LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 LS 460. My brief test drive and impression

Old 10-28-12, 10:15 AM
bobp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlawr
The features and software on a cell phones, navigation units or computers will always be better that what you can get in any car. But those devices can't drive you anywhere. We're talking about luxury transportation -- what's under the chassis, hood and grill. If you don't like the locked out Nav, Phone, App systems -- just order the car without these features (yeah, right) and use your better mobile devices. Or get the PS Override.
Good points.

I agree the smart phones have more up-to-date software - which is my concern with all of the mainstream manufacturers who prefer to tie functionality updates with model years - and not add new features to cars after they've been purchased.

But I prefer to have this functionality built-in - especially for a vehicle at this price.

Eventually, manufacturers will realize the "infotainment" systems will have to be kept up-to-date - and provide software updates for the usable life of the vehicle -or- figure out a way to completely integrate the smart phones into the onboard systems. [The current Bluetooth/USB integration is very limited, as far as I can tell...]

Lexus should have been able to update my 07 LS 460 to have the new weathers, sports and stocks features from XM - and it's not reasonable to require someone to buy a new vehicle just to get simple updates like that.

But for now, the manufacturers are still treating the onboard electronics like firmware - and not software - and not providing updates.

Except for Tesla - who claims they will provide (free?) updates to the onboard software over the lifetime of the vehicle. They're currently pushing updates every few weeks - and with their built-in 3G/4G connectivity, they should be able to evolve their software to include the latest web-based apps.

Of course, there's no guarantee Tesla will be successful and be able to follow through on this promise - but if they do, hopefully we'll see the same type of support from other manufacturers.

I've just done a more detailed comparison of the new LS & GS with the Model S - and while the new Lexus vehicles have more "luxury" features (blind spot monitor, dynamic radar cruise control, ...) - I might be willing to trade those to have an Internet-connected vehicle - with updatable software.
Old 10-28-12, 10:51 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What is the LS sport version called?
Does it come in awd, for sure?
I did see the build sheet last week for 2013 LS.
I don't recall the exact numbers, but there were about 100 cars being sent in which are ls 460, which included a couple of the sport versions.. all seemed awd.

Only 20 of the 460L were on the list. The salesman did seem to point out that the sport version was a part of the awd list. I could not decipher that build sheet with enough accuracy to be 100% certain but he did seem to be correct that the sport is available in awd (unlike prior LS).

He did say that almost all cars are being built in awd. Is that an accurate observation?

And he said that majority of LS are sold in the normal wheel base and not the L version.

The build sheet numbers are correct - I saw the sheet. I am not sure what the duration of that 120 car delivery would be.. May be its for the first month? That sheet was the total for all 50 Lexus dealers, he said..
Old 10-28-12, 11:18 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

bobp,
You seem to want upgrades to all the things that would distract from safe driving.
Maybe you need the Executive Version where you can sit in the back seat, get a massage and use all your toys full time while your chauffer enjoys driving your Lexus. Not trying to be mean, just saying...
Old 10-28-12, 11:38 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bobp
Good points.

I agree the smart phones have more up-to-date software -

But I prefer to have this functionality built-in - especially for a vehicle at this price.

Eventually, manufacturers will realize the "infotainment" systems will have to be kept up-to-date - and provide software updates for the usable life of the vehicle -or- figure out a way to completely integrate the smart phones into the onboard systems.
Audi offers google map. Its own sim card. $30/month. It makes the car a wifi hotspot.. it would have been even nicer if the car could accept a wifi (such as from a smart phone). I am just wondering out loud as to why the car manufacturers are not taking a hint from apple and android.. to guage the mind of modern consumer.. The LS's bluetooth apps feature is, but a feeble attempt.. I am very surprised.. that such a fine company could not see the writing on the wall of the modern "always connected" consumer..

Last edited by lexus600hl; 10-28-12 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-28-12, 05:57 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

I dont know with all the technology I don't see where the money can be made by charging 30 a month for a hotspot while most smart phones will do that for free, being that you have one. google maps is needed but i often dont use the navi unless I need to know what street I am on.
Old 10-28-12, 06:12 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lextrician
I dont know with all the technology I don't see where the money can be made by charging 30 a month for a hotspot while most smart phones will do that for free, being that you have one. google maps is needed but i often dont use the navi unless I need to know what street I am on.
I agree.. Since most of us can have our phones become wifi hotspot, they could have given us that option.. I assume Audi felt that a guy who pays $50,000 to $100,000 for a car would not worry about $30/month.. its ok.. I used to subscribe for the Lexus link of yester years and barely used it.. I think it was $300 to $500 or so per year.. Later, they raised it to $600 I think, thats when I stopped it..
Old 11-01-12, 07:02 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Yes the F Sport will be available with All Wheel Drive

Most of the sales associates will be trained this month on the new LS460's on an in dealership basis so they may not posses a lot of experience with the new model yet. There have been so many opinions bandied about on this thread that I don't know where to start clarifying before the conversation snowballs...

I was very impressed with the Tesla S electronics and I must say a 17 inch vertical touchscreen is very inviting were I not required to drive at the same time. During my test drive it surfed the net for multiple versions of a Rolling Stones song that we requested. Then it displayed the front page of the New York Times which again is not a driver friendly activity. My favorite feature was the use of Google maps which could be toggled from map to satellite view and even though it took a while to load in square sections of the screen it gave you a real time effect from the large format screen.

Tesla hired some Apple employees to design their system and I give them credit for putting an IPad in the center stack basically. We have reached the biological limit for the number of tasks we can perform while driving. If you notice an erratic driver and pull alongside you will find them on their smartphone and taking their eyes back and forth from the road to their 4-5 inch sceen. Now imagine that they have a 17inch touchscreen to play with.

With an iPhone 5 you can recive text messages on the navigation screen of the new LS460's and it will read them to you. There are an array of replies built in but these functions are still being developed for the LS in motion. Things have changed pretty radically in the technology area for 2013 in all of the Lexus and the LS is the latest and most advanced yet. This is not just a dash or grille design change as some of you are perceiving...

All of the suspensions and even the wheels have a new design that absorbs impact energy so the drive experience is enhanced. The body is much stiffer with augmentation in critical areas using high tensile strength alloy steel. The new LS is lighter in weight and fuel efficiency is improved while horsepower increases by a modest 6 HP.

Both the interior and exterior lighting have changed with the liberal use of LED's. If you already own an LS600hL this will not be as big of an evolution but the turn signals, daytime running lights and fog lights are now LED's.

It would be easier to describe what didn't change which is the door sheet metal....

Rock
Old 11-01-12, 10:19 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

i think the car looks amazing, even more in person. I plan to get a 600hL in 2017/2018 timeframe...that is unless I get bored of the big body and get a smaller performance sedan..but, can't see that happening. I see a lot of nice older LS400s and 430s on the road and they love them...maybe get a fun daily like an M5 or something and just keep my 600 for road trips and runnin family around
Old 11-01-12, 05:20 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CJITTY
i think the car looks amazing, even more in person. I plan to get a 600hL in 2017/2018 timeframe...
I see that you sold your 2007 and got the 2008 600.. I did the same.. There is something about the 600 that makes it very special.. Frankly, the 460 was just fine and I really don't think it is any less but then, there is something about the 600.. may be just my imagination?

The good/bad thing about the 600 is that it does not seem to retain value, in resale from new. Probably only 10% more than a 460L, used.. New, it is often 40% more expensive?

I for one would probably get xjl awd, if I decide to change my car(s).. depending on their jag's rates.

I got a jaguar XF 5.0 liter for my son and I found it more exciting to drive than the e class and the ES/GS.. He felt the same way. I was never a fan of the old jaguars but the new design - interior and exterior - is quite impressive to me.. cjcity - you should at least test drive the jaguar XF 5 liter. Of course, the M5 also is a very fun car.. I compared the SF to audi S5 and I prefered the XF. Both have about the same size engine (S5 might be 4.5 liter?).

Last edited by lexus600hl; 11-01-12 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-02-12, 09:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus600hl
I got a jaguar XF 5.0 liter for my son
Just so you know, I am available for adoption

You won't even have to buy me the 5.0, I'll take the 4 banger!

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-02-12 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-02-12, 11:33 AM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sw10es
just so you know, i am available for adoption :d

you won't even have to buy me the 5.0, i'll take the 4 banger!
.......... :d (how come my emocon does not show up as a smiley face?)
Old 11-02-12, 02:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Buy me that Jag and I'll tell ya why
Old 11-04-12, 09:15 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Here's something that is new on the 2013s. I can't tell if this is an option or standard on all cars. It might turn out to be very effective.

Old 05-18-13, 03:50 PM
Twista4004
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you gentlemen are quite the forgiving... I find it utterly insulting that Lexus is allowing their top of the line LS to be confused for an ES. While the ES is awesome too, it's my wife's car. There should be no confusion, however fleeting, of whether that new Lexus is the ES, GS, or LS. It irks me so. I had a relative get in my car and say, "you know this is a fancy Camry right?" I think I almost had a stroke. No, It's an LS also known as the LS. Yeah, it used to be a Celsior (coolest of all time) but even in Japan, it's now the LS.

........and yes I know this is a dead thread. I just had to vent this.
Old 05-18-13, 06:10 PM
chuang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad to hear some of you feel the same way about the Lexus' new front grill. I am so dissapointed that I will no longer consider another Lexus anytime soon. I am considering trading my 09 LS for a 2014 Mercedes S550.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 LS 460. My brief test drive and impression