LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS460L intermittent smell, possibly antifreeze

Old 09-21-12, 05:09 PM
up4speed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 LS460L intermittent smell, possibly antifreeze

I only have about 3,500 miles on my car, every now and then I get a faint smell of possibly antifreeze when I open either of the front doors after a good drive. It's very strange because if I try to locate the source, the smell goes away. Once I exit the car and sniff around, there is no smell in the wheel wells, in the front grill, or under the hood. I then try to sniff under the car just under the front doors, and there is no smell! It is driving me crazy because it does not make any sense. My antifreeze level did not drop, and there is no evidence of any leaks. I didn't put it on my lift yet to examine it carefully, but I'll do that on the next oil change. Does anyone have any ideas for me? I was wondering if there are possibly some hoses that go to the rear of the car for the rear a/c and heat. If so, maybe there is a slight leak on one of the clamps?
Please help!
Old 09-21-12, 05:15 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have 3,500 miles or 35,000 miles on your car?
Old 09-21-12, 05:57 PM
up4speed
Driver School Candidate

LOL,
Thirty Five Hundred!

I know it's low, but the reason it is so low is because my father used to own the car. He bought it new in '08 and spent most of his time in Florida, so the car wasn't used much. I bought it from him in 2010 with 980 miles on it. I have only put about 1,500 miles / year on it because I own 4 cars, and the mileage gets split between them.

I'm still not positive what I describe is an actual problem, but I can swear that it smells like antifreeze. I just can't understand why it keeps going away, or why I can only smell it in the car when I first open the door. I have never smelled anything while the car was stationary and I was outside near the engine or front wheel wells.
Old 09-21-12, 07:45 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by up4speed
LOL,
Thirty Five Hundred!.

In another year or so you'll finally be due for an oil change.

Old 09-21-12, 11:01 PM
up4speed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FLYCT
In another year or so you'll finally be due for an oil change.

LOL, I still change it yearly with synthetic oil even though I don't put the miles on. I do that for all my low mileage cars.
Old 09-22-12, 05:07 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL, I still change it yearly with synthetic oil even though I don't put the miles on. I do that for all my low mileage cars.
I was sure you did but I couldn't help myself.

Something you may want to look into is a product called ASL CAMGUARD.

it seems to be the gold standard in the piston aircraft engines for protection, especially for low use engines. They have an automotive formula. http://aslcamguard.com/wp/wp-content...O-BROCHURE.pdf

I've used it for years in my airplanes. It's good stuff with no negative reports from sears or engine shops.

You mix it with the oil at 5%, so one quart of Camguard should be about right for the LS.

JR
Old 09-22-12, 06:39 AM
marylandlp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default antifreeze smell

LOL,
Thirty Five Hundred!

I know it's low, but the reason it is so low is because my father used to own the car. He bought it new in '08 and spent most of his time in Florida, so the car wasn't used much. I bought it from him in 2010 with 980 miles on it. I have only put about 1,500 miles / year on it because I own 4 cars, and the mileage gets split between them.

I'm still not positive what I describe is an actual problem, but I can swear that it smells like antifreeze. I just can't understand why it keeps going away, or why I can only smell it in the car when I first open the door. I have never smelled anything while the car was stationary and I was outside near the engine or front wheel wells.
Have you noticed the windows fogging up when you smell the antifreeze?if so,that's a sign of a leak fronm the heater core or hose connections.
Old 09-22-12, 02:17 PM
up4speed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by marylandlp
Have you noticed the windows fogging up when you smell the antifreeze?if so,that's a sign of a leak fronm the heater core or hose connections.
It's definitely not inside the car. I can only smell it for a few seconds when I open the door. I don't smell it until I actually open one of the front doors, and the heat from underneath rises into the car. If I had to guess the source of the smell, I would have to say on the undercarriage, right between the front seats (I can smell it when either of the front doors are opened). I know it doesn't make sense, but there is absolutely no smell forward of the front doors. It litterally is an intermittant smell, right under the car, and once I smell it, it goes away in a few seconds so I can't narrow down the source. It doesn't make much sense, but I'm trying to be as exact as I can with the description. I wonder if there is something that is heating up from the exhaust under the car, and smelling? Sometimes heated up rubber can have a slight smell similar to antifreeze. I wonder if it is just something like that, and it's driving me nuts for nothing? After all, it is a very slight smell. I may have to heat it up and run it on the lift, then sniff around underneath it...who knows.
Old 09-22-12, 05:07 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's definitely not inside the car. I can only smell it for a few seconds when I open the door. I don't smell it until I actually open one of the front doors, and the heat from underneath rises into the car. If I had to guess the source of the smell, I would have to say on the undercarriage, right between the front seats (I can smell it when either of the front doors are opened). I know it doesn't make sense, but there is absolutely no smell forward of the front doors. It litterally is an intermittant smell, right under the car, and once I smell it, it goes away in a few seconds so I can't narrow down the source. It doesn't make much sense, but I'm trying to be as exact as I can with the description. I wonder if there is something that is heating up from the exhaust under the car, and smelling? Sometimes heated up rubber can have a slight smell similar to antifreeze. I wonder if it is just something like that, and it's driving me nuts for nothing? After all, it is a very slight smell. I may have to heat it up and run it on the lift, then sniff around underneath it...who knows.
Yeah i think u might have something stuck underneath, or some road kill got under there.
Old 09-22-12, 08:53 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Funny./ I had the same issue with my 07 when I first got it. I had the dealership check the car twice and they said that there was nothing wrong and no leaks. It went away after a few months. The odd thing is I smell the same smell with my wife's 2011 Murano LE. Weird .......
Old 09-23-12, 06:12 AM
gb403
Rookie

Had the same problem with my 08 but when it happened couldn't find anything. Only happens once in a while
Old 09-26-12, 08:37 PM
up4speed
Driver School Candidate

I'm sorry you guys have the same issue, but at the same time I'm glad that I'm not going crazy! Sometimes I second guess myself because it comes and goes so quickly and so randomly.
I know that on some of the newer cars it is common to get a whiff of antifreeze smell every now and then. It is from the cheap spring clamps on the hoses that the manufacturers use. My Xterra and my wifes Mazda CX-9 both had this issue. The manufacturers use these because they are assembly line friendly, and they are cheap. Even though I smelled it on my wifes brand new car, it didn't bother me too much because I knew where it was coming from, and it didn't dop the fluid at all even after 20,000 miles. Actually I think it actually sealed itself with time. It is common with those cars. The part that bugs me with the Lexus is that the smell seems to be coming from an area that has nothing to do with antifreeze. I am hoping that someone who came up with a source of the problem, or a solution reads this and tells me what it is.
Thanks.
Old 11-29-12, 06:11 PM
CpeDeluxe
Driver School Candidate

HELP! I have same miles, same EXACT issue on brand new 2012 LS460 - DID YOU FIND anything???
This one started with stronger smell on passenger side but is now strong hot antifreeze smell when you open either front door. Not a drop on floor, no gauge movement from normal on hot 2-3hr trips - Only had one service six months ago of all fluids at dealer just because it was to sit all year. I pulled all top engine covers off to inspect and found not one thing wet or suspect.

Ready to put on rack to look underneath (below firewall I suppose) just not sure at what, heater core connections? But a head gasket would be 1st guess?
Old 11-29-12, 09:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had the same issue with my car when I first got it and I took it in twice to have it checked. They said all was ok. It stopped after a while. Most likely the tech who last service or inspected the car got a little on the motor and its just heating up and creating the smell. My wife's Murano was the same way. Weird
Old 11-30-12, 01:22 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Put the car on a rack and look.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 LS460L intermittent smell, possibly antifreeze