LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

08 ls460 needs new control arms

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-14, 12:57 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
LOL. Yep......and you can get them on Ebay for under a hundred bucks. Lots of gnashing of teeth and hair pulling about the LS control arms and how expensive it is, etc. I dont get it.

If it ever comes time to repair mine, I will buy the bushings online, rent a press, buy a six pack o' beer and go to it.....maybe 3 hours of my time.
In my particular case, I am not a mechanic, don't want to start now. I prefer a Lexus trained Technician work on my car and keep it ALL Lexus as long as I own it. I'd rather let the mechanic do it and drink my six-pack at home while driving their loaner car.
Old 08-07-14, 02:01 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut
In my particular case, I am not a mechanic, don't want to start now. I prefer a Lexus trained Technician work on my car and keep it ALL Lexus as long as I own it. I'd rather let the mechanic do it and drink my six-pack at home while driving their loaner car.
I agree with you although I too would do the work myself as I have the tools and experience so it's not that hard for me. From looking at EBay you can spend a little more and get replacement control arms that already have the bushings pressed in which makes it even easier.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-FRONT-UPPER-CONTROL-ARM-LEXUS-LS460-LS600H-07-12-/261216442091?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3ALS460&hash=item3cd1b696eb&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-LS460-LS460-2-Premium-Front-Lower-Control-Arms-07-12-/161319219525?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3ALS460&hash=item258f5ff145&vxp=mtr
Even with the arms not everyone can do the work granted however any independent mechanic worth their salt can have them replaced and on your way far cheaper.
What Lexus charges both in parts and labor is highway robbery and it makes it seem as if your extended warranty pays for it's self but that's not necessary the reality if you have to buy from the company store.

Last edited by Devh; 08-07-14 at 02:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ogun360 (02-14-21)
Old 08-08-14, 09:07 AM
tlynch41
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off I would get a second opinion from another Lexus dealer. I was quoted the same thing at one dealer, then took it to another dealer and he said they don't really need to be replaced. My 07 with 125,000 runs great, except for hardly noticeable noise when braking. It will not affect safety at all, and considering you have 70K miles, I would just live with it.
Old 08-09-14, 01:03 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My 07 has just been diagnosed as needing new control arms at 70,000km . You should all thank your lucky stars your not in Australia ... They have told me it's $8,500 ! Thank god for extended warranty
Old 08-10-14, 07:00 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Please ask the mechanic if the new control arms are different or if they use a different bushing material.
Old 08-10-14, 07:22 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

New shaped arms with different bushes which sloves the problem and stops it from occurring in another 50Kms
Old 08-10-14, 07:31 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Please ask the mechanic if the new control arms are different or if they use a different bushing material.
FWIW, mine (on the 460) were replaced months before Lexus issued a TSIB for this problem. It was beginning to become a known issue, but it was still the early days (relatively speaking). At the time, I was told that bushings in the new upper control arms were most noticeably changed in terms of their profile and how they fit in the arms. Not sure about material at this point (or about the lower arms), though I do vaguely remember a comment about the material changing in the new design. Part numbers changed for the upper arms but not for the lower.
Old 12-12-14, 08:23 PM
b8b
Rookie

There doesn't seem to be any partucular year of the LS-460's having the control arm bushings cracking and I know of no TSB's issued on them.
Originally Posted by caha14
FWIW, mine (on the 460) were replaced months before Lexus issued a TSIB for this problem.
Originally Posted by tpocean
My local mechanic saw the problem the minute he put it on his lift, and then he printed the 6 page lexus service bulletin L-SB-0021-12
I took the paperwork to the dealer and forced them to address it....(under the lexus warranty)
So is there a TSB on this issue? If so, does that mean you can get free replacement if out of warranty or only under warranty? Forgive me of that's a n00b question. =)
Old 12-12-14, 08:28 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by b8b
So is there a TSB on this issue? If so, does that mean you can get free replacement if out of warranty or only under warranty? Forgive me of that's a n00b question. =)
A Toyota Service Bulletin is a reporting system that is used point the tech in the right direction. It is not a recall and it doesn't mean that every car will have the issue.
Almost all Toyota cars and truck models have TSBs but only a handful will suffer a known issue.
Old 12-13-14, 08:28 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default LS-460 Lowqer Control Arm Bushing

Originally Posted by b8b
It seems several year models of the LS-460's have cracked lower control arm bushings. Luckily, I had a Lexus Platinum $0 Deductible Extended Warranty on my 2009. Lexus shelled out $5,000 to MY shop to replace them all. I could not tell they were crackked by driving it, and could tell no difference after they replaced them. Just glad I had the Warranty. Good luck.
Old 12-13-14, 01:31 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

It seems several year models of the LS-460's have cracked lower control arm bushings. Luckily, I had a Lexus Platinum $0 Deductible Extended Warranty on my 2009. Lexus shelled out $5,000 to MY shop to replace them all. I could not tell they were crackked by driving it, and could tell no difference after they replaced them. Just glad I had the Warranty. Good luck.
I have a couple of them cracked too - doesn't or hasn't affected the ride quality yet - I'm not replacing them until they do. Then I'll just buy the stuff on ebay and do it myself.
Old 01-08-15, 06:18 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I took my LS460 to the Lexus dealership to replace the battery (within the battery 2 year warranty period, bad cell) they noticed uneven wear on my tires....recommended I get an alignment/new tires. I took the car to Davenport Motors (highly rated independent Lexus shop here in Dallas) who diagnosed a $4500 replacement of 8 of the control arms (plus a leaky passenger side strut for $540).

Strut was a part that they said would be needed to be fixed, whereas the control arms, due to cracked bushings, are "highly recommended".

Yay?

I may take it back to the Lexus dealer for another opinion (if they said tires/alignment is all that's needed) but also do trust what Davenport motors said....a matter of whether I replace it now as a preventative measure (and find the most cost-effective means to do it) or wait till it becomes a real issue/annoyance later down the road...
Old 01-08-15, 06:51 PM
b8b
Rookie

Originally Posted by Wandl
wait till it becomes a real issue/annoyance later down the road...
I second this.
Old 01-09-15, 10:36 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Ls-460 control arm bushings

Originally Posted by Wandl
I took my LS460 to the Lexus dealership to replace the battery (within the battery 2 year warranty period, bad cell) they noticed uneven wear on my tires....recommended I get an alignment/new tires. I took the car to Davenport Motors (highly rated independent Lexus shop here in Dallas) who diagnosed a $4500 replacement of 8 of the control arms (plus a leaky passenger side strut for $540).

Strut was a part that they said would be needed to be fixed, whereas the control arms, due to cracked bushings, are "highly recommended".

Yay?

I may take it back to the Lexus dealer for another opinion (if they said tires/alignment is all that's needed) but also do trust what Davenport motors said....a matter of whether I replace it now as a preventative measure (and find the most cost-effective means to do it) or wait till it becomes a real issue/annoyance later down the road...
Davenport's is a good shop. I like Craig at the Plano Parkway store. All mine on my 2009 LS-460 were cracked and Lexus paid them $5,000 to replace them all, on my Platinum Lexus Extended Warranty. $0 Deductible. Could tell no difference in the ride before or after they were changed. If you are not under Warranty and the dealer won't replace them, I'd trade it to the dealer that won't replace them and let THEM eat it. My car had less than 40,000 miles on it when Craig noticed they were all cracked. Good luck.
Old 01-09-15, 11:28 AM
Devh
Racer

Davenport's is a good shop. I like Craig at the Plano Parkway store. All mine on my 2009 LS-460 were cracked and Lexus paid them $5,000 to replace them all, on my Platinum Lexus Extended Warranty. $0 Deductible. Could tell no difference in the ride before or after they were changed. If you are not under Warranty and the dealer won't replace them, I'd trade it to the dealer that won't replace them and let THEM eat it. My car had less than 40,000 miles on it when Craig noticed they were all cracked. Good luck.
I don't see how this would work. If you traded your car to the dealership that wouldn't do the work they would have lowered your trade in value because it needs to be repaired. Then they would have fixed it for almost nothing and sold it to someone else for a profit. In addition to all of this they would have sold you another car and made margins on that as well.

If my bushings ever go bad it will only cost me a few hundred dollars and maybe less then a thousand If I send it to an independent to have them installed.
The warranty only works for piece of mind as long as you buy from the company store.

Last edited by Devh; 01-09-15 at 05:48 PM.

Quick Reply: 08 ls460 needs new control arms