LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone take their LS460 to a Toyota dealership for oil changes ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-13, 07:00 PM
followthep
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just checkout the website http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home you can get service coupon discounts at the Toyota dealership whether you own a Lexus or Toyota. Every discount coupon can be used at different dealerships across the country..they always honor them...Hope this helps to save a few more $$ for anyone.
Old 07-09-13, 09:48 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

When the Toyota dealership challenged me that the car takes 5 qts when I know damn well it takes 9.1..I passed and brought my own oil to Lex dealer and they changed it for about $30 and did inspection..fluids. vacuum and wash

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App
Old 07-10-13, 07:16 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat
Curious...what about having Toyota do the tuneup on the LS? Anyone ever try that?
I'm NOT trying to be a smart A#@, but there really isn't anything to "tune up." The spark plugs go to at least 100,000 miles and the LS-460 has a chain now, NOT a belt, so I really don't know what you would get tuned up. It has electronic ignition so about all they could do would be to change your air filters (Takes 2 you know ) and maybe your cabin air filter. Other than that, keep the brakes good, the oil changed ( 0-20 Toyota Synthetic ) and you should be good for a long time.

Old 06-24-16, 02:23 PM
nowlen
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS460 Plugs @ 60k

Originally Posted by Carnut
I'm NOT trying to be a smart A#@, but there really isn't anything to "tune up." The spark plugs go to at least 100,000 miles
Spark Plugs on an LS should be replaced at 60,000 per the Lexus recommendation. They ain't cheap - but neither is an LS.
As for oil - I ALWAYS change my own every 5,000. A case of OEM filter cartridges is <$50 and full syn on sale is ~$40 for 2x5qt jugs. I don't do it just to save money.... I simply don't trust the 'bottom' mechanics or quick change low-lifes to replace the filter cartridge since it is a PITA and I'm never sure if they are really putting full syn or conventional oil in the crankcase. When I do it myself I KNOW it's done right and I get to peek around for other things that might need attention.
Old 06-24-16, 03:13 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The Toyota dealership have always done my oil changes on my 460 without any issues. Plus their cheaper. Lexus is a division of Toyota.
Old 06-24-16, 03:29 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by nowlen
Spark Plugs on an LS should be replaced at 60,000 per the Lexus recommendation. They ain't cheap - but neither is an LS.
As for oil - I ALWAYS change my own every 5,000. A case of OEM filter cartridges is <$50 and full syn on sale is ~$40 for 2x5qt jugs. I don't do it just to save money.... I simply don't trust the 'bottom' mechanics or quick change low-lifes to replace the filter cartridge since it is a PITA and I'm never sure if they are really putting full syn or conventional oil in the crankcase. When I do it myself I KNOW it's done right and I get to peek around for other things that might need attention.
Changing those plugs out at 60,000 miles is a total waste of money. I didn't even realize that 60,000 miles was the service interval, when did that happen? I want to say mine is 100,000...or is it 120,000?

I changed mine at 105,000, there were no signs of wear on them. I've seen plugs make it to 200,000 miles before they are worn away enough to cause a misfire. They don't make them like they used to, the old ones couldn't make it to 25,000 miles....these things?? Amazing...probably the worst thing that's happened to techs...no longer are they banging out tune ups every 30,000 miles, getting 3 hours of labor. Now it's just a couple filters, topping off on some fluids, rotating the tires and checking the brakes...maybe up sell a brake fluid flush and wiper blades.
Old 06-24-16, 06:00 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Changing those plugs out at 60,000 miles is a total waste of money. I didn't even realize that 60,000 miles was the service interval, when did that happen? I want to say mine is 100,000...or is it 120,000?

I changed mine at 105,000, there were no signs of wear on them. I've seen plugs make it to 200,000 miles before they are worn away enough to cause a misfire. They don't make them like they used to, the old ones couldn't make it to 25,000 miles....these things?? Amazing...probably the worst thing that's happened to techs...no longer are they banging out tune ups every 30,000 miles, getting 3 hours of labor. Now it's just a couple filters, topping off on some fluids, rotating the tires and checking the brakes...maybe up sell a brake fluid flush and wiper blades.
I believe it changed for MY2008 (mine certainly called for 72 months/60,000 miles), and it's footnoted as being tied to the Emission Control Warranty (and I am quoting directly...)

It does seem so premature to change these spark plugs at 60k, especially judging by people's experience/observations here going longer (and they're iridium, too, no?).

Back in the days of the 30k spark plug change, I remember changing them on my '00 Grand Cherokee, and while they had some life left, you could definitely see noticeable wear. Our '01 Accord, on the other hand, could go 105k miles.

My 600 also calls for 60k miles... I am at less than 14.3k, albeit approaching the 6-year mark.
Old 06-25-16, 10:38 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nowlen
First, I do NOT agree with you that ALL quick-change "LOW LIFES" are just that. They are at least working, trying to make a living, feed a family, probably not on Welfare, albeit probably not owning a LS-460. I know what oil they put in my car, I stand there and watch them. I caught them putting in 5-20W FULL SYNTHETIC TOYOTA OIL in my car once, and I told them that's not what I requested. They politely drained it and re-started filling with 0-20W.

I don't think you would trust ANYONE so if I were you, I'd keep doing it myself. I trust the Dealership and I'd be ASHAMED to drive in with my own oil with me. I bet they would go out of their way to SABATAGE something if I was that cheap.

Good luck.
Old 06-25-16, 10:48 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Oil changes at toyota

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Hey guys, I was wondering if any member take their cars to Toyota for oil changes. How was the service? Any issues with filters or turning off the service lights on the dash? I hate the two Lexus dealership around me and have been going to Scottsdale but to avoid driving 25 miles for oil changes I was thinking to take it to a local private shop but I feel like I would still trust a Toyota tech over a guy who works on everything. When I called the gentleman on the phone said it was no issue at all. Just wondering if anyone else has done this

Thanks
I use a Toyota dealership and have NEVER had but one issue. They were putting in 5-20 W Toyota Full Synthetic Oil and I requested 0-20W. They politely drained it and put in 0-20W. You DO need to make Sure they know how many quarts the LS-460 takes. If in doubt, dip-stick it before you leave the lot. Toyota is much less expensive than Lexus, but it's a personal choice. I usually go 7,500 miles and then change it. If we can't afford an oil change, we don't need to be in a LS-460.
Old 06-25-16, 12:28 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Its always good to check things out for yourself whether its an oil change or any repairs that was done. I had a MB that held about 10 quarts of oil and apparent the person that changed it never checked the oil stick because the low oil light came on. The oil level was barely on the dip stick when I checked it and it took my car back to the place and let them know because they should have checked the oil level.