to CarMax for offers last year. the offers were all over the place.

2005 Toyota Prius with 45000 miles Carmax offered exactly KBB trade in price. I sold it to my brother-in-law

2004 Ford Expedition with 60,000 mies, very nice, no paint work, good interior condition they were $1,500 below KBB. Sold it to Lexus dealer for $2,500 more and they put it on their used lot.

2002 Pontiac Sunfire with only 36,000 miles on it they were right on KBB Trade in price. Sold it to a friend.

2008 Toyota Avalon Limited in excellent condition they offered $3,000 MORE than KBB. Traded it in at local lexus dealer on a 2009 CPO LS460.

JR
thanks for sharing, goes to show research is always good, good for you man!
Old 03-11-13, 05:48 PM
Splurg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Not quite; there's no such thing as "always." As JR pointed out, there are any number of players in the used car market. CarMax and your local Lexus dealer are just two of them. My point was that, ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL, the trade-in dealer generally has a tax advantage over other used car buyers. As JR showed however, real world experience in different business conditions can have a huge effect on prices offered for used cars by both trade-in dealers and other potential buyers.

Any used car dealer may be overextended in general inventory and thus may not be able to offer a decent price AT THE MOMENT. Lexus dealers are particularly vulnerable to having too may, say, LS models on hand due to trade-ins they were "forced" to accept from price-unconscious buyers or lease returns. On the other hand, some dealers know they can flip a given vehicle in no time, so they are willing to pay top dollar for it. Some even use a high-end model as a draw to their lots so they can sell higher profit, lower priced vehicles.

The fundamental reality is that markets are ever-changing, complicated networks of many individual estimates of value. That said, there ARE some structural factors that generally lead to predictable pricing differentials. I was simply attempting to point out one of these. Good luck with your LS transaction.
very well said and broken down i mos def understand what your saying , thanks for the heads up.