LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New LS460 owner - couple of audio questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-12, 01:37 AM
jimxms2
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New LS460 owner - couple of audio questions

Hi Guys,

Hope you can helpw ith this as it's driving me nuts trying to work out....

1) I purchased a cable for my iPhone that plugs into the bottom of it (not the main headphone jack) and provides three RCA connectors at the other end. One for video (yellow) and two for audio (red/white). I have plugged these into the corresponding AUX sockets in the center console, but on switching through the inputs using the 'MODE' button on my steerign wheel I do not get an 'AUX' option. What am I doing wrong?

2) My LS has the rear entertainment and the OEM headphones for the kids. How can I let the kids watch a movie in the back via the DVD player and their headphones, while me+wife listen to the radio?

Thanks for all help.

Jim
Old 10-11-12, 03:41 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

1. You need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm phono stereo cable..plug one end to headphone jack of phone and other to Aux jack

2. You can't unfortunately. This has been discussed. May want to try searching older posts for more info.
EDIT..it is 100% possilbe, see further down in my latter posts

Last edited by CJITTY; 10-11-12 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-11-12, 04:10 AM
jimxms2
Rookie

Originally Posted by CJITTY
1. You need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm phono stereo cable..plug one end to headphone jack of phone and other to Aux jack

2. You can't unfortunately. This has been discussed. May want to try searching older posts for more info.
Damn and double damn!

I avoided the 3.5mm jack version as I thought it would be best to tap the unamplified source from the bottom of the iphone rather than the crappy sound from the top. I guess I'll have to go get myself another cable

Thats a shame about point 2. I did do a search which brought up a thread where someone 'thought' it was possible, but I probably didn't follow the thread to the end. Me and the wife will have to sit in silence while the kids watch Lion King then!

Thanks for the clarification.

Edit: Hang on, if I buy a 3.5mm to 3.5mm, where do I plug in the other end of the 3.5mm? My center console only has RCA (phono) conenctions as far as I can see....unless I'm beign stupid?

Last edited by jimxms2; 10-11-12 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-11-12, 04:28 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

you may want to consider replacing the oem headrests with aftermarket ones with built in dvd players (an screen) they will work separate from the factory system but work together so both kids can wath the same movie (or individual where they can watch different movies) while you and your are in front listening to music.. they come pretty cheap nowadays..

im only showing rosen and vizualogic because i think they work the best albeit not very cheap (also they make versions that are ipod compatible too)

http://www.rosenentertainment.com/ro...estsystems.htm

http://www.vizualogic.com/shop/
Old 10-11-12, 07:23 AM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxms2

Edit: Hang on, if I buy a 3.5mm to 3.5mm, where do I plug in the other end of the 3.5mm? My center console only has RCA (phono) conenctions as far as I can see....unless I'm beign stupid?
There should be an aux outlet for it in the arm rest right beside the 12v outlet.
Old 10-11-12, 12:31 PM
jimxms2
Rookie

Originally Posted by MrExecutiv
There should be an aux outlet for it in the arm rest right beside the 12v outlet.
Is it in between the three phono connectors? I couldn't see it, but its dark in there.

BTW I have worked out how to let the kids in the back watch a DVD and listen to it via the headphones while playing the radio. So it IS possible
Old 10-11-12, 03:04 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

what model year is your LS? If > 2010 you can use blue tooth to connect to the head unit. You can also use USB to connect your iPhone.

I have a 2012 LS and this works. However Lexus has totally screwed up the sound in the LS. It sounds awful with no bass. I replaced a 2008 LS with a 2012 LS and I am regretting it big time. A Toyota Sienna with the JBL system sounds better than this LS with the Mark Levinson system. I tried every other 2012 LS that they had on the lot and they all sounded terrible. I even had the dealer compare the 2012 to my old LS that was on the lot and they agreed that the 2008 sounded better.

All I get from Lexus is that it's working as designed with an offer to give me some service coupons.

Last edited by nsaldanh; 10-11-12 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-11-12, 05:03 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxms2

BTW I have worked out how to let the kids in the back watch a DVD and listen to it via the headphones while playing the radio. So it IS possible
So how did you do it?
Old 10-11-12, 05:31 PM
CJITTY

[QUspl andyV;7536620]So how did you do it?[/QUOTE]

I have an 08 so I need to know..I've been too lazy to fuss with it. My thought was to connect an external portable DVD to the input in thr armrest..not use the in dash DVD

So how?
Old 10-11-12, 08:56 PM
CJITTY

SUCCESS!!!!

I just went out to the garage and figured out how to play two separate sources with the rear seat entertainment system. So i would like to retract my previous post that it cannot be done...it can.

Here is what I did as an example:

1. Selected DVD video as the source up front
2. Used remote in rear armrest and selected DVD Video on the rear screen
3. Click the Source Button on the remote and look at the rear screen
4. Scroll over to the bottom right corner and select "Speaker Output". As you push the joystick button in to select, it will highlight or un-highlight the Speaker Output button. When it is unhighlighted, you will retain DVD audio in the wireless headphones and can still select a different audio source either with rear armrest or front controls.

This is a huge relief and this question can finally be put to rest. I'll post a video that I just made explaining this shortly

Last edited by CJITTY; 10-11-12 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-11-12, 10:11 PM
CJITTY

As promised, here is the video on how to listen to two different sources at the same time

Last edited by CJITTY; 10-11-12 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-12-12, 08:30 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Nicely done, sir.

Is there an external video input?

For example, can I plug a camera or a digital TV tuner into the system?

Thanks.

Last edited by RandyV; 10-12-12 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-12-12, 09:35 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by RandyV
Nicely done, sir.

Is there an external video input?

For example, can I plug a camera or a digital TV tuner into the system?

Thanks.
Inside front armrest then select video on rear screen
Old 10-12-12, 04:35 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Inside front armrest then select video on rear screen
Thanks.

Inside the front armrest on mine there is only a power outlet (cig plug) and a small plug input for an audio source - assuming for an ipod or such.

I am able to watch DVDs on the nav screen. I don't have a rear screen.

Any other ways to hack a video input on my 2007 460?
Old 10-12-12, 05:18 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by RandyV
Thanks.

Inside the front armrest on mine there is only a power outlet (cig plug) and a small plug input for an audio source - assuming for an ipod or such.

I am able to watch DVDs on the nav screen. I don't have a rear screen.

Any other ways to hack a video input on my 2007 460?
Since you don't have the rear entertainment system..you wont have the rca cable ports in the armrest by the 12v power outlet..you may want to look into some aftermarket modules. Vaistech.com may be a good start. Especially if you have an android phone..you can turn your Nav screen into a bigger screen version of your phone and play videos that way. I think its around $599 and there are discussions on this product here within the 460 forum and they have demo vids on their website

Last edited by CJITTY; 10-12-12 at 05:23 PM.

Quick Reply: New LS460 owner - couple of audio questions