LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New Interior LED Upgrade Mod

Old 03-16-17, 05:51 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Tvlexus
I read thru this thread and got the bug to change the interior of my 2012 LS460L to LED. I cant find in this thread which side of dome fixture has the pull down pins. Can anyone provide guidance on the front and rear dome light fixtures or where I can find the instructions?
I am not sure what you mean by pull-down pins. You can see the location of the plastic tabs that snap into the housing. Although some folks make it sound as if it is VERY easy, when I was doing it for the first time, I was worried about breaking the plastic tabs or cracking the dome cover. You have to use the skinny metal tools (the plastic ones didn't work for me) and have a lot of patience. Ultimately, you have to just apply that extra bit of force/leverage to pop the tabs out. Once you start prying out one corner or side, you will figure out what needs to be done to pop the covers off. I doubt very much you will find instructions for removing the covers. I am somewhat clumsy, so if I can do it, you certainly can! Good luck!
Old 03-17-17, 02:17 PM
Tvlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks comotiger. I thought one side had pins and one side and slide tabs. So you had to pry down the side with the pins and then slide the side out with the tabs. Did you remove the whole dome panel of just the center plastic dome light cover?
Old 03-17-17, 08:38 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Thanks comotiger. I thought one side had pins and one side and slide tabs. So you had to pry down the side with the pins and then slide the side out with the tabs. Did you remove the whole dome panel of just the center plastic dome light cover?
There are no pins, only plastic tabs along the edges of the plastic cover. You just remove the plastic cover not the entire dome panel. You can pop out the cover along one side and work carefully to pop the tabs out in another location. There will be a tendency to be very gentle and tentative at the beginning, especially if you haven't done this before (as was the case with me), but after a while you will get better and figure out how to pop the cover off. For me, the rear dome cover was easier to remove than the front. I had to remove both covers a couple of times, and the process was easier and faster the second time around. Good luck!

This pry tool set from Amazon worked well, especially the metal tools.
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-31-17, 06:04 PM
Tvlexus
Driver School Candidate

OK I got the LED bulbs put in. The tool set from Amazon was very helpful. Dome cover was just like you said and even though I thought I was forcing way too much, it did come off just like you said. Changed the dome lights, vanity mirror lights,the rear dome light and trunk lights without a issue. Everything works great and much brighter. But the driver door courtesy light (the one on the bottom of the door does not work. I changed it and I must have blown a fuse but I be damn if I can find it. Neither bulb works and I checked the fuse box under the steering column. No blown fuses that I sure can't find it and all the other interior lights work. My manual doesn't have a key for the fuse panels so I checked all the 5 and 10 amp fuses and they all are good.

Scratching my head on this one.
Old 04-01-17, 06:35 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

OK I got the LED bulbs put in. The tool set from Amazon was very helpful. Dome cover was just like you said and even though I thought I was forcing way too much, it did come off just like you said. Changed the dome lights, vanity mirror lights,the rear dome light and trunk lights without a issue. Everything works great and much brighter. But the driver door courtesy light (the one on the bottom of the door does not work. I changed it and I must have blown a fuse but I be damn if I can find it. Neither bulb works and I checked the fuse box under the steering column. No blown fuses that I sure can't find it and all the other interior lights work. My manual doesn't have a key for the fuse panels so I checked all the 5 and 10 amp fuses and they all are good.

Scratching my head on this one.
There are fuse panels under the hood as well. Passenger side along the inside of the fender. Use Google Images to see excerpts from owners manuals. Just Google "LS460 Fuse Panel Diagram"
Old 06-27-17, 11:39 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone with a 2014 LS 460 that can give a specific model and count of what was bought to do a full interior conversion to LED?
Old 07-07-17, 12:55 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

anyone with the models for a 2014?
Old 09-29-17, 06:55 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

What did people use in the trunk. I bought the 4 pack. used two for the center front light, one for the backseat one, put the last one in the trunk but the cover doesn't' want to stay closed. Can you file it down or will it ruin the board?
Old 09-29-17, 08:29 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigsherv
What did people use in the trunk. I bought the 4 pack. used two for the center front light, one for the backseat one, put the last one in the trunk but the cover doesn't' want to stay closed. Can you file it down or will it ruin the board?
I used Philips 194LEDs for the trunk lights and they fit perfectly. Check out this thread by Dr.Jekyll, and the last few posts for the trunk lights.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...d-upgrade.html

I gave up trying to swap in LEDs in the vanity lights, as I was afraid of breaking the cover trying to pry it out, especially in the front.
The following users liked this post:
bigsherv (09-29-17)
Old 10-14-17, 10:28 AM
bigsherv
Intermediate

So I went the 36 smd one’s the OP recommended. They did their job but it was embarrassingly bright. I wrote the vendor and we though the 12 would be a better choice. There was. 24 smd option but he said the light output was similar to the 36. I put the 12 in today and I feel it is a much better choice than the 36. Way brighter than the stock bulbs. Better color match. Best of all not blindingly bright. Also the 12 smd option fits in the trunk also.
Old 01-02-18, 08:51 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Anyone ever replace the bulb in the glove box? Mine is not working and i bought a replacement but cannot figure out how to remove the old one.

Do i have to remove the whole box???

There seems to be a panel next to the light but if you pry it back it feels like it wants to break.

Anyone have any info on this?

Thx
Old 04-26-19, 06:28 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Anyone ever replace the bulb in the glove box? Mine is not working and i bought a replacement but cannot figure out how to remove the old one.

Do i have to remove the whole box???

There seems to be a panel next to the light but if you pry it back it feels like it wants to break.

Anyone have any info on this?

Thx
Same here , bump for help!
Old 04-26-19, 06:30 PM
jkittlesen
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I have one for those of you who say get a flashlight!

Last edited by jkittlesen; 04-26-19 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-26-19, 11:41 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 210 Likes on 188 Posts

The original links no longer work
The following users liked this post:
MattMurrah (12-29-20)
Old 12-29-20, 08:34 AM
MattMurrah
Driver School Candidate

This link worked for me today...