LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any ideas as to what this might be?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-13, 05:48 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Any ideas as to what this might be?

i had my lexus ls460 at the dealership yesterday. He mentioned he had put air on all tires (AND ALSO DISCOVERED I DONT HAVE A SPARE TIRE IN MY TRUNK SO NOW I AM GOING OFF ON THE DEALER) so the tire pressure this morning was 35,34,36,37 and one that said "checking" which is the missing spare tire.
After driving 10 miles, this is what i am getting on my display this morning.
any ideas? my first instinct tells me it is probably a bad sensor on one of the tires which is an easy fix, but i rather ask and make sure i dont have a bigger problem here.
Attached Thumbnails Any ideas as to what this might be?-imag0601.jpg  
Old 03-06-13, 06:33 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Your dealership stuck it to you man..I think you said you bought it at Lexus dealer right? If so..you need to drive right back over there and handle that. A missing sensor will cause that code..the more you post..the more I think your car is real suspect for previous drama..just keepin it real. You need tobstart asking some serious questions and get mgmt involved!!
Old 03-06-13, 06:35 AM
CJITTY

If all the sensors don't "check in" within 30 minutes or so the error will come up
Old 03-06-13, 06:47 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Your dealership stuck it to you man..I think you said you bought it at Lexus dealer right? If so..you need to drive right back over there and handle that. A missing sensor will cause that code..the more you post..the more I think your car is real suspect for previous drama..just keepin it real. You need tobstart asking some serious questions and get mgmt involved!!
i checked online the entire service history and the car had the interval service done at the dealership. i dont see any weird service done to it or anything funny.
That being said, i asked my mechanic friend at the dealer and he said he feels it is a solid buy. This guy is a long time friend of mine and he said to just go over there and they will take care of anything i want because i technically have 30 days to return the car if i dont like it.
Just yesterday i received brand new, sealed, floor mats for the car which i believe go for 200 dollars at the dealer.
These guys don't really fool around when it comes to cars. What i do believe is that the car wasn't really inspected because it was a recent trade in and i know factually they had not even posted it on their website so maybe it was sold to me before they had a chance to see what it needed. I believe this is why they are being very nice and helping me out. I love the car, the smelll, everything about it, but i won't let emotions get in between a business transaction. My mechanic friend said i can literally drop the car off and tell them i dont want it and they will have to take it back so i am not worried.
i need to get a carfax report on it and that will tell me if there are any other issues.
Old 03-06-13, 08:25 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
her is the carfax i just pulled. it looks like a one owner vehicle. I checked the minor damage and according to carfax a minor damage where airbags dont deploy could be a fender bender, something small and nothing crazy.
I also read that it had all its maintenance done, new battery, brand new front brakes at 32k miles, then new rear brakes at 34k miles. I dont see really anything that stands out per say. Looks like a car had an owner who brought it in to get all scheduled maintenance.
Old 03-06-13, 08:28 AM
silver305
Pole Position

here it is..
Attached Thumbnails Any ideas as to what this might be?-capture.png  
Old 03-06-13, 08:55 AM
CJITTY

Hate to break the news to you, but CarFax is as good as what is actually reported to it. I would recommend a Carfax, Autocheck Report by Experian, and a thorough inspection by an independent inspector or even a body shop. WIth all of those checks, you can check for inconsistencies of things or things missing. There are services out there that will check out your car for under $150 and provide a full report..you can even use that info to negotiate. But if you are solely relying on carfax, there are plenty of folks who still didn't have the full scoop and dealt with issues later. Again, I am not trying to rain on your parade here..folks on here know i have no filter, but I wouldn't be doing you any favors by telling you everything was chocolate chip cookies served to you by the DirecTV Genie girl.

That dealer needs to take care of you with that spare tire BS, end of story
Old 03-06-13, 09:12 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah you need the dealer service history.
Old 03-06-13, 09:27 AM
silver305
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lbintab
Yeah you need the dealer service history.
i did get the service history. It really shows nothing out of the ordinary. I have looked into both.
That being said, i had my mechanic friend go through it and he said he does not see anything out of the ordinary that would hint a problem with the car. He said the ls460 is very reliable and that based on the condition of the car both inside out, price of the car, etc, that i did get a good deal. He did say that i should not have an issue getting a spare tire and my headlights swapped out. The dealer won't lose money doing that for me because they would just take these parts off another car under warranty and they will probably put that other car through the warranty department to get these parts new. He said dealers do that all the time because they are not here to lose money on a sale.
i like the vehicle like said earlier, but until i get it how it should be, i feel dissatisfied.
Old 03-06-13, 10:23 AM
CJITTY

I hope everything works out, but it is a shame that dealer let you down like that...that is a major safety oversight...i think they will make it right, they don't need bad press like that. I expect that from some side lot that sells cell phones and calling cards along with used cars, but NOT a Lexus dealer..you can still call customer care and complain about your experience. I had to for a couple of paperwork issues I had along with a faulty part...but I ended up getting a nice service credit for my troubles! They made it right, so I am 100% satisfied
Old 03-06-13, 10:38 AM
silver305
Pole Position

wha kind of service credit?
Old 03-06-13, 11:31 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's being blown out of proportion. Sounds like it just needs a spare tire and the headlights adjusted which are completely doable and seemingly cheap/free.

Get it up to your standards and enjoy it!
Old 03-06-13, 11:45 AM
silver305
Pole Position

that is the plan. i feel confident it will be resolved. I am now just trying to see how/who can sell me extended warranty at a very good price. i mean, it is not like my car has 120k miles. It is at 64k which is like "midlife" for a vehicle. i have to be able to find a reputable place that sells lexus warraties for cheap because the dealer sucks.
Old 03-06-13, 12:21 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

One other possibility is that the car came into the dealership with the spare and at some point before it was delivered to you, someone at the dealership stole it. That kind of thing has happened before.
Old 03-06-13, 12:48 PM
silver305
Pole Position

i just got off the phone with the sales rep. He said what probably happened was that they took it off my car and put it on another ls460 so they could sell it complete... however, he said he will handle everything and do the light swap and put a full size spare tire in the trunk for me in the next few days.

Quick Reply: Any ideas as to what this might be?