LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Unfortunate Incident on 2008 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 06:23 AM
vamsi03
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unfortunate Incident on 2008 LS460

Hi everyone
I was getting out of our apartment garage yesterday in the eveing around 6pm and we were hit by a backing up honda civic. He hit us on the driver side bumper and the bumper has a big enough dent on it.

I was shocked and clue less as i baby my car.I called local police and they asked us to exchange insurance as it is a parking lot incident and we did.I called my insurance and reported the claim.They adivsed me to go to a approved body shop.

What are my options

Do i go to a approved reputed body shop
Do i take it to the lexus dealership

Any other insight will be greatly helpful

Thanks
Vamsi
Old 09-24-12, 07:29 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vamsi03
Hi everyone
I was getting out of our apartment garage yesterday in the eveing around 6pm and we were hit by a backing up honda civic. He hit us on the driver side bumper and the bumper has a big enough dent on it.

I was shocked and clue less as i baby my car.I called local police and they asked us to exchange insurance as it is a parking lot incident and we did.I called my insurance and reported the claim.They adivsed me to go to a approved body shop.

What are my options

Do i go to a approved reputed body shop
Do i take it to the lexus dealership

Any other insight will be greatly helpful

Thanks
Vamsi
post a pic up, I fix bumpers and I can tell you how bad it is
Old 09-24-12, 07:36 AM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Accident

Most reputable insurance companies allow you to take your car in for repair at a place of your choosing. My insurance company will not even suggest who I should take it to. I would opt for the dealer because your are more likely to get OEM parts . Other companies go for aftermarket parts to keep the price down. Insurance companies always pay less to the repair companies than the actual estimate. Stick to your guns as they have to repair it in a manner that is satisfactory to you or any average persons expectations. If not make them take it back and have it redone, which will be at the insurance companies expense. We all pay rather high premiums and should be treated properly when we have a valid claim. In your case it is going to be the other person's fault. You can always have the repair done through your insurance company, you pay the deductible up front and after the claim is all processed your company will go back through the other person's insurance and get your deductible back for you. In a couple of times when I have been hit, that is what I have done. I trust my insurance company , not necessarily the other person's insurance company. This way still does not affect your premiums as the accident was not your fault.
Old 09-24-12, 09:07 AM
vamsi03
Driver School Candidate

Sure.Will post the pic this evening
Originally Posted by Nexson
post a pic up, I fix bumpers and I can tell you how bad it is
Old 09-24-12, 09:10 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure how your state and insurance company handles these. Here in Florida regardless of who is at fault, claims on your policy has the effect of raising rates or removing claim free discounts.

My wife's Prius was hit in front bumper by an elderly driver as I was pumping gas in our car. The car was less than a week old and this was the first tank of gas. I called my insurance company, State Farm, on the spot. They suggested I call other drivers company rather than processing a collision claim with them. We called Other drivers company, Allstate, on the spot. Other driver admitted his fault to his company..

I took the Prius to a Lexus dealer body shop and they replaced the bumper cover perfectly.

They painted it off the car and baked it in their hot room before installing it. It was a perfect repair. 7 years later it still looked perfect.

Other driver's insurance paid bill directly and a claim was never filed with my company.

I had another car that was previously a rental car for the first 6 months of its life. About a year after I bought it the bumper covers were peeling. I suspect they were repaired inexpensively prior to being sold to me.

Get a good quality repair with a warranty.

Last edited by FLYCT; 09-24-12 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-24-12, 09:12 AM
vamsi03
Driver School Candidate

You are right.My insurance which is 21st century asked me to go to their approved body shops if i wanted to but can always go to a shop of my choice and my preference would be the local lexus dealership.

Iam assuming that the other driver is at fault because he was backing up without noticing my car
he tried to tell me that i was at fault and crap and for which i politely asked him to give his insurance details and told him that our insurance companies would take care of this incident from there

thank you again for your input

Originally Posted by Valley101
Most reputable insurance companies allow you to take your car in for repair at a place of your choosing. My insurance company will not even suggest who I should take it to. I would opt for the dealer because your are more likely to get OEM parts . Other companies go for aftermarket parts to keep the price down. Insurance companies always pay less to the repair companies than the actual estimate. Stick to your guns as they have to repair it in a manner that is satisfactory to you or any average persons expectations. If not make them take it back and have it redone, which will be at the insurance companies expense. We all pay rather high premiums and should be treated properly when we have a valid claim. In your case it is going to be the other person's fault. You can always have the repair done through your insurance company, you pay the deductible up front and after the claim is all processed your company will go back through the other person's insurance and get your deductible back for you. In a couple of times when I have been hit, that is what I have done. I trust my insurance company , not necessarily the other person's insurance company. This way still does not affect your premiums as the accident was not your fault.
Old 09-24-12, 09:15 AM
vamsi03
Driver School Candidate

May be it is too late for me now to go this route as i already filed a claim on my policy
Also the other party was not in a position to accept his fault

Thanks

Originally Posted by FLYCT
I'm not sure how your state and insurance company handles these. Here in Florida regardless of who is at fault, claims on your policy has the effect of raising rates or removing claim free discounts.

My wife's Prius was hit in front bumper by an elderly driver as I was pumping gas in her car. I called my insurance company, State Farm, on the spot. They suggested I call other drivers company rather than processing a collision claim with them. We called Other drivers company, Allstate, on the spot. Other driver admitted his fault to his company..

I took the Prius to a Lexus dealer body shop and they replaced the bumper cover perfectly.

They painted it off the car and baked it in their hot room.

Other driver's insurance paid bill directly and a claim was never filed with my company.
Old 09-24-12, 09:18 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Should have not filed it, typicaly for a bumper repair it will cost less then deduct. and will save you from the claim
Old 09-24-12, 09:27 AM
FLYCT

If required, a new bumper cover painted and installed at Lexus body shop will run close to $1,000.

Most dealers have vendors that do bumper repairs on the vehicle. They use these guys to "perfume the pig" prior to sale. Quality of repair from these guys can vary greatly.
Old 09-24-12, 10:26 AM
vamsi03
Driver School Candidate

I called a body shop recommended by the local lexus dealership and they gave me a quote which is close to $1200.My deductible is 1000$ and i think you are spot on on saying you should not have filed it.My insurance agent told that they would consider this as a 100% fault of the other driver and they would be responsible for paying my deductible

I have also filed a claim with the other driver insurance company which is State farm.They have started the process and it would take atleast 24-48 hours before they can make a decision

Should have not filed it, typicaly for a bumper repair it will cost less then deduct. and will save you from the claim
Old 09-24-12, 11:25 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I would ask the dealer what shop they recommend. The insurance company shops arent always the best. They simply have agreements with the company to warranty their work. Ask the Lexus dealership
Old 09-24-12, 12:30 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Here in Florida regardless of who is at fault, claims on your policy has the effect of raising rates or removing claim free discounts.
Wow, that really stinks. Massahcusetts assesses fault and the at fault person is the one whose premiums go up. What happens in practice is your insurance company pays you for your repairs and then collects that amount from the at fault driver's insurance company.

My wife was rearended twice in the past 2 years (one woman was on her cell phone, and the other woman was busy doing something other than driving). In both cases we had it repaired at our shop at no cost to us and of course no increase in her premiums. She still receives the top good driver discount. I'm glad we don't live in Florida!
Old 09-24-12, 05:08 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

If required, a new bumper cover painted and installed at Lexus body shop will run close to $1,000.

Most dealers have vendors that do bumper repairs on the vehicle. They use these guys to "perfume the pig" prior to sale. Quality of repair from these guys can vary greatly.
Which Lexus body shop btw?

I had the acura in the lexus body shop and had to bring it back three times.
Old 09-24-12, 05:31 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

brandnew bumper from lexus <1000 sewell have bumpers for less than that have them pay for a new one from lexus already painted.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2008/5626.html

that is with the clublexus discount that is!!!
Old 09-24-12, 07:59 PM
FLYCT

Which Lexus body shop btw?

I had the acura in the lexus body shop and had to bring it back three times.

JM LEXUS.

They did the Prius bumper cover for us and it was perfect..

They also did a repair and complete repaint on a hurricane damaged Mitsubishi for my Sister-in-Law. Every body panel on the Mitsubishi had dents from flying objects hitting the car. Hurricane Wilma, and I just saw the car yesterday and it still looks good.

I'm not impressed with the sales side or the service side. Sales low balled me $3000 on a trade recently. I had a CarMax offer on paper and they would not match it. Lexus of Pembroke Pines matched the CarMax offer and sold me a CPO LS another $2000 below JM lowest negotiated price.

JM service also gave me crap about programming 2 Smart Cards I bought off Lexus dealer on eBay. They quoted $69 on the phone and when I got there they jumped price to $99 x2. When I said that Pembroke Pines would program both for $60 they handed me he cards back and said "go to Pembroke" and turned his back on me and walked away.

I've had very good service in Sarasota at Wilde Lexus.

JR

Quick Reply: Unfortunate Incident on 2008 LS460